Jerry Nelson, Sesame Street's The Count, confirmed dead [updated title]

There are no news articles yet, but my husband’s contact in the world of puppetry (no, really) says that Jerry Nelson, voice of Sesame Street’s The Count as well as numerous other characters on Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, and Fraggle Rock, died yesterday.

His Wikipedia page reports his death but doesn’t have “confirmation” either.

Ah ah ah <–crying

My friend who is a puppeteer says the same. :frowning:

:frowning: Say hi to Jim, Jerry.

Oh how awful.

I found out this morning.

cue lightning crash

Damn, what a sad thing to wake up to.

He was also “Fat Blue”, Grover’s eternal customer at the restaurant. And Herry Monster, one of my favorites.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Somebody put Frank Oz somewhere safe before it’s too late…

No! I love that guy!
Here’s wikipedia’s source.

Sad news.

Besides The Count, he was also Emmet Otter, Gobo Fraggle, Herry Monster, and the Trash Heap.

And Lew Zealand, known for his boomerang fish act.

Don’t forget Floyd Pepper, as well as being the first main performer for Snuffy (though he only stayed on him until '78). And my favourite of his characters, Uncle Deadly.

He was also Herry Monster and the announcer for The Muppets.

Undead, surely.

He was a guest one year at a big party a friend of mine throws. She told me of his doing the Count voice, counting all the children at the party. Counted by the Count. RIP.

Floyd Pepper has long been one of my favorite Muppets, I was even Floyd Pepper for a Muppet Costume Party in highschool.

Here he is performing “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”.

Posted on the Jim Henson Company Facebook Page:

I have updated the thread title to reflect the fact that the news has been confirmed.

Thanks for the quick action. I had to tell my friend, and she was sad that she missed seeing him one last time, but I got the impression that this was not unexpected.

He was also Robin the Frog, and Emmett Otter. He was very good at signing while in character.

You know that I was called the Count…
Because I really loved to count…

RIP, Jerry.

One of my favorite Floyd bits.