The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:29 AM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Wire from brush used on Grill injures man

Geez that must of really hurt. You gotta love the legal CYA from the brush company. Do they expect us to examine the grill with a magnifying class? Some of those bristles aren't much bigger than a hair.

I use a standard wire brush instead of a grill brush. Never have problems with a wire brush shedding bristles. They're bigger and easier to see.

Quote:
BURIEN, Wash. —
A bristle from a grill brush was found inside of a man’s small intestine.

Connie Sample said the thin piece of metal destroyed six inches of the organ.
Quote:
The wire came off of a brush used to clean a grill. It was made by a company in New York called Mister Barbeque.

A warning was found on the brush’s label that said the bristles may come off and that the grill should be checked for loose bristles.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/gril...testine/nN9DX/
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Taters Taters is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Pacific Northwest
Posts: 6,740
Kind of scary, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 AM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Love my grill.

It's not supposed to turn dangerous on me.

I noticed a made in China label on the brush they showed in the video. There's been a lot of problems, toxic drywall, dog food & dog treats with salmonella. I'm sure heir production quality control will eventually improve.

I'd throw out any grill brush with those really fine, copper bristles. Buy a standard wire brush at home depot.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-19-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Shoeless Shoeless is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I'd throw out any grill brush with those really fine, copper bristles. Buy a standard wire brush at home depot.
Better yet, don't even use a wire brush. I use those green scrubby pads to clean my grill.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Nunzio Tavulari Nunzio Tavulari is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I doubt that it destroyed six inches of his small intestine. Probably cut it up real badly though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 12,573
One one of the medical shockumentaries (Mystery Diagnosis, Medical Incredible, etc.--don't remember which), there was a similar case. A guy had cleaned his grill, and a stray wire ended up getting caught inside him (don't remember exactly where).
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.