Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Trival Pursuit: Kenyan Edition

IANAB, but it is entertaining.

Promotional booklets produced in 1991 by Barack Obama's then-literary agency, Acton & Dystel, states that Obama was "born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii", because.........

A) he wrote it

B) his agent did it as a joke.

C) it was a collaborative effort, manufactured for street cred.

D) it was a simple mistake which no one noticed, and subsequently was repeated a few times by others who didn't think anything of it.

E) it's a parallel universe back-story that popped into our reality through a dimensional gateway.

F) it's a vast racist teabagger right wing conspiracy

G) George Bush
Old 05-18-2012, 12:17 PM

H) Hitler
Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 PM

I) Robot
Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM

J) Crew
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

K) guise, enuff kidding around. What is the OP talking about?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM

L) Dorado
Old 05-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
K) guise, enuff kidding around. What is the OP talking about?
This.

M) Breitbart being a douchebag from beyond the grave.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-18-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:31 PM

N) terprising attempt by Breitbart.com to make a mountain out of an error, and by IntelliQ to keep this story going.

Is this really an Elections thread?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
N) terprising attempt by Breitbart.com to make a mountain out of an error, and by IntelliQ to keep this story going.

Is this really an Elections thread?
O) MG An error? Like 'whoops, I accidentally typed 'Kenya' error?

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 05-18-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliQ View Post
Promotional booklets produced in 1991 by Barack Obama's then-literary agency, Acton & Dystel, states that Obama was "born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii", because.........

<snip>

D) it was a simple mistake which no one noticed, and subsequently was repeated a few times by others who didn't think anything of it.
Since the passage in question also contains another obvious error (from kd99's link):
Quote:
He was born in Kenya to an American anthropologist and a Kenyan finance minister and was raised in Indonesia, Hawaii, and Chicago.
Barack Obama Sr. was a civil service economist in the Kenyan Ministry of Economic Planning and Development, not a "finance minister".

Not sure what you mean by "...was repeated a few times by others who didn't think anything of it", though. As far as I can tell, even the Birthers have never brought this up.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 05-18-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
This.

M) Breitbart being a douchebag from beyond the grave.
And this.

P) Attribution of malice to that which can adequately explained by . . . well, in this case, simple carelessness.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Q) uite ludicrous.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
And this.

P) Attribution of malice to that which can adequately explained by . . . well, in this case, simple carelessness.
Ok again...carelessness? They accidentally said that Obama was born in Kenya and his father was a finance minister?

It's material from his literary agent! I don't think he was born in Kenya, but both he and his agent obviously thought it would make a better bio if he was, ditto having his father be a finance minister.

That's not 'careless'...it's a calculated lie to inflate his bio. But it still does nothing to bolster the arguments of the birthers.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 05-18-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: R)
Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Ok again...carelessness? They accidentally said that Obama was born in Kenya and his father was a finance minister?

It's material from his literary agent! I don't think he was born in Kenya, but both he and his agent obviously thought it would make a better bio if he was, ditto having his father be a finance minister.

That's not 'careless'...it's a calculated lie to inflate his bio. But it still does nothing to bolster the arguments of the birthers.
Who exactly is the audience they were targetting with this lie? Book buyers in Kenya?

I'm not a birther, far from it, but the lie to pad his bio doesn't make much sense either.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post

Not sure what you mean by "...was repeated a few times by others who didn't think anything of it", though. As far as I can tell, even the Birthers have never brought this up.
These popped up through Drudge today, he's having a field day.....

2007 client list

2010 Kenyan newspaper

There's plenty more surely. Im too lazy too dig. One can also just chalk it up to a "few" considering the massive amount of writing that's been done about him in the past X amount of years.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
Who exactly is the audience they were targetting with this lie? Book buyers in Kenya?

I'm not a birther, far from it, but the lie to pad his bio doesn't make much sense either.
It's too much of a stretch to believe that material that was
  • meant to get books sold,
  • probably composed with the assistance of or with information provided by Obama
  • proofread by probably yet another party
  • probably approved by O

...can be classified as a mistake.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 05-18-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Obama wrote an actual autobiography where he gives his correct nationality and his fathers correct profession. He pretty clearly wasn't trying to perpetuate a lie. Braingluttons link explains the source of the error, an assistant at the agency made a mistake, presumably because in 1991 no one really cared where Obama was born.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

This ^^^
Old 05-18-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
Obama wrote an actual autobiography where he gives his correct nationality and his fathers correct profession. He pretty clearly wasn't trying to perpetuate a lie. Braingluttons link explains the source of the error, an assistant at the agency made a mistake, presumably because in 1991 no one really cared where Obama was born.
Oh, well if someone who was an assistant at the agency 20 years ago says it ws just a mistake....not sure how anybody could question that.

It was, after all, right there in the Huffington Post, an outlet known for it's skepticism of Obama.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM

R)epublicans love this kind of stuff. It takes the minds of the electorate off of their obfuscatory tactics.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagundathar View Post
R)epublicans love this kind of stuff. It takes the minds of the electorate off of their obfuscatory tactics.
Ahh, I see you chose F.

Damn them right wingers! "Lemmie reword it as R cuz I dont have the eggs to say "it's a speeeeracy!."

Last edited by IntelliQ; 05-18-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM

So how does this blurb written by a third party trump the correct information Obama wrote himself in the book? Did he originally write in his book that he was born in Kenya, and then change that later too?

Otherwise, this is an example of a flunky copywriter at an agency who doesn't apparently care much for details when reading the books junior senators. It's also an example of Obama opponents straying off of Romney's "the economy sucks balls" message, so by all means continue spreading this shit. And post more ridiculous threads like this one everyday until the election.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
  • probably composed with the assistance of or with information provided by Obama
  • probably approved by O

I doubt very much that any of the items on your list, other than the first one, are true. Authors tend to have very little input on how their book is packaged and marketed. The author bio was probably written by a flunky who skimmed the first ten pages, and wasn't vetted by anyone outside of checking for spelling and grammar mistakes. Odds are good Obama never saw it until it was published.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliQ View Post
Ahh, I see you chose F.

Damn them right wingers! "Lemmie reword it as R cuz I dont have the eggs to say "it's a speeeeracy!."
No. I did not posit the existence of some vast right-wing conspiracy.
That would take a significant amount of actual work and talent to accomplish.

It is much easier to attribute laziness and narcissism to the current Congressional leadership than anything resembling consensus seeking behavior.

And, the letter 'R' was the next one in line to be taken. I was going to say
R)idiculously this is still an issue, at least according to some.

Perhaps that would have been wittier.
That is our goal here, isn't it?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Yeh, yeh, that's just what Breitbart said . . . or seemed to be saying . . . it's hard to tell.

Quote:
Note from Senior Management:

Andrew Breitbart was never a "Birther," and Breitbart News is a site that has never advocated the narrative of "Birtherism." In fact, Andrew believed, as we do, that President Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on August 4, 1961.

Yet Andrew also believed that the complicit mainstream media had refused to examine President Obama's ideological past, or the carefully crafted persona he and his advisers had constructed for him.

It is for that reason that we launched "The Vetting," an ongoing series in which we explore the ideological background of President Obama (and other presidential candidates)--not to re-litigate 2008, but because ideas and actions have consequences.

It is also in that spirit that we discovered, and now present, the booklet described below--one that includes a marketing pitch for a forthcoming book by a then-young, otherwise unknown former president of the Harvard Law Review.

It is evidence--not of the President's foreign origin, but that Barack Obama's public persona has perhaps been presented differently at different times.
Every successful politician's public persona has perhaps been presented differently at different times, Mr. Breitbart; it's kosher. (Only exception I can think of is Biden . . . dunno how he lasted this long . . .)

Not that that excuses an actual lie about the basic facts of one's past. But, in this particular instance, well, I can't see what practical reason Obama might have had, in 1991 or any other year, to falsely claim Kenyan birth. A subordinate's fact-checking mistake seems to be the choice of Occam's Razor.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 05-18-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
  • probably approved by O

Then what do you call something that is obviously mistaken?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
A subordinate's fact-checking mistake seems to be the choice of Occam's Razor.
And to me, it's a stretch to imagine that the assistant is the only one who saw it...not one single person who knew O's biography better saw the thing and said 'Hey, waitaminit' for years....

Now maybe that's just exactly what happened, but it just makes my brain itch.

Since it can't really be proven either way, and it's not extraordinary important to me, I give up.

Oh yeah...and I gotta pack to go to Florida. Bitches
Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate
not one single person who knew O's biography better saw the thing and said 'Hey, waitaminit' for years....
Which means your position is either D (an amended version which doesn't include the provisions apologising for birther nonsense) or F according to the OP. In all honesty, I think you can agree that if this were common knowledge before the 2008 elections, the birthers would have added it to their pathetic arsenal then and it would have been refuted just as quickly.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagundathar View Post
R)idiculously this is still an issue, at least according to some.
In my humble opinion, the birthers are full of

S) hit.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Have you ever had a literary agent? Have you ever had an agent of any kind?

Let's try an experiment. Grab a novel you know well, and read the blurb on the back. Then report back, and tell us if it's: (a) full of errors, or (b) a faithful summation of the contents of the book.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Since the passage in question also contains another obvious error (from kd99's link):

Barack Obama Sr. was a civil service economist in the Kenyan Ministry of Economic Planning and Development, not a "finance minister".

And yet another - from your quote
Quote:
He was born in Kenya to an American anthropologist and a Kenyan finance minister and was raised in Indonesia, Hawaii, and Chicago.
Obama moved to Chicago after getting his law degree. Saying he was raised there is a bit of a stretch.
Given two obvious errors in one sentence, it isn't exactly a stretch to assume a third. The only miracle here is that this clown got Hawaii right.
Quite a conspiracy when Obama carefully disguises his true birthplace in his book but blabs it to his agent. Agents are well known for making NSA employees look clike blabbermouths. And then not checking it.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
And to me, it's a stretch to imagine that the assistant is the only one who saw it...not one single person who knew O's biography better saw the thing and said 'Hey, waitaminit' for years....

Now maybe that's just exactly what happened, but it just makes my brain itch.

Since it can't really be proven either way, and it's not extraordinary important to me, I give up.
How dare they not be aware that this guy (was he even in the state legislature then?) was going to run for President 17 years later. I bet they put their top PR guys on it.
Exactly how many people do you think studied the publicity material years later? If Obama even saw it, it was probably after it went out, where doing the correction would have just pointed out how incompetent the guy who wrote it was, not to mention being expensive. And who do you think would have cared?

Does astrology make your brain itch also? Because it is more believable than this being part of the great conspiracy.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

T) he product of the same amazing document forgery system that faked Obama's birth certificate and false Honolulu newspaper birth notice. It doesn't have a political agenda, it just springs into action every time an Obama document appears.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerunknown View Post
Which means your position is either D (an amended version which doesn't include the provisions apologising for birther nonsense) or F according to the OP. In all honesty, I think you can agree that if this were common knowledge before the 2008 elections, the birthers would have added it to their pathetic arsenal then and it would have been refuted just as quickly.
Come to think of it, with all that turning over rocks and interviewing Obama's Kenyan relations and dissecting the published BC for signs of forgery, how did they miss this?! Epic fail, Orly! We're disappointed in you!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Come to think of it, with all that turning over rocks and interviewing Obama's Kenyan relations and dissecting the published BC for signs of forgery, how did they miss this?! Epic fail, Orly! We're disappointed in you!
Or, to put it in lolspeak:

U)R DOIN IT WRONG ORLY

Last edited by EddyTeddyFreddy; 05-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It was, after all, right there in the Huffington Post, an outlet known for it's skepticism of Obama.
[shrug] It has more objectivity and much, much more credibility than WND, at any rate.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM

V) ery stupid people keep using very easily-explained events to craft a story of some sort of conspiracy to put Obama in the White House that started in the delivery room at the moment of his birth.

Last edited by Kolga; 05-19-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: ETA: I am not calling anyone in this thread stupid. My "stupid people" remark was directed at birthers in general.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

W) ell, looks like this was a tempest in a teapot.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 AM

How the heck does something like that show up now?

Whether it be the evil birther types or the fair and balanced media, is anybody doing their job ?

What would you all think if the latter had the booklet but didn't think it was news-worthy?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post

Whether it be the evil birther types or the fair and balanced media, is anybody doing their job ?

What would you all think if the latter had the booklet but didn't think it was news-worthy?
If anyone had the booklet and didn't think it was newsworthy I would agree. The bottom line is that this booklet could say Obama was born on Mars and it wouldn't matter since he has a valid Hawaii birth certificate. The birth certificate proves this booklet was incorrect, so anyone that thinks the booklet is correct is most likely willfully ignorant or intentionally dishonest about the topic. The only way it is newsworthy is if one thinks it's appropriate to try and convey lies or inaccuracies as true.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
W) ell, looks like this was a tempest in a teapot.
X) actly.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is a clever ruse, planted by the Obama campaign itself, to distract the right wing propaganda machine from the economy. We are too smart for them.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Y) do we care anymore?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Z)eroes batting zero.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

AA)chen! He was actually born in Aachen!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

AB) He was born in Alberta!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM

AC) tually he wasn't born at all - he was created in a hippie laboratory to destroy the Constitution of the United States.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM
BANNED

AD) Really it's a question of semantics, that is, what you mean by "born." Lizard People have a complicated reproduction cycle. But the Final Hatching definitely took place in Honolulu!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:

I'd agree.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

AE)nima. Birthers were not technically born as that involves a uterus. So out of projection they want to think Obama was once santorum as well.

Last edited by Ludovic; 05-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.