SpaceX makes successful launch to the ISS!

Yaaaaahooooooo! :slight_smile:

SpaceX

Falcon 9 rocket

Dragon capsule (reusable)

Wahoo… congrats to SpaceX!

Ad Astra!

Among other things, the two Secret Celebrities on board were James Doohan and Gordon Cooper. Alright, just some of their ashes, but on the way to the ISS they sent the mortal remains of those two and a few hundred others into the Great Black Yonder.

Which is just one more interesting/cool thing on top of everything else.

The feed of the announcer from their first attempted launch was priceless (three, two, one, lift-off! uh oh), but I’m glad the second attempt was successful. I guess this is what space stuff is going to look like now, so this is something to celebrate.

Is this the company owned by the guy who teared up in a TV interview when he found out the Apollo astronauts disapproved of his plans? That interview broke my heart.

I heard the ashes were jettisoned with the booster rocket (perhaps not the right term) - might the ashes end up crashing to Earth or as more space-junk orbiting, only to be hoovered up/lasered at some later date?

Second stage I think.

–Cliffy

Okay - so drifting into oblivion like the end of Dark Star then. Much better for all ashes concerned.

Hmm . . . SpaceX has competitors. “There are now more companies looking to make money in orbit — at least eight — than major U.S. airlines still flying.”

And now comes the interesting part - they’re preparing for docking. Live feed here. If they can successfully dock the Dragon to the ISS, then the mission is a success, and a private company will have proved it can do this sort of thing.

Well, not quite. The distance from the Earth to the ISS is about the same as that from New York to Washington DC. :slight_smile:

The Dragon is in its lair: NASA - SpaceX Launch

"The International Space Station Expedition 31 crew successfully captured the SpaceX Dragon capsule with the station’s robotic arm at 9:56 AM EDT. "

succeeded :slight_smile: it’s docked

It’s not a coincidence that this company is pronounced “space sex,” is it? I mean, they must have been kicking around dozens of potential names, many of which presumably didn’t have “sex” in the name. So surely they’ve got people working on this, right? How long do I have to save up how much money before I can go on a Space Sex adventure?

I love stuff like this.

This is a true step forward.
The fact that SpaceX has competition is awesome as well.
Congratulations to all involved.

I’m so proud.

Me too.

Of course, these guys are essentially government contractors – we won’t really have private-sector space travel until we have some involving no tax dollars at all. But this at least suggests the possibility.

And now, in an achievement nearly as impressive, the SpaceX Dragon returns to Earth!