Why do so many American women go for guys in jeans and t-shirts with simple haircuts?

You see many American guys with Wranglers and grey Hane’s t-shirts. They also have short and simple haircuts.

Yet MANY girls flock to these guys.

I’m not straight so maybe that’s why I don’t understand. How does a woman even pick out a guy who blends into the crowd? How can you know anything about his personality, or what kind of subculture he fits into?

I guess it’s similar in lesbians who like butches. I used to spend a ton of money on stylish clothes, shoes, and accessories when I first came out. It didn’t seem to improve my marketability. Yet I see several butch lesbians in bars in wrinkled cargo shorts and unfitted t-shirts, who can pull a ton of cute chicks. Recently, I have too joined the simple t-shirt and jeans crowd, to save money, and shockingly I’m not getting less attention in the scene.

Women, what’s the appeal of the guy with simple attire?

It’s almost as if women date guys because of their looks or (gasp!) their character, rather than based on their hairstyles or the clothes they wear.

I’ll take a stab: simple haircuts for men are in fashion now, so that is what most men wear. Casual clothing is also in fashion, so that is also what men often wear. But it is important to remember that guys are not Ken dolls, we come with more than the outfit we are currently wearing, so they likely have other clothes at their homes.

(Missed the edit window)

Also, are you freaking kidding me?

One, why does anybody have to “fit” into any “subculture”, and two, why is the choice of clothes the only indicator of personality? Most regular people don’t chat up random people on the street because they dig their earrings or their emo-looking leather jacket. There are other ways to get to know people.

What was your question again?

The need to fit somebody into a “subculture” may be why you are not meeting any compatible partners. Go places that you l;ike, do things that you like, and you wil meet people with similar interests and likes. Clubbing brings you into contact with people who hang out in clubs, which in itself is no indication of their possible long-term interest.

Besides, “American guys with Wranglers and grey Hane’s t-shirts. They also have short and simple haircuts” is a recognizable subculture. It indicates (usually) that they are straight men with steady jobs, conservative with their spending habits, and not likely to try to out-peacock a date.

Or as if the people looking to hook up knew that other people, like Barbie dolls, have more than one outfit. Or as if they, or at least most of them, were able to distinguish faces, heights, weights… and remember such things as what do different people do for a living, or what their hobbies are, without needing those people to wear a uniform.

Do you remember faces, D02?

Nailed it on the first post, congrats and well done!

If I were a woman ( I just looked, I’m not) I think I would be put off by a guy who put too much effort into fashion. Hell, I am put off by women who are overly concerned with it. I understand people want to look attractive and feel confident, but I just don’t have time to deal with someone who spends a lot of time on something I don’t think is important.

This! My wife says the “Metrosexual” look is out!

Are you kidding? In addition to what other people have said…The t-shirt and the jeans come off. Besides, there is very little sexier than a man in no shirt and even a moderately muscled chest and jeans, especially low-slung jeans that show the shelf bone of the hip. And this is coming from a woman who likes suits and ties.

Nava, I don’t have anywhere near as many clothes as a Barbie Doll. :frowning:

Neither do I, but both of us have squeezable boobs and your SO has something Ken’s lacking…

Yes. But Barbie has a mansion!

Pretty small as mansions go, though. I won’t bother move into a mansion that’s got less than 2 bathrooms per bedroom, and every single bedroom must have its own walk-in closet.

Usually a nice bod and a cute face. Add in a charming smile and a sense of humour, and I’m hooked.

Sometimes it’s enough that a guy appears clean and presentable. Jeans and a tee are a step up from sweats and a wife-beater. I’m good with that.

It depends on where you are.

I asked my nephew why he bought a $30 USD t shirt with a brand name, he said it lets chicks know you have money to burn and attracts their attention. I imagine in an enviroment where women are less focused on trading sex for cash or housing that isn’t as important, hence simple clothing.

On the flip side, I’m a straight guy and I much prefer women who dress simply and without complex hairstyles. Show me a cute girl in jeans and a ponytail and I’ll go after her like a lion goes after a limping gazelle.

Anecdotal, but a friend of mine (female) dated another sorta friend of mine (male). He was VERY into his hair, and would often take longer than her getting ready for dates. She dumped him for that reason. She thought it was weird he was so caught up in his hair and his appearance.

It’s called conspicuous consumption - people spend money to show they have money. Poor people spend it on clothing. Middle class and rich people spend it on cars and houses. If you drive a BMW, you can afford to walk around in jeans and a t-shirt.

What kind of clothing and hairstyle would indicate the subculture of waking neighbors late at night for kicks?