The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Bo Dietl Arby's commercial about Subway

There is a commercial with former NYPD detective (and author/talking head) Bo Dietl stating that all Subway cold cuts are sliced in a factory and shipped there. Any Subway workers out there? Is that true? The only reason why I ask is that back in the late 80s I worked in a Subway in College Park Maryland. We sliced our own meat in the back. I remember having to slice the meat amazingly thin. It was prepared on a piece of wax paper and each one had to have a very specific number of pieces per sandwich. But we did it ourselves. This was back in the day when we still have to cut the bread with a u-shaped slice instead of a normal straight across cut. So when did they change and go to pre-sliced meat?
Advertisements  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I'd be flabbergasted if that facility was owned or operated by Subway. This type of thing is basically always contracted.
Link to the ad
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM

It's $ 5.00 for a wad of bread and meat and veggies the size of a toddlers leg. Of course it's fresh sliced prime cut meats and all the veggies are grown in hydroponic tanks in the back.

In the next shopping center over Primo Hoagies charges roughly twice as much for the same sized sandwich,

You get what you pay for in both instances.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM

My daughter worked at a Subway for about a week during her summer break last year. She was required to count how many black olives were placed on a sandwich.

/tangential anecdote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
My daughter worked at a Subway for about a week during her summer break last year. She was required to count how many black olives were placed on a sandwich.

/tangential anecdote
That's called portion control, and every franchise (and most restaurants) do it. Profit margins are thin and every effort is made to keep costs within a narrow range.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
It's $ 5.00 for a wad of bread and meat and veggies the size of a toddlers leg. Of course it's fresh sliced prime cut meats and all the veggies are grown in hydroponic tanks in the back.

In the next shopping center over Primo Hoagies charges roughly twice as much for the same sized sandwich,

You get what you pay for in both instances.
As stated in the OP I worked in a Subway. Back then we sliced the meat in the back.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I don't know the answer to the question, but lots of people make sandwiches at home from presliced meat, whether it's the prepackaged stuff or the meat that the guy at the deli counter slices on order. Who cares if Subway uses presliced meat?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
That's called portion control, and every franchise (and most restaurants) do it. Profit margins are thin and every effort is made to keep costs within a narrow range.
Yes, I understand that. But this particular franchisee was extraordinarily anal about it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
<snip>This was back in the day when we still have to cut the bread with a u-shaped slice instead of a normal straight across cut.<snip>
I can't figure out what a u-shaped slice is.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
I can't figure out what a u-shaped slice is.
Picture taking a V-shaped chunk of bread out of the top of a roll, laying the ingredients in the trough, and replacing the V-shaped chunk of bread on top. It was a better sandwich, but took more time and skill to make.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM

It's more of a V. Subway used to cut a center channel down the bread loaf, put the meat slices in there, then put the tiny little top piece back on.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM

For what it's worth, last time I was in a Subway around here (not more than a few years ago) they were still cutting the U slice. I don't see how the toppings could get piled on and stay in there so well without it?

When I try this cut at home I usually end up with a mess. I blame my knife, not the skills of the chef.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Cubed View Post
It's more of a V. Subway used to cut a center channel down the bread loaf, put the meat slices in there, then put the tiny little top piece back on.
Yes. It made it look like there was more meat in the sandwich. But it made it difficult to keep all the other toppings on it.

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. But this particular franchisee was extraordinarily anal about it.
They were back then too. There were diagrams showing how many slices per sandwich. The meat had to be paper thin. It was sliced the day before but it did not come in pre-sliced.

Quote:
I don't know the answer to the question, but lots of people make sandwiches at home from presliced meat, whether it's the prepackaged stuff or the meat that the guy at the deli counter slices on order. Who cares if Subway uses presliced meat?
YMMV of course but freshly sliced sandwich meat is always better. The taste rapidly declines after slicing.

Old thread about changing how they cut the bread. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=223796
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Picture taking a V-shaped chunk of bread out of the top of a roll, laying the ingredients in the trough, and replacing the V-shaped chunk of bread on top. It was a better sandwich, but took more time and skill to make.
I remember when Subway used to make sandwiches like that. I think they tasted better back then too.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Let's move this over to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 10-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
I'd be flabbergasted if that facility was owned or operated by Subway. This type of thing is basically always contracted.
Link to the ad
But it's right in the ad?

"Facility shown is one of several slicing facilities used by Subway."

Link to screenshot
Old 10-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

/tangential anecdote
A friend of mine used to manage a Subway. They had some very scant number per sandwich and were supposed to be "garnish" rather than an ingredient. Having to constantly fight against people who treated the black olive slices like gold just to get enough to taste was one reason why Subway found itself dropped from my usual list of places to eat.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Just another random data point: I don't know about Subway, but I worked at Jimmy John's in the late 90s, and we sliced our own meat and cheese in-house, too.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-06-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM

I stopped eating at subway when they dropped the u--gouge. Then an employee told me that they would make my sandwich the old way on request. Been ordering it that way ever since without issue.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Let's move this over to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
I was looking for a factual answer. Not about the food itself. The rest is just a bonus.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 PM

If I may be allowed to piggyback a question I had about the same Arby's commercial...

I always had the (perhaps false) impression that Arby's roast beef was sliced from something more like a "potted" meat, like Spam, except beef. Is Arby's roast beef actual *whole* meat? It sure doesn't appear or taste that way. (Not that I particularly hate or love the stuff, it's just meh.)

If my suspicion is correct, bragging about slicing their "meat" fresh in-house would be a pretty silly distinction to make.

So, what's the straight dope? Is Arby's roast beef real, whole meat, or not? I've never noticed anything resembling a "grain" to the meat that would make me think it's real.

Last edited by voltaire; 10-06-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
So, what's the straight dope? Is Arby's roast beef real, whole meat, or not? I've never noticed anything resembling a "grain" to the meat that would make me think it's real.
Take a plastic bag and fill it with about 7 lbs. of beef chunks. Fill the rest of the way with a beef slurry(finely ground beef and fat with some salty water) for a total weight of 10 lbs. Freeze. Thaw, roast and slice.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM

This was somewhat a big deal here due to the factory being in Iowa. A link to the story in the local paper.

Yes its true
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Take a plastic bag and fill it with about 7 lbs. of beef chunks. Fill the rest of the way with a beef slurry(finely ground beef and fat with some salty water) for a total weight of 10 lbs. Freeze. Thaw, roast and slice.
So, as I suspected, their bragging about slicing their "meat" fresh is tantamount to bragging about freshly sliced Spam? Yeah, that is a silly distinction to try to make...
Old 10-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr2void View Post
But it's right in the ad?

"Facility shown is one of several slicing facilities used by Subway."

Link to screenshot
I've professionally visited a commercial bakery used by McDonalds for production of some of their buns. It is definitely not McDonalds and they also make baked goods for other entities.
I've visited the manufacturer of a popular line of Japanese-sounding soy and other sauces that you have probably heard of. But you've never heard of the company that actually makes the stuff.
Finally, I've visited a no-name factory that cuts and wet/vacuum-ages steaks for some huge, nationally advertised family steak restaurants.

Again, this stuff is almost always contracted out. Once a chain gets to a certain size, they have to concentrate on running and marketing for those stores rather than the difficult practice of operating efficient food production factories.

A surprising one to me is that Panera actually mixes their most of their own dough at one of (I think) ten facilities which is then trucked to the retail stores nationwide where it is locally baked.

On preview, the linked Iowa article confirms my speculation. The plant in the ad is operated by West Liberty Foods.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
So, as I suspected, their bragging about slicing their "meat" fresh is tantamount to bragging about freshly sliced Spam? Yeah, that is a silly distinction to try to make...
I think the commercial was pushing their turkey sandwich.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Apple Advisory Board

Quote:
I can't comment on what they serve at the restaurants, but I used to work in the same building as Arby's Test Kitchen. And they made honest-to-god, normal, really tasty roast beef there. I've seen it in the ovens.

Sometimes when they were playing with spice mixtures or cookies or other things, they'd leave extras with security. And security would call me and suggest that I go to the first floor for a visit.

-D/a
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubbleskag View Post
I stopped eating at subway when they dropped the u--gouge. Then an employee told me that they would make my sandwich the old way on request. Been ordering it that way ever since without issue.
Not only did they used to cut the u-gouge, they put the mayo/mustard on the bread, then the cheese, then meat, topped by veggies... I ALWAYS make the employees do it in this order... It usually irritates them, as they don't know how to cut it, and the sauces are the last step now, so they have to carry the bread all the way over to the end of the counter, and bring it back over.

The way they make it now, is just a mess... I grew up inside of two subways that my parents ran for 15 years. My father decided the last straw in his role as an owner was when they forced all the owners to ditch the "old NYC subway train" themed wall paper and pictures.

...And yes, Arby's uses a gelatinous type of meet mold that they indeed slice "fresh".

Applebees uses a seasoning called "apple seasoning" on EVERYTHING they serve.. but that is a topic for another discussion.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I think the commercial was pushing their turkey sandwich.
Ah, okay, that would make a lot more sense, assuming it is real, whole turkey breast they're talking about.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

If the roast beef isn't real, whole roast beef, I very much doubt that the turkey is either.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 PM

My first job in highschool was @ a subway. This would have been bout 1997 or therabouts.

No meat was sliced in the store. It came in a big box (frozen, in layers between plastic, which made it easier to put the sandwiches together). We would put a few boxes in the fridge to thaw and rotate them out as needed. We did slice some veggies, cucumbers and tomatoes IIRC. Never meat. In fact, everything but the veggies came frozen: cookie and bread dough, soup mixes, marinara sauce, tuna and crab salad mixes. Any veggies that could come canned were ordered that way.

No idea if it's still done that way.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Subway is the largest restaurant chain in the world with nearly 38,000 locations. Unlike McDonalds and other competitors, Subway locations are all franchises. Ie, nit a single one is owned by the corporation. I suspect that there's a lot of variation between locations.

But regardless, I thought the whole point of the ad was confusing. Does the fact that the cold cuts aren't sliced in the store imply that they're less fresh? That the quality of the meat is less? Arby's has some cojones to be arguing either case.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Arby's has changed the ad due to angry Iowans.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
If the roast beef isn't real, whole roast beef, I very much doubt that the turkey is either.
When I worked at Arby's the roast beef came frozen in unlabeled plastic wrap. Beef chunks with slurry? Ok, sure. It looked like a big ole hunk of meat to me but frozen and unlabeled can hide a lot of stuff. It took 4ish hours in the oven to cook though. The turkey came in smaller hunks labeled with an actual company's name and had to be sliced just like the roast beef. Actually, the ham, corned beef and turkey all came in small hunks labeled appropriately and needing slicing. As far as I or anyone else was aware, the turkey we served was no different than the turkey hunks you might pick up in the prepackaged meat section in the grocery store.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 PM

I get the impression that most deli meats are just sliced meat paste. Even if Arbys does slice their meat in the restaurant, it doesn't mean it's any fresher or better than Subways. Maybe it is, but where it is sliced doesn't seem like it would make much difference.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Missed the edit window, the deli meats in my local Subway definitely come in a sealed plastic wrapper, looks like about a 5" high stack of sliced meat. They cut open the bag and put the meat in one of the black plastic containers in the ingredients area, that's it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 PM

I was surprised by that commercial. Where the meat is sliced is probably the least important thing I care about in a sandwich.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubbleskag View Post
I stopped eating at subway when they dropped the u--gouge.
Really? I hated that and was glad they stopped doing it.

Since it was apparently important enough for you to (temporarily) stop eating there over it, can I ask what the big advantage is? I realize it made the toppings more visible (which was good for them, I guess, because it created the illusion you were getting more), but all it ever did for me as a sandwich-eater was force my hand into a "claw" to hold the top piece of bread, lest I get mustard/oil/vinegar smeared all over my fingers.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I get the impression that most deli meats are just sliced meat paste.
I dunno what kind of roast-beef you get at the deli, but it's usually very obviously got a grain to it that you'd expect to see in whole flesh.

Arby's roast-beef? Not so much... looks much more like Steak-Ums.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I dunno what kind of roast-beef you get at the deli, but it's usually very obviously got a grain to it that you'd expect to see in whole flesh.

Arby's roast-beef? Not so much... looks much more like Steak-Ums™.
A real deli, yes. But deli meats in a restaurant or supermarket are usually the processed stuff.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson2995 View Post
Unlike McDonalds and other competitors, Subway locations are all franchises.
Most fast-food restaurants are actually franchised:

70% of McDonalds restaurants worldwide are franchisee-owned. McDonalds only operates 15% of their restaurants themselves.

90% of Burger King restaurants are franchisee-owned.

80+% of Taco Bell restaurants are franchisee-owned.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
A real deli, yes. But deli meats in a restaurant or supermarket are usually the processed stuff.
Speaking of real delis, why would anyone in NYC go to Arby's(or Subway for that matter) for a deli-style sandwich?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Most fast-food restaurants are actually franchised
You understand that most < all, right? That was the point that was being made.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
You understand that most < all, right?
Having passed math in 4th grade, yes, I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
That was the point that was being made.
The point that was being made was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson2995
I suspect that there's a lot of variation between locations.
Being 100% franchisee-owned versus 70+% franchisee-owned probably doesn't make much of a difference in this regard.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Speaking of real delis, why would anyone in NYC go to Arby's(or Subway for that matter) for a deli-style sandwich?
I ask that all the time myself. I guess one must love sliced cucumbers, as I general don't see those available. Doesn't mean they aren't, just I haven't noticed them.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 AM

I guess Arbys doesn't have much else they can claim as an advantage over their competitors. Their "Frankenroasts" are made in a factory and shipped to the restaurants. Who cares whether it comes pre-sliced or sliced at the restaurant, it's still solidified meat paste. It's like a politician arguing that HIS mistress goes to church every Sunday.

Re: Subway counting olive slices: I have only been to one Subway that was stingy with their ingredients. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some franchise owners were really anal about portion control but it's far from the norm in my experience. I've only been to a very small portion of the 80,000 franchises though.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Really? I hated that and was glad they stopped doing it.

Since it was apparently important enough for you to (temporarily) stop eating there over it, can I ask what the big advantage is?
no advantage, I just really hate change.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXJohns View Post
This was somewhat a big deal here due to the factory being in Iowa. A link to the story in the local paper.

Yes its true
Bo's a New Yorker. To them real food doesn't come from Iowa.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM

I won't eat food from either of those places, so I don't care.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I was surprised by that commercial. Where the meat is sliced is probably the least important thing I care about in a sandwich.
One of the most important IMHO. Deli meats get stale quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I won't eat food from either of those places, so I don't care.
Glad you could drop by.