BIOS and Runtime problems

I’m getting a message whenever I boot: Not enough space in runtime area!!SMBIOS data will not be available.

I have not installed any recent hardware/software, however…

A few weeks ago my PC froze up and wouldn’t even allow a soft reboot. So I held down the power button and did a hard reboot. It froze again in the middle of the boot. I waited a while and when nothing progressed, I hard booted again (in the middle of the previous boot.) This time when powered up, the PC cycled through a few “false starts”, where it would reboot itself 4 or 5 times after only being on for a few seconds each time. If finally began to boot and the boot up text cycled on screen (which never actually showed before) and I got an error message saying that the BIOS data failed to load and that there was not enough runtime area. Push f2 to continue. I did and Windows loaded up. I looked up info on BIOS and soft booted to try and access the BIOS menu. No matter how often I tried, I couldn’t get the PC to access the menu on reboot. Since it appeared that my usage of the PC was not really affected (as long as I left the computer on), I put off dealing with it. But yesterday Windows started warning me that my Validation had failed and that my copy of Windows is not Genuine. I assume the problem is related.

So today, I pulled the battery on the motherboard to reset the BIOS. After 10 minutes, I replaced it and booted up. Again, it did several false starts before succeeding at starting the boot process. Reset of BIOS info was confirmed, but I got a similiar message (Not enough space in runtime area!! SMBIOS data will not be available) I pushed the button to access the BIOS menu, and the PC appeared to load a new page with a blue border at the top. But there was no menu. No text whatsoever. I was forced to Ctrl Alt Del. Windows loaded again, though it seems to be taking away features and provides CONSTANT notifications that I need to get a valid copy. Any idea on how to fix this? Here are some specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
HP Pavillion p6754y
AMD Athlon™ II X4 640 Processor, 3000MHz
BIOS version: HPQOEM - 20100907 BIOS Date: 09/07/10 08:41:32 Ver: 6.04

Thank you for any ideas…

I don’t know what that error message is but in order to reset your bios, you must also jumper the CLRTC pins on the motherboard or use a button that is there on very high end boards

CLRTC stands for clear real time clock. If you don’t have your m/b manual, look for the model number on the circuit board and it should be available on the manufacturer’s web site. Everybody buys their m/b’s from one of the big makers like Asus, Foxconn, Gigabyte, Asrock, etc. The manual will show you where the pins are located. There will be 3 of them. Whichever 2 are normally jumpered together, you will jumper the other 2 in the following procedure:

You must do this in the following order.

1. switch off the power supply if possible from the back AND unplug. The front switch is not effective for cutting power completely.
  2. remove the button battery as you did before.
  3. jumper the 2 open pins on CLRTC
  4. WAIT AT LEAST 30-40 SECONDS. This is important. It can take this long for capacitors to discharge.
  5. put jumper back to original position
  6. replace battery
  7. plug in power, switch PSU back on.

This should reset your CMOS (bios). However as long as you have the manual open, double check this with the manufacturers instructions since there are never any absolutes.

Something I forgot to mention. While you’re digging around in the case trying to move the jumper from one set of pins to another, try not to tug on any of the thin wires. The ones for the front power switch, reset button and other front panel functions are usually just attached to the m/b with jumpers that may or may not have a firm grip on their pins. If you happen to pull them off and find you can’t start the computer or something else doesn’t work that involves a front panel control or port, this is likely the reason. There will be diagrams in the m/b manual to show you how to reconnect the wires and their jumpers are usually labeled, but it’s easier to just be careful in the first place.

Thank you for the response. But from what I’ve read, there are three ways to reset BIOS. Jump the pins like you described, or just leave the battery out for ten minutes. I forget the third. Most agree that leaving the battery out is the least “fiddly” method, so that’s what I did. And when I boot now, I DO get a message that BIOS has been reset to “factory settings”. I guess I can try the jumper pin method, but if all that does is reset BIOS to factory settings, I’m sure that’s been done already…

I guess that’s possible but I’ve never researched it. The only time I’ve ever had to do that was with a very, very old Compaq computer. By ‘old’ I mean as in x386 or x486 old. Except in that case it had a 4 pack of AA batteries as the RTC backup and I had to leave everything unplugged for a couple of weeks.

edit: If you actually got a message saying bios was reset then I guess you’re ok, but otherwise, the clrtc method is the only way to be sure.

So… then I’ve reset the BIOS but I’m still getting the “not enough runtime area” error. Any thoughts?

The only other thing I could say is do you have a speaker hooked up to the motherboard or is there one soldered into the circuit board. If so, do you get any beep codes during the POST (power on self test).

As soon as you power on the computer from a cold start, you will get beep (POST) codes if there is an error. The m/b manual will translate.

I have no idea what that code means and google seems to be of no help.

Considering your user name, I think Satan’s got hold of it.

I apologize for wasting your time.

You’ve probably been there, but here’s the official HP website for drivers & manuals for that model & Win7 64. I have an HP Pavilion a6720y which I just upgraded from Vista 64 to Win7 64 via their official upgrade disc (had it for years). Suffice it to say it wasn’t simple AT ALL, but I eventually succeeded. Your issues with Win7 constantly unactivating makes me think you may have a hardware problem with your motherboard, as Windows keeps thinking your hardware has changed. Or your MB battery may be low or dead. Try replacing it, not just removing & replacing it. Then reflash the BIOS with the newest version if you can.