Weird or Unusual Cheers

It was one of those things that just pop into my mind for no good reason, but I decided to test if my imagination had gone kerflooey and did a Yahoo! search on “brek ek ek ek” to see if anything would happen.

To my astonishment I found Leave it to Yalies to cheer in ancient Greek at a football game – which makes as much sense as the thing ever did to me.

I believe I ran across this “cheer” decades ago, perhaps in a book of old music or college songs or something along those lines. I’m pretty sure I never heard it being used at a game I attended.

But the very idea made me think the topic would be fun to pursue, with other examples of bizarre or crazy cheers from wherever. YouTube clips would be even more exciting. For instance: The Yale Long Cheer

Anyway, what’s the most unusual cheer you’ve run across?

I transplanted smack in to KU country, and after years I still think ‘Rock Chalk Jayhawk’ is one of the stupidest fucking things I’ve ever heard.

No, I am not an MU fan.

Isn’t there a football club in the UK whose fans sing “Always look on the bright side of life” as their official cheer?

If not, there ought to be! That’s hilarious!

There were all sorts of “blue language” cheers that random small groups would scream out at the high school I attended, but they were not “official” by any stretch. Funny, yes. Approved, no.

E to the x, dy/dx, E to the x, dx
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine
Square root, cube root, log of pi
Disintegrate them, RPI!

Obligatory Carlin cheer:

Rat shit, bat shit.
Dirty old twat.
39 assholes tied in a knot.
Hooray!
Lizard shit!
Fuck!

A long time ago, Georgetown University had an amateur athletic club called the Stonewalls, and their fans used to chant “Huia saxa,” a sort of cockeyed Latin phrase meaning (sort of)“What Stones!”

That’s supposedly where the current team nickname, “Hoyas,” came from.

How I miss George.

I always thought ‘Tiny Bubbles’ was a silly fucking song for Man United.

But my entire English football education came from Green Street Hooligans so what do I know.

I think most of the football teams have a song like that. I don’t know they’re official or if they’ve just been so broadly adopted by fans that they are practically official. A bunch of them are not the type of Jock Jams stuff we’d associate with U.S. sports teams.

There’s Bossy Cow Cow, used at UC Davis (which started out as the UC farm school).
Bossy cow cow!
Honey bee bee!
Oleo-margarine
Oleo-butterine
Alfalfa Hay!

It’s a parody of Berkeley’s Oski Yell, itself a somewhat old old cheer.

Rah Rah Ree
Hit 'em in the knee!
Rah Rah Rass
Hit 'em in the other knee!

(from the Union College Flaming Dutchmen).

With minor alterations, this is also used at Rice University.

Weirdest and most unique I’ve seen in person has to be the University of Arkansas’s “Woo, Pig Sooie” chants.

Hit 'em in the left knee!

Hit 'em in the right knee!

Hit 'em in the Wee…need a touchdown, Bulldogs!

This could dissolve inte a thread filled with gag cheers rather quickly…

I heard a slightly different version in the 70’s:

Rat shit, bat shit.
Dirty old twat.
69 douche bags tied in a knot,
Eat shit, lick clit,
Gonorrhea goo;
We are the [team name],
So, Fuck You!

I see no problem with that! In fact, I have been looking for links to such things. So far, nothing worth sharing.

Anybody who is familiar with the Hotty Toddy cheer at Ole Miss probably knows at least one version that is unlikely to be used in “polite company.”

I think you need to watch the movie again.

I’m not sure what Man United’s theme song is, but in the movie, they were with West Ham, whose theme song is “Forever Blowing Bubbles.”

FWIW, Teddy Roosevelt called it the greatest college chant he ever heard.

And I am a KU fan. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that before, but I have yet to see the claim substantiated by anything except KU propaganda.

Don’t even bring the King of Belgium into the conversation. :smiley:

Back when CCNY had the best college basketball team in the world and all the best players were Jewish (and before point shaving scandals destroyed the program), their patented chant was…

“Allagaroo, garoo, gara!”