The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 AM
BANNED

Why do so many American women go for guys in jeans and t-shirts with simple haircuts?

You see many American guys with Wranglers and grey Hane's t-shirts. They also have short and simple haircuts.

Yet MANY girls flock to these guys.

I'm not straight so maybe that's why I don't understand. How does a woman even pick out a guy who blends into the crowd? How can you know anything about his personality, or what kind of subculture he fits into?

I guess it's similar in lesbians who like butches. I used to spend a ton of money on stylish clothes, shoes, and accessories when I first came out. It didn't seem to improve my marketability. Yet I see several butch lesbians in bars in wrinkled cargo shorts and unfitted t-shirts, who can pull a ton of cute chicks. Recently, I have too joined the simple t-shirt and jeans crowd, to save money, and shockingly I'm not getting less attention in the scene.

Women, what's the appeal of the guy with simple attire?

Last edited by Diamonds02; 09-05-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM

It's almost as if women date guys because of their looks or (gasp!) their character, rather than based on their hairstyles or the clothes they wear.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 AM

I'll take a stab: simple haircuts for men are in fashion now, so that is what most men wear. Casual clothing is also in fashion, so that is also what men often wear. But it is important to remember that guys are not Ken dolls, we come with more than the outfit we are currently wearing, so they likely have other clothes at their homes.

Last edited by madmonk28; 09-05-2012 at 08:36 AM..
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 AM

(Missed the edit window)

Also, are you freaking kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds02 View Post
How can you know anything about his personality, or what kind of subculture he fits into?
One, why does anybody have to "fit" into any "subculture", and two, why is the choice of clothes the only indicator of personality? Most regular people don't chat up random people on the street because they dig their earrings or their emo-looking leather jacket. There are other ways to get to know people.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Recently, I have too joined the simple t-shirt and jeans crowd, to save money, and shockingly I'm not getting less attention in the scene.
What was your question again?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

The need to fit somebody into a "subculture" may be why you are not meeting any compatible partners. Go places that you l;ike, do things that you like, and you wil meet people with similar interests and likes. Clubbing brings you into contact with people who hang out in clubs, which in itself is no indication of their possible long-term interest.

Besides, "American guys with Wranglers and grey Hane's t-shirts. They also have short and simple haircuts" is a recognizable subculture. It indicates (usually) that they are straight men with steady jobs, conservative with their spending habits, and not likely to try to out-peacock a date.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
It's almost as if women date guys because of their looks or (gasp!) their character, rather than based on their hairstyles or the clothes they wear.
Or as if the people looking to hook up knew that other people, like Barbie dolls, have more than one outfit. Or as if they, or at least most of them, were able to distinguish faces, heights, weights... and remember such things as what do different people do for a living, or what their hobbies are, without needing those people to wear a uniform.

Do you remember faces, D02?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nailed it on the first post, congrats and well done!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM

If I were a woman ( I just looked, I'm not) I think I would be put off by a guy who put too much effort into fashion. Hell, I am put off by women who are overly concerned with it. I understand people want to look attractive and feel confident, but I just don't have time to deal with someone who spends a lot of time on something I don't think is important.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J View Post
If I were a woman ( I just looked, I'm not) I think I would be put off by a guy who put too much effort into fashion. Hell, I am put off by women who are overly concerned with it. I understand people want to look attractive and feel confident, but I just don't have time to deal with someone who spends a lot of time on something I don't think is important.
This! My wife says the "Metrosexual" look is out!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Are you kidding? In addition to what other people have said....The t-shirt and the jeans come off. Besides, there is very little sexier than a man in no shirt and even a moderately muscled chest and jeans, especially low-slung jeans that show the shelf bone of the hip. And this is coming from a woman who likes suits and ties.

Nava, I don't have anywhere near as many clothes as a Barbie Doll.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Neither do I, but both of us have squeezable boobs and your SO has something Ken's lacking...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Neither do I, but both of us have squeezable boobs and your SO has something Ken's lacking...
Yes. But Barbie has a mansion!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM

Pretty small as mansions go, though. I won't bother move into a mansion that's got less than 2 bathrooms per bedroom, and every single bedroom must have its own walk-in closet.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Women, what's the appeal of the guy with simple attire?
Usually a nice bod and a cute face. Add in a charming smile and a sense of humour, and I'm hooked.

Sometimes it's enough that a guy appears clean and presentable. Jeans and a tee are a step up from sweats and a wife-beater. I'm good with that.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM

It depends on where you are.

I asked my nephew why he bought a $30 USD t shirt with a brand name, he said it lets chicks know you have money to burn and attracts their attention. I imagine in an enviroment where women are less focused on trading sex for cash or housing that isn't as important, hence simple clothing.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM

On the flip side, I'm a straight guy and I much prefer women who dress simply and without complex hairstyles. Show me a cute girl in jeans and a ponytail and I'll go after her like a lion goes after a limping gazelle.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Anecdotal, but a friend of mine (female) dated another sorta friend of mine (male). He was VERY into his hair, and would often take longer than her getting ready for dates. She dumped him for that reason. She thought it was weird he was so caught up in his hair and his appearance.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 AM

It's called conspicuous consumption - people spend money to show they have money. Poor people spend it on clothing. Middle class and rich people spend it on cars and houses. If you drive a BMW, you can afford to walk around in jeans and a t-shirt.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

What kind of clothing and hairstyle would indicate the subculture of waking neighbors late at night for kicks?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Personality and such aside, jeans and a T do say a lot.

I can't recall off the top of my head the last time that I saw a guy in a plain grey T. Black, yes. But even solid T's aren't that common to me. Almost all t-shirts have something on them that will tell you about the wearer: bands, geek humor, etc.

Jeans? Here wrangler I associate with cowboy types. Most wear Levi's. The cut of the Jean says a lot, too. My more hipster students wear skinny leg pants. Others wear the pants hanging down.

Shoes also say a lot about the wearer. Cowboy types always wear work boots, fir example.
Additionally, most of my guy students have visible tattoos and piercings.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Besides, there is very little sexier than a man in no shirt and even a moderately muscled chest and jeans, especially low-slung jeans that show the shelf bone of the hip. And this is coming from a woman who likes suits and ties.
This.
I love jeans and fitted plain white t-shirt on a man.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

All I know is that back when I only wore a seersucker suit and a straw boater, I hardly got any pussy.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM

Hey, hey!

My eyes are up here! Quit lookin' at my jeans.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM

WTF is a "simple haircut?" Or maybe the question should be WTF is a not-simple haircut?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Tuck View Post
On the flip side, I'm a straight guy and I much prefer women who dress simply and without complex hairstyles. Show me a cute girl in jeans and a ponytail and I'll go after her like a lion goes after a limping gazelle.
Especially if it's only jeans and a ponytail.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
WTF is a "simple haircut?"
I'm guessing something quaint and old-fashioned like "even on both sides," "performed with scissors instead of a weed-eater," etc.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
How can you know anything about his personality, or what kind of subculture he fits into?
They have this thing called "talking" now. It's really something, you should try it.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM

My hair is totally straight. I have the choice between straight short or straight long. I wear it short. Am I supposed to have a Mohawk?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
They have this thing called "talking" now. It's really something, you should try it.
Is that like texting, or different?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainstall View Post
Usually a nice bod and a cute face. Add in a charming smile and a sense of humour, and I'm hooked.
Picky, picky, picky!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
My hair is totally straight. I have the choice between straight short or straight long. I wear it short. Am I supposed to have a Mohawk?
You're not interested in a perm, and maybe some highlights?

A good looking guy, in clean, well fitted jeans and T shirt, will have his physique attractively displayed. Yes, a man in a well fitted tux will also look great, but the jeans and T shirt show more of the body, if that's what a woman is primarily looking for.

Back in the stone age, when I was dating, I wasn't trying to pigeonhole prospective dates. Mostly I was concerned with whether or not they could talk intelligibly, and whether or not they were gonna break out the weed as soon as the date started. This was back in the 70s...perhaps I should call it the stoned age.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Okay, please re-read Diamonds02's posts on here again. Do you really think D02 would be better off talking IRL? Some people just have texting personalities.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's a good idea.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Girls see potential boyfriends as dress-up dolls. Seriously, when talking to them you can sense them visualizing the foldy-tabs on your shoulders and hips for the paper cutouts...

A dressed-down initial boyfriend gives them unlimited fashioning possibilities. Rest assured that, shortly after dating has started, the boyfriend is getting deluged with cosby-sweaters, fluevog-shoes, skin care products, knit silk socks, and any other accessory that makes it impossible to spontaneously play a pick-up game of basketball.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
You're not interested in a perm, and maybe some highlights?

A good looking guy, in clean, well fitted jeans and T shirt, will have his physique attractively displayed. Yes, a man in a well fitted tux will also look great, but the jeans and T shirt show more of the body, if that's what a woman is primarily looking for.

Back in the stone age, when I was dating, I wasn't trying to pigeonhole prospective dates. Mostly I was concerned with whether or not they could talk intelligibly, and whether or not they were gonna break out the weed as soon as the date started. This was back in the 70s...perhaps I should call it the stoned age.
I have a simple haircut but I do wear a tux everyday.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maître d'?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A tearaway tux, right?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Only after six pm, I should hope.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
A tearaway tux, right?
Sky blue, ruffled shirt.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, yes. But how does one good looking guy stand out from the rest of the good looking guys?

Quote:
(Missed the edit window)

Also, are you freaking kidding me?

One, why does anybody have to "fit" into any "subculture", and two, why is the choice of clothes the only indicator of personality? Most regular people don't chat up random people on the street because they dig their earrings or their emo-looking leather jacket. There are other ways to get to know people.
Really? I get complimented on the things I wear all the time, regardless if they are hitting on me or not. Wearing distincting things are good convo starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post

Besides, "American guys with Wranglers and grey Hane's t-shirts. They also have short and simple haircuts" is a recognizable subculture. It indicates (usually) that they are straight men with steady jobs, conservative with their spending habits, and not likely to try to out-peacock a date.
This is where the true disconnect comes. I know exactly what kind of guys you're talking about. Such guys are quite level-headed, but they seem to make poor decisions on what they wear.

Again, I have joined this crowd recently. While my attire hasn't significantly increased or decreased my dating prospects, I have been treated differently in other areas of my life. Since I have been dressing down more, I have been pulled over more often. People have asked me to leave if I linger around a store or whatever. People have called the cops on me for "loitering" inside and outside of establishments. Service people like bartenders sometimes ignore me. I'm sometimes treated like a bum. None of this stuff previously happened. As soon as I make more money, I will be buying more stylish clothes.

In other words I'm very confused why some men, who are otherwise level-headed would deliberately spend less money and time on their appearance, and why some women find it sexy. It seems like these guys are self-sabotaging themselves.

Maybe it is because they are men and can get away with it. And I am a woman, a butchish at that, and therefore much more harshly judged?

Last edited by Diamonds02; 09-05-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Pretty small as mansions go, though. I won't bother move into a mansion that's got less than 2 bathrooms per bedroom, and every single bedroom must have its own walk-in closet.
Plus, it's pink. Gick.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Besides, there is very little sexier than a man in no shirt and even a moderately muscled chest and jeans, especially low-slung jeans that show the shelf bone of the hip. (
I just tried. I couldn't improve this description. Maybe if you knew he was single.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM

You're gay?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Again, I have joined this crowd recently. While my attire hasn't significantly increased or decreased my dating prospects, I have been treated differently in other areas of my life. Since I have been dressing down more, I have been pulled over more often. People have asked me to leave if I linger around a store or whatever. People have called the cops on me for "loitering" inside and outside of establishments. Service people like bartenders sometimes ignore me. I'm sometimes treated like a bum. None of this stuff previously happened. As soon as I make more money, I will be buying more stylish clothes.
You're a chick and this happens to you? Weird.

I wear old navy jeans and whatever t-shirt I could find at value village for less than five bucks in my size. Every day. It's my uniform. (I wear sweaters sometimes in the winter, I guess.) I brush my hair every morning but nothing else. I wear eyeliner in terms of makeup. Pretty low maintenance.

I have never been asked to leave anywhere for loitering. I often get served a bars before other people. I don't get treated like a bum. Heck, when I go to the grocery store, I feel dressed up since more than half the women there are wearing sweatpants or yoga pants.

I do EXUDE confidence (that's what my boss says, anyway). Maybe you just don't feel confident in your clothes.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
You're gay?
I'm so gay I can start a fire with two sticks and a backhanded compliment.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Huh. I did not know that.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM

I think tapu figured it out from my favorite cocktail. Not that it's a contest.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 PM

The OP is a chick? Diamonds, what I wear more often than not is jeans and a t-shirt, but its for comfort, not joining any subculture. Sometimes I wear a nice shirt and slacks, I'm not in any higher-class or hipster subculture for the day, it's just what I wear. Not that this is the only way the whole premise is flawed from the beginning.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Tuck View Post
That's, um, quite the picture you're drawing there.

I have two words for the OP - Jensen Ackles. I don't actually know why straight women find simply dressed men with simple haircuts attractive; I just know we do.