So what movies made you cry?

I’m pushing 50 and I’m not ashamed to say that there are nine films that I cried in:

As a child:

“Pinocchio” (when he drowns saving Gepetto from Monstro the Whale)
“Gunga Din” (as an adult too)
24 Eyes" (A Japanese Language film)

As an adult:

“Crimes And Misdemeanors” (final montage)
“Stand By Me” (Ahh…youth and when we were innocent)
“Life Is Beautiful” (Italian Language version)
“Big Fish” (reminds me of my own life)
“Paths Of Glory” (Very powerful closing scene)
“Days Of Wine And Roses” (Absolutely heartbreaking, especially since we know that Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick are basically good people but unfortunately they are very weak; and Lemmon’s character KNOWS that this was all caused by himself, however unintentionally).

Return of the King: “My friends! You bow to no one.”

Old Yeller: should be kind of obvious

Serenity: toward the end of the film.

Lots of other ones, but those spring to mind.
I am a sentimental kind of guy.

I’m generally a cold-hearted snake, but then there’s Grave of the Fireflies, the animated film set at the end of World War II in Japan.

Not only did watching it completely sap my will to live, but about 4 months later I was in the Asian grocery store and saw a package of candies similar to one that is featured (depressingly) in the movie, and I started crying right in the middle of the goddamn grocery store. For real.

Let me be the first to mention: Where the Red Fern Grows

And, of course, the ending of Schindler’s List.

ETA: Of relatively recent flicks, I admit I cried during Barney’s Version (‘Send not to know for whom the bell tolls, Karl, it tolls for thee’).

I used to love Brassed Off: it’s very funny and has some heart-warming moments. However, last time I tried to watch it, I couldn’t get past the sad parts and had to stop watching.

Brokeback Mountain(2005)
A Home at the End of the World(2004)
Galaxy Quest(1999)
Paris is Burning (1990)

Toy Story 3: The scene where they all think they’re about to die in the incinerator and they reach out and hold hands.

Toy Story 3 I’ve only seen once but it got me at the end. Andy letting go of his childhood and passing it on to someone else.

And I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, every single time I watch Phone Booth, I cry. I honestly cannot watch the ending of that movie without tearing up. Colin Farrell’s delivery of his character’s confession and apology kills me.

All of them. I’m such a sap.

It’s A Wonderful Life - gets my eyes watering every year like clockwork

Awakenings had me a sobbing mess at the end. I was crying for joy seeing Leonard walk and the others, well, awakening, but I didn’t anticipate them getting WORSE after getting better and that completely wrecked me.

My father passed away with a rapidly advancing Parkinson’s, so this movie hits me even harder now. Still a great flick, though.

Dumbo, when he is separated from his mom.

I would do anything to be able to play catch with my father one more time.

The end of the Killing Fields. I wont cry in public but that one almost got me to.

Many movies make me cry, but the one that springs to mind is The Horse Whisperer. It started with the very first scene (the accident) and continued until the end. Sometimes, I cried because it was sad, sometimes it was touching, sometimes it was happy. But I basically cried for two hours straight.

Same movie, but it was, “I can’t carry it for you, Mr. Frodo…but I can carry you!”

Only movie I’ve seen that is sadder than that one is Dear Zachary.

Not too many, but I’d have to include:

-Field Of Dreams
-All About My Mother
The Mambo Kings

Meh. I can get choked up at the littlest of things, but crying? Nope.

The end of Toy Story 3 was choke-inducive.
I watched Imagine: John Lennon (The film) on VHS a few years after its release, by myself one night after a fair amount of booze, and it fucking killed me. I wept like a baby.

I never used to cry at movies at all, until I got older and had kids and then my dad died, followed three years later by my mother. Now I am a sucker for anything having to do with kids and their fathers. Hell, I teared up during the end of Armageddon when the kid sees on TV the one of the crew on the tarmac when their shuttle lands and says “Look mommy, it’s the salesman,” and the mom responds “No, that’s your father.”