What's new since 1950?

I was reading a Kurt Vonnegut book written in the 1950s. One thing that struck me was that several things that I would consider “modern” were already invented–for example, microwave ovens.

Then, recently I read something that mentioned how we haven’t had any major inventions in a long time. Things like the printing press and the steam engine. So I started trying to think of what major inventions have there been in my lifetime (since approximately 1950). I don’t mean refinements or new applications. For example, we have tiny computers now, but computers have been around since the 1940s, maybe earlier.

Can you think of anything?

Mobile phones, the internet, home computers - most innovations in the 20th century had to do with communication. Do you not believe that the ability to actually have the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy in your pocket is a pretty major win?

You’re posting this inquiry on the Internet, which gives you instantaneous communication to people around the world, and you can’t think of any major innovations?

For the 1950 case, you are allowing inventions which were then little known, but would go on to be transformative (such as microwave ovens and computers). But for the 2012 case you are effectively asking for inventions which are already making a difference.

To be completely fair, you would have to include things that have been recently invented and that you and I haven’t heard of, but that will go on to transform the lives of future generations.

mobile two way communications, radio, existed in the 50s. also existed communications networks; telephone, telegraph, teletype, ticker. also computers existed.

we now have smaller computers, radio phones and larger communications networks.

man made satellites are new since 1950 the year but not 50 the decade…

I’m looking for more fundamental innovation. We already had telephony, radio, networking and computers. The things you mention are just evolutionary applications. For example, the steam engine was a fundamental invention that enabled the industrial revolution. Similarly for the printing press.

The microchip.

The printing press didn’t invent written press or books. It made the process better. It revolutionized it.

Steam engines didn’t invent travel. They made the process better. I guess they revolutionized it.

So, stop discounting every damn thing that has revolutionized something.

The microchip clearly revolutionized computers and numerous other devices.

Since you’re going back to 1950, I’d say the silicon transistor was fairly transformational. Followed quickly by the integrated circuit.

Similarly, the CCDs that allow for modern digital video and photography are allowing for a complete restructuring of how we document and archive the world around us.

The Pill had huge societal implications around the world.

And the microchip enabled the computer/internet revolution. You admit that the steam engine didn’t invent travel. The microchip didn’t invent computers.

Well, not sure which way you meant it, but the printing press was also very much an evolutionary progress. You could print books before Gutenberg, it just took a really long time. This is very similar to the way “computers” or “networks” existed in the 50s.

I agree with this but could make a case that even communication satellites were “invented” earlier. From Wikipedia:

The concept of the geostationary communications satellite was first proposed by Arthur C. Clarke, building on work by Konstantin Tsiolkovsky and on the 1929 work by Herman Potočnik (writing as Herman Noordung) Das Problem der Befahrung des Weltraums - der Raketen-motor. In October 1945 Clarke published an article titled “Extra-terrestrial Relays” in the British magazine Wireless World.[2] The article described the fundamentals behind the deployment of artificial satellites in geostationary orbits for the purpose of relaying radio signals. Thus, Arthur C. Clarke is often quoted as being the inventor of the communications satellite.

I vote mobile phone. Watch any movie from the dawn of cinema until around 1980 and ask yourself if the plot would make sense today, with everyone having a cell phone in their pocket. THAT is a transformative change.

Number 2 would be GPS.

The laser should qualify. The first working one wasn’t invented until 1960 and it has gone on to be a essential part of many modern technologies spanning from medicine to electronics.

Fair enough. If any of those things pop up, they count.

So far two things in the entirety of human history have been named as satisfying your criteria. If that’s representative of their frequency then just based on the odds nothing is likely to have come up in the last 60 years.

As for when an invention is said to happen I think generally the fundamental scientific ideas will preceed the real-world engineering solutions by a lengthy period. The first patents for sending a “video” electronically were issued in the 1880s. It just took quite a bit longer to actually get it all figured out in a way that made it generally practical.

I think credit for the invention of something generally precedes its practical application. So, again from Wikipedia:

In 1917, Albert Einstein established the theoretical foundations for the laser and the maser in the paper Zur Quantentheorie der Strahlung (On the Quantum Theory of Radiation); via a re-derivation of Max Planck’s law of radiation, conceptually based upon probability coefficients (Einstein coefficients) for the absorption, spontaneous emission, and stimulated emission of electromagnetic radiation; in 1928, Rudolf W. Ladenburg confirmed the existences of the phenomena of stimulated emission and negative absorption;[11] in 1939, Valentin A. Fabrikant predicted the use of stimulated emission to amplify “short” waves;[12] in 1947, Willis E. Lamb and R. C. Retherford found apparent stimulated emission in hydrogen spectra and effected the first demonstration of stimulated emission;[11]

Reminds me of one of the early “Law & Order” episodes with Rey Curtis (Benjamin Bratt), where Lennie is teasing him about his little phone, and how it keeps him instantly connected with his girlfriend.

Nowadays, it’s bizarre to see a TV character (modern) without a cell phone.

The steam engine existed long before the industrial revolution. Hero of Alexandria played around with steam engines a couple thousand years ago. He thought of them as interesting novelties, but missed the practical implications that could have started the industrial revolution all the way back then.

So your example of the steam engine is just as evolutionary as the modern things others are listing.

Most inventions are evolutionary. I wouldn’t discount computers and cell phones just because they existed in some form prior to the 1960s. The hardware and software that makes a computer small and affordable was revolutionary at the time, even if it was an evolutionary invention. The compilers used to make software have evolved incredibly rapidly in the last few decades. Without those, developing modern software would be too time consuming to be practical. Two way communications existed long before the 1950s, but the basic idea of low power radio cells that transformed into the modern cell phone technology, even if it was an evolutionary step, was revolutionary in its impact.

Even though you disagree with them, the personal computer and cell phone would both rank pretty high on my list. Parts of their technology may have existed prior to 1950, but they were revolutionary inventions nonetheless.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, the practical method of breaking up data into packets and letting them find their own way from their source to their destination was developed. This did not exist back in the early days of computers, and it was fundamental to the development of the modern internet. No matter what you say about computers, this invention was revolutionary.

1964 8-track tape
1982- compact disc
2000 - DVD

There are many things that qualify. Just not lately.

Printing press, steam engine, alternating current, lasers, communication satellites, computers all count. I’m just interested in the notion of whether we are not as inventive as we used to be.