Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

How would you change the movie "Independence Day" from what it is to a good movie?

I love post-apocalyptic movies; I love movies that show earth-shattering events happening, and what happens during and after these events. I wanted to love "Independence Day," but it is just so fricking clichéd and hackneyed that I can hardly watch it (even though I do, every couple of years or so). I think I keep hoping that it will be better than I remember every time I watch it.

So, keeping the premise the same (vastly overpowering alien invasion strikes the earth unexpectedly), what would you change to make it a better movie?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I love post-apocalyptic movies; I love movies that show earth-shattering events happening, and what happens during and after these events. I wanted to love "Independence Day," but it is just so fricking clichéd and hackneyed that I can hardly watch it (even though I do, every couple of years or so). I think I keep hoping that it will be better than I remember every time I watch it.

So, keeping the premise the same (vastly overpowering alien invasion strikes the earth unexpectedly), what would you change to make it a better movie?
Take out will Smith and them using a Mac to do anything was completely unrealistic!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

The movie is perfect, aside from the...

Oh never mind, it's perfect.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM

Independence Day, like Die Hard, is the absolute best of its breed. Alien-invasion action/adventures don't get much better.

Of course, it's an inherently ridiculous genre, so the pinnacle of its achievement will necessarily be inherently ridiculous. And ID4 is that. And that's OK, because it's more fun than a pig in shit.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Needed more stripper scenes.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I wanted to love "Independence Day," but it is just so fricking clichéd and hackneyed that I can hardly watch it (even though I do, every couple of years or so).
I think this sentence illustrates quite nicely the fact that nothing about this movie needs to be changed.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
BANNED

It is the greatest of the cliched hackneyed alien attack popcorn genre. why mess with perfection?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM

How would you change the movie "Independence Day" from what it is to a good movie?

Kill Boomer the dog.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I wanted to love "Independence Day," but it is just so fricking clichéd and hackneyed that I can hardly watch it (even though I do, every couple of years or so).
Are you kidding? This movie wallows in cliches with the delight of a dog wriggling itself all over a dead fish. It marinates itself in cliches the way Bobby Flay soaks a strip steak in a bowl of fruity wine. Independence Day puts the lotion on its cliches, or else it gets the hose again.

For this reason it is one of the perfectest movies of all time.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM

Just don't get rid of Randy Quaid. By the end of the movie I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 PM

Two hour loop of:
1) Will Smith and the alien after their dogfight
2) The White House blowing up
3) Bill Pullman's speech
4) Random Jeff Goldblum verbal tics
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Independence Day, like Die Hard, is the absolute best of its breed. Alien-invasion action/adventures don't get much better.

Of course, it's an inherently ridiculous genre, so the pinnacle of its achievement will necessarily be inherently ridiculous. And ID4 is that. And that's OK, because it's more fun than a pig in shit.

Agree. This is like asking how would one chnge "Die Hard" to make it a more believable movie.

If you want believable, you're barking up the wrong tree Cat Whisperer

What's next? Do you want to color in the first 30 minutes of The Wizzard of Oz?

Heritic!!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:57 PM

I'd insert the deleted scene where they actually explained the whole Mac thing. Its still unbelievable, but less so when the scene tells you that much of modern technology was taken from the Roswell ship. And actual nudity in the stripping scenes.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I love this movie. But maybe it's because I first saw it at a drive in and got a huge laugh at the scene where the drive in gets destroyed by remarking to my friends "How postmodern." I felt really goddam witty.

Anyway like people above I think this movie is perfect in its being exactly what it is. Dumb and Dumber has the same quality. If you don't ask anything more than it has to give it is a perfectly delightful, engaging, fun movie that will steal away a couple hours of your life on a Sunday afternoon. Really what more do you want?

Last edited by Hedda Rosa; 07-04-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Graphite is a great
Charter Member

I use the word "hokey" to describe Independence Day.

I wouldn't use that word to describe any Die Hard movies.

Maybe just semantics.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 AM

Come on. "Yippee ki-yay, motherfucker" is pretty damn hokey.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM

Change the name of Will Smith's character. C'mon. Whoever heard of a black dude named "Steve"?

Other than that, it's an awesome movie and I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 AM

I don't know if it could be bettered; it's everything I dislike in movies and I love it. Maybe more Bill Murray as it's been scientifically proven that adding Bill Murray makes a film 10% better.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 AM

Find out bad country music kills the aliens. Andy have the aliens chase people saying "We come in peace!" while shooting at them.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 AM

Yeah, I was gonna say:

1. Remove disc from Independence Day DVD case, and throw it away.
2. Insert Mars Attacks! disc.
3. Ack! Ack!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Find out bad country music kills the aliens. Andy have the aliens chase people saying "We come in peace!" while shooting at them.
And have the president quote Meatloaf.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

The day gets saved when the USS Iowa starts throwing 16" shells.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
And have the president quote Meatloaf.
Have the president be Meat Loaf.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 AM

Martin Lawrence playing Will Smith's back seater, who ends up helping him drag he alien across the desert. Instead of Will Smith kicking the crap out of the unconcious alien, him and Martin end up getting in a bromance slap fight a la Bad Boys.

James Avery plays a tough-as-nails military retiree, perhaps the estranged uncle of Will Smith's character.

And of course, the commander of Area 51, Tommy Lee Jones.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 AM

A friend of mine suggests that Liam Neeson play an ambiguously badass guy whose daughter gets abducted by aliens.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 AM

Add Nick Cage running around in a bear suit beating up little girls.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 AM

A realistic alien invasion movie?

1. Bad guys introduce a nasty bug into the atmosphere.
2. Bad guys wait for humans to go extinct.
3. Bad guys move into their new digs.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Change the name of Will Smith's character. C'mon. Whoever heard of a black dude named "Steve"?
<continue hijack>There's a black dude named Steve who runs the bikram hot yoga studio just up the street from my apartment complex.</end hijack>

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataZak View Post
Kill Boomer the dog.
BOOMER WILL LIVE.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 AM

It could mainly be improved by replacing the script and cast, and vaporising the director.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedda Rosa View Post

Anyway like people above I think this movie is perfect in its being exactly what it is. Dumb and Dumber has the same quality. If you don't ask anything more than it has to give it is a perfectly delightful, engaging, fun movie that will steal away a couple hours of your life on a Sunday afternoon. Really what more do you want?
I class it as a 'popcorn flick' - entertainment that does not require any real thinking. I like it for the same reason people like Buckaroo Banzai, The Shining or any other movie that totally lacks any deep inner meaning whatsoever. When I sit down to watch a movie, I want entertainment, I do not want any deep inner meaning, I do not want any existential angst, I don't even want to worry about the environment. I want to kill a few hours being entertained.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Nuking the mothership destroys the shields, no hacking.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Have the people at Area 51 be the ones who come up with the code to destroy the aliens command network. Of course, this would then invite questions as to why these militant and capable aliens have a network that can easily be hacked by relative techno primitives. To which one can only reply: "Welcome to Earth, motherfucker!" (Punch!)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Base it on a children's board game. I think "Uncle Wiggly" has yet to be adapted.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I am watching it now, very appropriate.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Okay, after watching the first two hours again last night, I have come up with these changes:
1. Will Smith - while I normally love this guy, he was all cocky and no charisma in this movie. Change his character to what he does so well - a cocky and charismatic guy.

2. Change the way the alien menace is handled. The deus ex machina they came up with was far too un-freaking-believable, even for this movie.

3. Take out the Will Smith punching the alien's armour and he passes out for three hours thing. Good grief. That's a helluva punch you got there.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Use it as a coaster.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 PM

More Judd Hirsch.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I think I keep hoping that it will be better than I remember every time I watch it.
I couldn't really enjoy it when I saw it at the cinema because of a major plot issue. Not anything to do with the Macs, or the tonnes of metal crashing down on the heroes' heads. It's that for the first ninety per cent of the film the aliens are almost entirely invulnerable, on account of their magic force fields.

Which means that the aerial dogfights near the beginning were just pointless, because the aliens were invulnerable. Our missiles had no effect whatsoever. Because the aliens were invulnerable. I mean, the big space battle at the end of Return of the Jedi is exciting, because - although we know that the goodies are going to win - the fighting at least has purpose. Spaceships blow up, there's a certain amount of strategy, some of the good guys are killed, and so are some of the baddies. But if the villain and his soldiers and spaceships are utterly invincible what's the point? The action doesn't have any purpose. Unless the intention was to show a heroic but doomed last stand, but I never had the sense that the filmmakers were capable of emotional nuance.

The 1950s War of the Worlds had a similar problem. The soldiers are going to lose; the nuclear bomber is going to lose; the aliens are untouchable. The action sequences aren't really action sequences at all. They're literally action-packed in the sense that there are explosions and so forth; but there's a difference between e.g. the London marathon and a movie action sequence. They both have motion and dynamism, but the former is just a lot of sweaty people running for fun and glory whereas the latter has meaning and purpose and emotional resonance.

Yeah, Will Smith manages to down an alien fighter, but it's a total fluke. I would have shown at least some of the aerial action having an effect. Make it look as if we might just possibly win, until the aliens unleash their reinforcements. Have our side fight hard and push the aliens back a bit, even though we're doomed. As it stands we just lose, and lose again, and then we magic a solution out of a Macintosh and then we win. The story is fundamentally broken. A good action sequence should have a tense, edge-of-the-seat quality, not just one side repeatedly failing to scratch the other side and then losing. Imagine if the Ali-Foreman fight had consisted of Foreman punching Ali really hard over and over again, and then Ali just falls onto the mat and loses. That's basically Independence Day, except that in Independence Day Ali uses a Mac Powerbook to write a virus which he then implants into George Foreman's brain - via his nose - which causes Foreman's brain to shut down at which point Ali has to punch him in a very special place. And the poor ostrich died for nothing. That's called a mixed metaphor, it's one of the fundamental underpinnings of the Alan Partridge series.

All those people who enjoyed the film. They were wrong. Wrong to enjoy it. They should have disrespected it, by throwing popcorn at the screen. "Curse you", the audience should have said, "for your fundamental inability to grasp the basics of motivation and tension and so forth".

I mean, at least in Godzilla they established that the creature might have been hurt by missiles and so forth, even though we knew it wasn't going to get the chop until the end of the film.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataZak View Post
Kill Boomer the dog.
This, a million times over.

I can buy the notion of city sized spaceships. I can buy that they come crashing down with no major seismic repercussions. I can even buy the entire bit about the computer virus.

But the one thing that takes me out of the movie is that damn dog outrunning the giant fireball as it's literally nipping at his heels.

Last edited by joebuck20; 07-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Other than that, it's an awesome movie and I wouldn't change a thing.
Steve Harvey would like a word with you.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:45 PM

So would Steve Urkel.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Nuking the mothership destroys the shields, no hacking.
This.

That is one of the big things that bugged me about this movie. The aliens are gonna fucking kill everybody on the planet. It's not just like they swung by to steal some skittles and are planing to leave shortly thereafter.

But ohhh NOES we can't use a few nukes because that would anger mother earth or sumptin. Fucking mother earth hippies.

At the very least, show a few nukes being used and they don't work for shit so it's on to plan B.

Or did they try a nuke? I forget. But they sure acted like using a nuke was like asking your mother to become a stripper to pay for the cable bill.

Last edited by billfish678; 07-04-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
More Judd Hirsch.
And his character needs to be more Jewish. Sure he wears a yarmulke and speaks in an accent that would make Jackie Mason say "Come again?", but we don't even know if he's circumcised.

But meanwhile, you had to off poor Harvey Fierstein?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I class it as a 'popcorn flick' - entertainment that does not require any real thinking. I like it for the same reason people like Buckaroo Banzai, The Shining or any other movie that totally lacks any deep inner meaning whatsoever. When I sit down to watch a movie, I want entertainment, I do not want any deep inner meaning, I do not want any existential angst, I don't even want to worry about the environment. I want to kill a few hours being entertained.
I also enjoy popcorn films. Two of my favorite are The Rock and True Lies. However, I loathe ID4 with every fiber of my being.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
This.

That is one of the big things that bugged me about this movie. The aliens are gonna fucking kill everybody on the planet. It's not just like they swung by to steal some skittles and are planing to leave shortly thereafter.

But ohhh NOES we can't use a few nukes because that would anger mother earth or sumptin. Fucking mother earth hippies.

At the very least, show a few nukes being used and they don't work for shit so it's on to plan B.

Or did they try a nuke? I forget. But they sure acted like using a nuke was like asking your mother to become a stripper to pay for the cable bill.
They did try a nuke on Houston, I believe, and it didn't work. But yes, they were way too Hollywood-sensitive-whiney about it. All of our major cities have been destroyed, who gives a fuck if you loose a few nukes?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
They did try a nuke on Houston, I believe, and it didn't work. But yes, they were way too Hollywood-sensitive-whiney about it. All of our major cities have been destroyed, who gives a fuck if you loose a few nukes?
Ahhh, it's starting to come back to me now. But like you said. Seriously, once major cities start getting vaporized and at the very least a few test nukes don't start flying moments later was just way to WTF? kinda peacenik hippy shit for me.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM

More Brent Spiner in highwaters.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
<snip>
All those people who enjoyed the film. They were wrong. Wrong to enjoy it. They should have disrespected it, by throwing popcorn at the screen. "Curse you", the audience should have said, "for your fundamental inability to grasp the basics of motivation and tension and so forth".

I mean, at least in Godzilla they established that the creature might have been hurt by missiles and so forth, even though we knew it wasn't going to get the chop until the end of the film.
Yes! Exactly! I have nothing against feel-good popcorn flicks, but there needs to be something going on that doesn't make me feel like they're insulting my intelligence for enjoying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
And his character needs to be more Jewish. Sure he wears a yarmulke and speaks in an accent that would make Jackie Mason say "Come again?", but we don't even know if he's circumcised.

But meanwhile, you had to off poor Harvey Fierstein?
Oh yeah, that was another thing I'd change - get rid of Harvey's character altogether. He contributed nothing except annoyance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
More Brent Spiner in highwaters.
Well, sure, but that would make any movie better.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 07-04-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Which "his" I meant.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
In a perfect movie, our hero the hacker would get flown into position by Stevie Wonder.