The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

One Shot at Chicago Pizza. Which restaurant?

My friend needs to get something from the Austrian Consulate in Chicago (tres chic, right?), so we're running up there for like 18 hours next Sunday/Monday. In that time I hope to maybe take a tour of Wrigley Field and eat some pizza.

Last time I got pizza there, I just asked someone on the street and they pointed me somewhere and it was good but I don't remember which place it was.

So, where do we go to get the most out of our short stay when it comes to a real Chicago deep dish? We'll be staying around Michigan & Wacker, so the closer the better. But also near Wrigley is fine.
Advertisements  
Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Pizzeria Uno - 29 East Ohio (by Wabash Ave) is only a few blocks away. Excellent Chicago "deepdish" pizza.

312-321-1000
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM

I like Gino's for the cornmeal crust. Two locations: 162 E. Superior and 633 N. Wells.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM

All the main pizza places are kinda in the same area downtown, but I would say either Pizzeria Uno or Lou Malnati's.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Giordano's or Lou Malnati's. I personally do not like the cornmeal crust at Gino's.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Here they are in order of my recommendation.

Giordano's - Probably the best if you're only going to do one. Their stuffed pizza is classic Chicago and incredibly delicious.

Lou Malnati's - My personal favorite, but not quite the iconic Chicago style. A little thinner than the others.

Gino's - Often recommended and often disappointing, IMO. Cheese tends to be rubbery. Sauce too much like Chef Boyardee. However, this is the most touristy spot, and has a pretty good atmosphere.

Uno's/Due - Pretty good, but doesn't hold a candle to Giordano's or LM's. Claims to have invented Chicago style pizza, but this is hotly disputed.

Noteworthy, but not really Chicago style:

Piece - Makes a good New Haven style. Great beer selection.

Peaquad's - Best standard style in the city. Not too expensive.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I would rank them differently than Randy Seltzer did, but you can't really go wrong with any of those on his list.

FWIW my list would say:

1. Pizzeria Uno/Due
2. Edwardo's
3. Giordano's
4. Malnati's
5. Gino's
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM

For pan (which is halfway between deep-dish and thin crust) pizza, Pequod's or Lou Malnati's (with the buttercrust.) For thin crust, Marie's Pizza and Liquors. For deep-dish, Edwardo's.

Of the three, though, my personal favorite is pan pizza at Pequod's by a nose.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM
僕は女性の香りが大好きですよ。フア!

I'm not a Chicago native and deep-dish pizza for me is... well... a little much and not quite there at the same time. Hey, if you want a good slice, I can take you to a few holes in the wall in New York and Jersey with pizza so delicious it'll make you cry.

That said, the few times I've had deep-dish pizza in Chicago, I have to say that I found Giordano's to be the best, by far.

I don't know where anyone is coming from who says Pizzeria Uno is good pizza. Gag.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 07-02-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Seltzer View Post

Giordano's - Probably the best if you're only going to do one. Their stuffed pizza is classic Chicago and incredibly delicious.

Lou Malnati's - My personal favorite, but not quite the iconic Chicago style. A little thinner than the others.
Seconded on those...

Quote:
Gino's - Often recommended and often disappointing, IMO. Cheese tends to be rubbery. Sauce too much like Chef Boyardee. However, this is the most touristy spot, and has a pretty good atmosphere.

Uno's/Due - Pretty good, but doesn't hold a candle to Giordano's or LM's. Claims to have invented Chicago style pizza, but this is hotly disputed.
Quoted for truth. The two places to avoid are the two most touristy places in the city, Uno's/Due and Gino's East. They are to pizza what Pat's and Gino's are to Philly cheesesteaks - overrated and mediocre. Uno's specifically has the dullest and least flavorful sausage I've ever tasted.

Best crust is Carmen's.

I spend half my time in Kansas City, and it's the same thing. The one or two places that everyone tells you to go to are to be avoided like the plague because they are coasting on their reputation. In the case of Kansas City BBQ, those are Arthur Bryant's and Gates. Any Kansas City resident can take you to several dozen better places. (Woodyard is amazing, if hard to find, and an actual hardwood supply company that started serving BBQ).
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I was in Chicago for the first time last week, and given a bit more time than yourself, I checked out both Gino's and Giordano's. Gino's was okay, but I wouldn't really recommend going out of my way for it. We went there on the first night and (after coming in pretty skeptical about the whole Chicago style pizza thing) I wasn't won over, at all.

We did Giordano's on the second to last night, and it more than redeemed the good name of Chicago. We were with a larger group of friends so I was actually able to taste both the thin crust and deep dish styles, and they were both really good. I don't know if I'd put either Chicago choice at the top of my pizza totem pole, but the Giordano's versions at least deserve places on it.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

If you get a pizza downtown, maybe try Wrigleyville Dogs for another classic Chicago experience when you are out that way.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
For pan (which is halfway between deep-dish and thin crust) pizza, Pequod's or Lou Malnati's (with the buttercrust.) For thin crust, Marie's Pizza and Liquors. For deep-dish, Edwardo's.

Agreed and I now have a crush on Gundy.
Wait - you're a chick right?!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all! I think Giordanos it is!

And maybe Wrigleyville Dogs too
Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
BANNED

Marie's Pizza & Liquors?!?

Checking flights to O'Hare....
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM

I hope others will concur with me on this, but I would suggest you avoid the meat toppings in your deep dish and go with the spinach. It blows away every single person I get to try it (and nobody has declined). If you don't want spinach (a shame), I'd recommend the sausage over the pepperoni.

Any other spinach deep dish fans here?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

I make a point of ordering Marie's extra crispy.
And if you get a chance, check them out a couple weeks before Christmas. They have all these crazy, over the top decorations.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
If you get a pizza downtown, maybe try Wrigleyville Dogs for another classic Chicago experience when you are out that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Thanks all! I think Giordanos it is!

And maybe Wrigleyville Dogs too

Wrigleyville Dogs is good, and is definitely some iconic Chicago food, but an even more interesting experience can be had at The Wiener's Circle in Lincoln Park. It's the place that's world famous for the insults and abuse the staff and customers engage in on a nightly basis. Be sure to order the "chocolate shake."
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I totally concur, but Lou's is classic deep dish. Pequod's is between pan and deep dish. They call themselves pan, I call it deep dish. Edwardos and Giordanos are a more recent (circa 1970s) style called "stuffed pizza." I classify it as a subset of deep dish, but it's not classic deep dish a la Uno's, Due's, Lou's, and Gino's.

I personally don't understand the love for Giordano's, but a lot of people seem to like their stuffed pizza.

For thin, Marie's is awesome, but my faves are Vito and Nicks, and Villa Nova in Stickney. Both a reasonable cab fare from Midway, but not so much O'hare.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-02-2012 at 05:55 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
I hope others will concur with me on this, but I would suggest you avoid the meat toppings in your deep dish and go with the spinach. It blows away every single person I get to try it (and nobody has declined). If you don't want spinach (a shame), I'd recommend the sausage over the pepperoni.

The classic deep dish pie for me is sausage. Hell, even thin crust must be sausage, IMHO. Pepperoni in Chicago just doesn't do it for me. The sausage is where it's at, and a lot of places have their own in-house sausage.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Does Chicago deep-dish properly have a top crust? Seems to me I recall someone coming back from Chicago with some deep-dish that was like that...
Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post

Hmm...I like spinach on my pizza but never with red sauce, only with white.

The girl I'm going with is underweight, we need to get some fatty pizza toppings in to her
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Seltzer View Post

Just a heads up... as someone who is not from Chicago, neither of these names are pronounced like they are spelled.

My partner and another friend (both from Chicago) were discussing which they liked better, and it wasn't until much later that I saw them spelled out, and I thought "ohhhh, that's what they're talking about."

Almost as bad as the guy from Boston trying to explain to me where to park along the lake shore.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM

OK, I'll bite: how are they pronounced?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:32 PM

I believe it's the fennel seeds in the sausage that gives Chicago sausage pizza it's distinctive taste/flavor. Not every Chicago pizza sausage contains fennel. And the places that use it might not tell you their secret ingredients.

Fennel seeds look like tiny footballs with longitudal stripes.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Does Chicago deep-dish properly have a top crust? Seems to me I recall someone coming back from Chicago with some deep-dish that was like that...
The classic deep dish does not. That's what separates deep dish from stuffed pizza. Like I said, I consider a stuffed pizza a subset of deep dish, but not everyone does. Some treat it as two completely different things. And I'm not just talking about nit-picking foodies. Giordano's, Nancy's, Edwardo's, and Art of Pizza all do stuffed pizza (although Art of Pizza also has something closer to a standard deep dish.) Single crust deep dish was developed at Uno's in the early-to-mid-40s. Stuffed pizza did not come on the scene until Nancy's in 1972.

Here's an article on stuffed pizza. This particular blogger is of the opinion that deep dish and stuffed pizza are completely different animals:

Quote:
Most prominent among those new pizzas are the stuffed pies that are often mistakenly lumped together with deep dish under the moniker "Chicago style pizza." While the two versions of pizza certainly look similar while sitting in their respective pans, other than their large size and shared characteristic of featuring tomato sauce on top of the cheese, they actually do not have much in common.
I'm not sure I'd make the taxonomy so distinct, but I do share the opinion that deep dish and stuffed are different enough pizzas that some distinction should be made. I don't really like stuffed pizza, but I like deep dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
I believe it's the fennel seeds in the sausage that gives Chicago sausage pizza it's distinctive taste/flavor. Not every Chicago pizza sausage contains fennel. And the places that use it might not tell you their secret ingredients.

Fennel seeds look like tiny footballs with longitudal stripes.
It's not really a secret ingredient at all. Fennel is a common component of American-style Italian sausage. In fact, it's THE defining flavor of what is sold generically as "Italian sausage" in an American grocery store. I've never had store-bought Italian sausage that was not a fennel-flavored fresh sausage.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-02-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Another vote for Lou Malnati's.

It may not be strictly traditional deep dish but it is way better than the vile cheese slab & really sweet tomato sauce baked in a bland crust that Pizzeria Uno/Due get away with serving.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
OK, I'll bite: how are they pronounced?
They are definitely pronounced as spelled... Gee-or-DAH-no's and Mall-NOT-ee.

Anyway these were the top two in a recent poll I made for best Chicago pizza. Giordano's is my favorite. Get the stuffed spinach.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
The classic deep dish does not. That's what separates deep dish from stuffed pizza. Like I said, I consider a stuffed pizza a subset of deep dish, but not everyone does. Some treat it as two completely different things. And I'm not just talking about nit-picking foodies. Giordano's, Nancy's, Edwardo's, and Art of Pizza all do stuffed pizza (although Art of Pizza also has something closer to a standard deep dish.) Single crust deep dish was developed at Uno's in the early-to-mid-40s. Stuffed pizza did not come on the scene until Nancy's in 1972.

Here's an article on stuffed pizza. This particular blogger is of the opinion that deep dish and stuffed pizza are completely different animals:

I'm not sure I'd make the taxonomy so distinct, but I do share the opinion that deep dish and stuffed are different enough pizzas that some distinction should be made. I don't really like stuffed pizza, but I like deep dish.

It's not really a secret ingredient at all. Fennel is a common component of American-style Italian sausage. In fact, it's THE defining flavor of what is sold generically as "Italian sausage" in an American grocery store. I've never had store-bought Italian sausage that was not a fennel-flavored fresh sausage.
You link is interesting. I would dispute that most of the big Chicago style stuffed pizza places have crust on top. I am a serious adherent of Giordano's and Art of Pizza, and I'm pretty damn certain there's no crust on top of them, I realize the blogger you quote says it barely noticeable, but I'm still really skeptical and I've seen Giordano's made on TV often enough to claim some degree of certainty on that.

To the OP, I definitely encourage you to try any of the options. I agree that Gino's East is really overrated and would not be my choice, but I think their supreme with the disk o' sausage and the corn crust is distinctive enough to warrant a sample. I wouldn't go there for a simple cheese or pepperoni though.

Uno's is probably my least favorite because it's the least cheesy and is frankly somewhat bland. It's a poor example of what people imagine "Chicago Style" to me. That said, it has the best ambiance of the lot hands down and that is really worth something when considering tourists biases. That said, because it's the thinnest of the "pan" styles it may appeal to some folks who aren't into the cheese pie style and actually like a buttery, bready crust.

Lou Malnati's is very similar to Uno's to me. Thin and bready without enough topping to carry it off. Their toppings are however very tasty and they have some combinations that really are worth trying. This is a place where I always order "extra cheese" and something more than just 1 topping. Perhaps Lou's and Uno's are the most traditional representatives of the style, but I think the style has been improved upon in the ensuing 60+ years.

Giordano's as mentioned is my favorite of the big names by a wide stretch. It's stuffed pizza, but it's similar enough to Chicago pan to be indistinguishable to a newbie. I just love their sauce and the pure cheesy indulgence of it, I tend to stick with pepperoni when I get Giordano's because for me it's all about the cheese. Too many veggies and stuff get in the way, but have at it. The biggest downside to Giordano's is that it's become a chain. All the big names have opened a lot of locations, but Giordano's is probably the most widely spread and has the least character in some of the new locations. The food hasn't suffered, but there's no "vibe" at most locations, Rush and Superior excepted. Of course Giordano's hasn't been bastardized the "Uno's" chain was, so fear not.

Pequod's might be my all-time fave. It helps that it's right down the street from my apartment, but it's just so good and unique enough to warrant a sample. The burned edges are divine. Consistency can be an issue for Pequod's, it perhaps more bready than any of the options above and when the cheese portion gets skimpy it can be really disappointing. That said, when it's on it's extraordinary.

As an aside, I hope you'll try and get to a game at Wrigley at some future date. That's sort of the whole point. I feel a little sad for people who visit Chicago and do a tour of the park. It so completely misses the point. There's not really any "sights" aside from the Ivy and everything about it's appeal comes alive when there's a crowd and sun and a game and a goodly portion of beer before, during and after. It's pure baseball, but not in the grimy, uncomfortable, edgy way that Fenway is. It's baseball how Don Draper would pitch it. The park when it's empty is just an old building with some statues and green paint.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
You link is interesting. I would dispute that most of the big Chicago style stuffed pizza places have crust on top. I am a serious adherent of Giordano's and Art of Pizza, and I'm pretty damn certain there's no crust on top of them,
Sorry, but you're wrong. That's what defines "stuffed pizza." Two layers of dough. All stuffed pizza has two layers of dough, no exceptions. That's what "stuffed" means. You can see the top layer in this picture.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Also, from Giordano's own website:

Quote:
Of all her repertoire, though, my family was most fond of her deep-dish, double-crusted pizza, which she made on Easter and stuffed with ricotta cheese.
Or, just watch this video of a Giordano's pizza being made. About 0:50 in comes the second layer of crust.

I don't like Giordano's because it's too cheesy, too saucy, and the sauce is too muddled tasting. Give me clean tomato flavors any day. Of course, we will agree on Pequod's. Which I'm surprised by, because it's not the excess of Giordano's.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-03-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Warrior View Post
They are definitely pronounced as spelled... Gee-or-DAH-no's and Mall-NOT-ee.
Thanks, that was my recollection as well, as a former Chicagoan. Hence the question. I might cut some slack on Giordano's, which I could see pronouncing as "jor DAH ohs", which isn't far off.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Also, from Giordano's own website:

Or, just watch this video of a Giordano's pizza being made. About 0:50 in comes the second layer of crust.

I don't like Giordano's because it's too cheesy, too saucy, and the sauce is too muddled tasting. Give me clean tomato flavors any day. Of course, we will agree on Pequod's. Which I'm surprised by, because it's not the excess of Giordano's.
Somehow I feel betrayed.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Thanks, that was my recollection as well, as a former Chicagoan. Hence the question. I might cut some slack on Giordano's, which I could see pronouncing as "jor DAH ohs", which isn't far off.
Actually, it's merely correct.

The "i" is not pronounced. It's merely inserted because otherwise the "g" would be pronounced "hard" (as in "get"). That's because there's basically no "j" in Italian, or at least not one which functions like the English "j".

Hence English "Julia" is Italian "Giulia", for example.

Anyway, it's the best pizza in Chicago. No matter how many crusts it has!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Agreed and I now have a crush on Gundy.
Wait - you're a chick right?!
Having just returned from the bathroom, I can confidently say yes, I am a chick.

puly, I agree that stuffed is a subset of deep-dish, but the differentiator for Lou's and Pequod's to me is that I can eat it with my hands (though I usually don't.) Can't do that with Giordano's, etc. deep-dish. I realize this is just how it is in my head, but there you go.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Ah, and for completeness' sake, although he does not have an outlet in Chicago proper I can say that the famously crotchety Burt of Burt's Place (and who developed Gulliver's and Pequod's styles previously) in Morton Grove does indeed make a very fine pizza with very fresh ingredients, so long as you follow his rules. I like the guy though; he reminds me of my dad.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM

I've managed to try the big 4 Chicago pizza places over the past few years.

My favorite has to be Lou Malnati's. We typically order the butter crust. The toppings and sauce were quite good. This is now our go to place when we are in Chicago and want pizza. The restaurant itself was somewhat bland though, although we had a blast talking to the bartender the time we sat at the bar.

Giordano's and Gino's East are about on the same level for me and are in the middle. This is good Chicago style pizza. I will no longer order the sausage as one big slab though. Gino's East off Michigan Avenue had good atmosphere.

Uno is far and away my least favorite. The crust was way too dry and the corn meal over-powered it. I will not go back there. As someone else mentioned though, the restaurant is pretty neat inside.

If you happen to be in the mood for a Chicago dog before or after your pizza, I recommend stopping in Hot Doug's.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
\ but the differentiator for Lou's and Pequod's to me is that I can eat it with my hands (though I usually don't.)
You just haven't tried hard enough.

I agree with you. Pequod's (and Burt's) is somewhere between pan and traditional deep dish. Between the caramelized cheese crust and the doughiness, it's definitely not a typical example of Chicago deep dish. I'd call it a cross between Detroit style pizza (a la Buddy's) and deep dish. But unless you've had Detroit style pizza, that means nothing. Like I said, they themselves call it a pan pizza, but it's not (to me, at any rate), like a typical pan pizza, either. It definitely feels more like a deep dish, and I personally feel it closer to Chicago deep dish than stuffed pizza is.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Warrior View Post
Get the stuffed spinach.
Finally another person of impeccable taste in this thread.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Thumbs up to Lou Mal.

If you're not dead set on deep dish, there's a place called Renaldi's not too far from Wrigley that I recall being quite good. I ain't been there in a while, though.