The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Mohawk Valley Limberger Cheese Spread (in the little glass jar with the white lid.)

My entire family used to love this stuff on mini slices of rye bread. I looked for it in supermarkets recently and couldn't find it. Googling revealed many other people desperately looking for it and it turns out that Kraft stopped manufacturing it several years ago. It's the stuff that came in the little glass jars with the white lid. Here's an image that may help you to remember it.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...91xcU5GgIhrQZG

I did find a website selling limberger spread and claiming "Formally [sic] made by Mohawk Valley." Whether it's really the same thing or not remains to be seen. They charge $5.95 for 8 ounces. Maybe it's just because I don't buy a lot of cheese spread and this particular spread was bought by adults when I was a child, but that seems pricey to me.

On top of that they say
Quote:
Bavaria will choose the best shipping method & charge by weight, distance and perishability. Plus a 6.95 handling fee.
https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/shipping.php
So this stuff could get pretty costly for cheese spread. Granted you can reduce the price per ounce by buying more but how much can you eat before it goes bad?

So, have any of you tried this, and is it the same thing as you remember?

Anyone in the Philly area want to go in on a larger order of the stuff?
Advertisements  
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

I've noticed that it's also sold on other sites so maybe it can be had for a better overall price. Maybe it's even available in supermarkets.

Last edited by davidm; 10-03-2012 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

No one knows of a good limburger spread? The one I found has some bad reviews.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
No one knows of a good limburger spread? The one I found has some bad reviews.
It's Limburger, it's bound to have bad reviews by its nature!

Limburger is a soft cheese, so you really don't have to buy a "spread", the real thing will spread quite well.

Here is a link to some Limburger cheese.

And here is their Limburger Spread.

I am from Wisconsin and can vouch for this cheese shop.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

That's the spread that I found and the one that at least one site claims to be the same thing as the old Kraft Mohawk Valley spread. I guess I'll find the best price I can and risk a few bucks to see if it's comparable to what I remember.

My whole family used to love the stuff. We would buy a loaf of mini rye bread and spread this cheese on slices of it. Ambrosia!

I recently bought a small brick of limburger at the market and it was nowhere near as good as the old Mohawk spread and tasted nothing like it. Maybe what I bought was just inferior limburger.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 PM

Most towns above about 20,000 people have a gourmet shop where you can find what P. J. O'Rourke called "cheese that smells like people's feet."...
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Sam,
Thank you for the suggestion.

I understand that I can buy limburger cheese. I could go to the market right now and buy some. But I'm looking for something identical or similar to this particular limburger cheese spread. I've purchased limburger and it's not the same. I'm probably going to get some of this to see if it's the same: https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/...category_id=38

Last edited by davidm; 10-07-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I ordered a couple of tubs. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Got it today and it's just like the stuff I remember.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Have you tasted it yet?

StG
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes, and it's just like it!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, and it's just like it!
Glad you found what you wanted.

Just recognize that the only Limburger cheese made in the US comes from Monroe, Wisconsin.

Where does it say it's made on the package? Perhaps the source cheese is from Monroe, and the process of turning it into limburger spread is done elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Augie, did you get to that cheese shop when they were selling off the 40 year old cheddar for $10/oz? It sold out before we could snag any, but we did score nearly a pound of 28 year old cheddar!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

The container says "Williams Cheese Co. Linwood, MI". That doesn't mean that the limburger isn't from Wisconsin, of course.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 AM

Glad to know about this. My father loved the stuff in the glass jars, and the limburger sold in slabs is not the same.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

It's sold all over the net, but I'd really like to find it in locally. The shipping costs more than the cheese unless you order more than one tub. The expiration date on the ones I have is in December, and it's not something that you want to slather on the rye in huge amounts, it's strong, so you'd have to either pay $9 or $10 for shipping one tub or you'd have to eat a lot more than is probably healthy, unless you have a big family or are throwing a party.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Can't someone in the Redding Terminal Market in Philly get it for you? I was only at that market once, but was very impressed by it. Or would they be offended by an "Amish" product that didn't come from PA?

My Dad is the only one who really likes it, so most of it would be wasted. I like it well enough, but don't eat the bread anymore, and it really needs the dense rye to go with it.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
It sold out before we could snag any, but we did score nearly a pound of 28 year old cheddar!
Ooo, cheese so sharp it cuts itself.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar View Post
Can't someone in the Redding Terminal Market in Philly get it for you? I was only at that market once, but was very impressed by it. Or would they be offended by an "Amish" product that didn't come from PA?

My Dad is the only one who really likes it, so most of it would be wasted. I like it well enough, but don't eat the bread anymore, and it really needs the dense rye to go with it.
I don't know about getting it at the Terminal Market, but by the time I either pay for the train into the city or drive and pay for parking I'll have paid enough to cover the shipping anyway. Maybe I might check it out if I'm going in for another reason.

Maybe it's something you can get your father for the holidays. Maybe it can be shared with guests.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

All this side chatter is now making me hungry for aged cheddar. Maybe I need to find a good cheese shop around here.

Not this one though. They specifically have no limburger or cheddar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Augie, did you get to that cheese shop when they were selling off the 40 year old cheddar for $10/oz? It sold out before we could snag any, but we did score nearly a pound of 28 year old cheddar!
WHAT!? I never heard about that, definitely would have checked it out!

I've decided I like 9-10 year old cheddar the best, but I would certainly have been willing to try any of the above!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 AM

Yes I bought the Limberger Cheese spread from Bavarian Sausage. It was not Mohawk Valley but
better than nothing. Costly S&H. I was paying $3.59 for jar up to the end for M/V & think that jar is 6oz.. Called Kraft, they had no intentions of makig it again. Say not enough sales, so I was told. I will say that I have not met a single person who would buy it or even heard of it. Wonder why, it has been around since about 1938. My kids love it.
We can"t share a ship cost as I live on the West coast & you on the East coast. Hope you can find someone.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I thought that it tasted exactly like the old Mohawk Valley spread, as did my family. Are you sure that you got the same thing I did?

Here is what I got: https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/...category_id=38
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 AM

I live in the Mohawk Valley area of upstate NY. Unfortunately, Limburger cheese is not very appealing to me, so I don't know if they sell it around here. But here are two sites which seem to be selling the Mohawk Valley Limburger cheese:

http://www.gianteagle.com/21000616718.aspx

http://www.keyfood.com/pd/Mohawk-Val.../021000616718/
Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

That's strange because it's all over the net that they stopped manufacturing the stuff years ago. I guess it's possible that they started making it again but the most likely explanation is that those pages haven't been updated in a while or that's some very old cheese spread (zombie cheese perhaps?).

In any case, as I said, I've found another brand that tastes the same to my family and I.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 PM

thank you!

Quote:
Got it today and it's just like the stuff I remember.
Nothing is like the old pasteurized Mohawk Valley kind in the little glass jars! I was so bummed they stopped making it too - slathered on rye bread, yum! And the block kind with rind they sell at my markets is blech. I tried an Amish kind but it was mixed w cheddar and so wasn't the same, thanks to stumbling across your thread I just ordered some from here - fingers crossed!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

The stuff I ordered was mixed with cheddar; so was the old Mohawk Valley kind.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
Nothing is like the old pasteurized Mohawk Valley kind in the little glass jars! I was so bummed they stopped making it too - slathered on rye bread, yum! And the block kind with rind they sell at my markets is blech. I tried an Amish kind but it was mixed w cheddar and so wasn't the same, thanks to stumbling across your thread I just ordered some from here - fingers crossed!!!
I've been buying Mohawk Valley Limburger since it was available in 16 oz. jars. That was a long time ago but I don't ever remember any cheddar taste to the product. Likewise for the more recent version in small jars. The Amish brand product is only similar in taste for the first few moments before a really objectionable (to my palate) cheddar-like flavour kicks in. I dumped two tubs of this stuff (one unopened) into the trash. It is an unacceptable substitute for Mohawk Valley Limburger - I hope someone resurrects the "real" product.

Last edited by ronmcdwv; 11-12-2013 at 07:10 AM..
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
It's Limburger, it's bound to have bad reviews by its nature!

Limburger is a soft cheese, so you really don't have to buy a "spread", the real thing will spread quite well.

Here is a link to some Limburger cheese.

And here is their Limburger Spread.

Never had Limburger, was just reading this thread out of curiosity. But I wanted to pop in and say thanks for this link! My wife and I went to Chicago for our honeymoon, and she was pretty insistent that we drive to Wisconsin for some cheese. What, 45 minute drive each way for cheese? We get there and bought some 11 year old aged cheddar that was well worth the drive. That was my first experience with quality aged cheese, and we were in solidified cow juice heaven. But I've been craving some ever since, and it's a hell of a long drive from Pittsburgh to Wisconsin. Now we can order it and have it shipped! Cheesy goodness incoming! Thank you!

Last edited by Apocalypso; 11-12-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdwv View Post
I've been buying Mohawk Valley Limburger since it was available in 16 oz. jars. That was a long time ago but I don't ever remember any cheddar taste to the product. Likewise for the more recent version in small jars. The Amish brand product is only similar in taste for the first few moments before a really objectionable (to my palate) cheddar-like flavour kicks in. I dumped two tubs of this stuff (one unopened) into the trash. It is an unacceptable substitute for Mohawk Valley Limburger - I hope someone resurrects the "real" product.
I had the Amish brand spread about a month ago in Wisconsin. I have no idea what Mohawk Valley Limburger spread tastes like, but I've had Limburger and was surprised at how mild this spread was. It tasted light of Limburger funk, but mostly white cheddar. It wasn't bad--I ate the tub within a couple days-- but it was just a cheddar spread to me.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-12-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Mohawk vally cheese spread

GMO....(dislectic Oh My God)...Bavaria has the real stuff...David..thanks for the tip..I called them on the phone after placing my order to get an idea of how long it take...They answered the Phone!! No.."For English press one"...they aswered the phone...a human being!! very helpful..and ever called me back to make sure everthing was correct. Cheese arrived in 3 days...same as the mohawk we used to buy in the little jar. Still a bit young..but I will age it out a bit and order more. Consumed half a tub the first day. We use it as a spread on bread...best with a glass of wine and something spicey...like Golden State yellow peppers...not Golden Gate...Golden State. We also use the limberger in our Pasta sauces...makes everything taste better. Was also impressed at Bavarias other food selections. We will be buying some of the meat products soon. Again...Thanks to David and this message board...we have been way to long without this product...
Jerry
Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Prickly

That's great!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I ordered some more for the holidays and finished it up last month. You reviving this thread is making me hungry for more! Maybe I'll order some. I wish I could find it locally.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:23 PM

limberger...

haha..glad its making everyone hungry for it....the popularity seems to be catching on..I think when people try it on other foods they will purchase it more.
Something about eating it with sour, vinigary foods makes it evern better...thats why I eat the peppers with it.
My mother was Swiss and lived most of her life in St. Louis..she used to cook what she called Swiss weinies. I asked about them at the Bavaria place and sure enough..they make them..so that is my next order...with some Musterd and red cabbage. The Swiss Sausages are made with Veal and Pork..so wouldnt you know...its against the law in California to mix beef and pork or cut with the same equipment....Thank God I can now order on line.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Limburger cheese spread

Quote:
Glad you found what you wanted.

Just recognize that the only Limburger cheese made in the US comes from Monroe, Wisconsin.

Where does it say it's made on the package? Perhaps the source cheese is from Monroe, and the process of turning it into limburger spread is done elsewhere.
Here is the website where you can buy this limburger spread, my brother swears this is the best on the market. Unfortunately, we cant find it in the state of California. Here is the best price for the product, but be careful the shipping rates are outrageous.
http://www.williamscheese.com/?Chees...ads&page_id=63
Old 06-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

There are a number of places that sell it, so shop around.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM

Key Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
I live in the Mohawk Valley area of upstate NY. Unfortunately, Limburger cheese is not very appealing to me, so I don't know if they sell it around here. But here are two sites which seem to be selling the Mohawk Valley Limburger cheese:

http://www.gianteagle.com/21000616718.aspx

http://www.keyfood.com/pd/Mohawk-Val.../021000616718/
Just got off the phone with Key Foods, they show Mohawk limburger cheese for sale. Even though it goes into your cart it is NOT for sale. DO NOT PURCHASEE IT
Old 06-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo3377 View Post
Just got off the phone with Key Foods, they show Mohawk limburger cheese for sale. Even though it goes into your cart it is NOT for sale. DO NOT PURCHASEE IT
Mohawk Valley limburger spread is no longer manufactured. What you want is "Amish Country" brand, as pictured here:
https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/...spread-jpg.jpg
Most everyone, including me, seems to agree that it's similar, maybe identical, to the old Mohawk Valley spread.
Shop around the net for the best price, keeping in mind the shipping costs, which are sometimes higher than the cost of one tub of cheese.