Will this ATM mistake go unnoticed?

Ok so i went to the ATM to withdraw 200 bucks
and everythings going good you know im here slammin buttons and what not
then my cash is comin out… but it came out diagonally and i just thought… kool.
so i take it and im waiting for my receipt nothings happenin and i slap it like…fuck it
i leave later on i get home check how much is left in my account
and it says 202 was deposited then right after that it says 200 was added lol
so i think it thought it didnt give me anything so it put it back in my account minus the ATM fee

now my question is will this type of amount go unnoticed i know i doubt it :frowning: lol
and if it doesn’t what are the chances of me gettin charged that ammount… what if i withdraw all the money in my card and they cant take the money :slight_smile: haha
or should i just give it back =.=

Some banks are open Saturday. Wait until Monday, and it will almost certainly get caught. ATMs are temperamental beasts, but don’t let anything go unnoticed. They are also counted periodically. In other words, at the least, make sure that you have at least $200 in your account for now.

daaaaamn lol well today is the 1st so hopefully everyones out and about withdrawing cash haha if this goes unoticed thast gona be really cool thats like gettin my speeding ticked wiped

anyone ever have an experience like this happen to them?

ATM’s get audited regularly and when the count is off they look back at the receipts for the amounts that match the off amount. They also have pictures of you mugging at the machine with your “jackpot!” face. It could take up to a month, but they will catch it and adjust your account accordingly. If you just go to the bank and tell them what happened and show the receipt, the adjustment will be made sooner than later and you won’t have to worry about your account getting overdrawn later on.

Just wanted to comment that even though they believe they did not deliver the cash to you they still charged you the ATM fee.

In dealing with corporate institutions like banks, it is generally a very bad idea to call attention to mistakes made in your favor.

I am not saying this because you want to try to get away with it. I am saying this because doing so usually causes more confusion than it solves. If you go to your bank and tell them that you got an extra $200 in your account, it is very likely that the customer service department will take the extra $200 out, but then later (days or weeks later) when the ATM department completes its routine audit, they will also take $200 out of your account. You are then left fighting with them to get your $200 back.

The fact that $202 was deducted (I assume you meant to say “deducted” not “deposited”) from your account indicates that you probably used an ATM that was not owned by your bank. This adds to the layers of possible confusion. The operator of that ATM has no way of knowing that you went to your bank and had $200 withdrawn and if (when?) they discover the error, they will send through another $200 debit to your bank which your bank will routinely process.

Just leave the $200 sitting in your account. Don’t use it. Pretend it’s not there. Deduct it from your checkbook ledger if you use one. If after six months or so, the problem does not fix itself, then let the bank know.

How would you feel if they knowingly made a mistake against your account? I’m sure you would believe that they had the duty to correct it. You have the same obligation. Not doing so in my opinion is the same as stealing.

They do have that obligation, but as noted above, if they call customer service - and which one? Their bank or the bank that owns the ATM? - the rep may put a provisional hold on their account, and then when the bank that owns the ATM balances it On Monday, and they see $200 off, and they see a $200 withdrawal attempt with a final count dispenser error, they’ll run a $200 debit against you, and now you’re in a $400 hole that will probably take five weeks to sort out.

Pretend the $200 has been taken from your account, and if the two banks involved are paying attention, they’ll probably figure it out by Wednesday.

You may be the only person who’s laughing all the way FROM the bank.

I went to an ATM once and requested a withdrawal of $40, but three $20 bills came out. The receipt still said $40. I said “hey, extra $20, my lucky day”, and never gave it a second thought. That was 5-6 years ago and nobody has come knocking down my door yet.

This,( bolding mine).

Not quite the same type of situation, but a few years agothis happened.

If I had just left it alone it would have all been corrected by itself in a few days and all I would have seen, at most, was an ‘in and out’ correction on my visa statement.

They will eventually catch it and fix it. Just don’t spend the money.

Alley Dweller gave the best answer. Leave the money in the account. Let the bank ATM audit fix the problem.

If they never take the money back? <shrug> I’m might not report such a small sum. Simply because of the layers of corporate bureaucracy. You could still get double charged somehow and then its on you to recover your money. Banks are not easy or reasonable to deal with.

Many years ago I accidently lifted the cash cover before the money was in the tray and it didn’t deliver the money but deducted it from my account. I pulled another $20 out but couldn’t tell the bank because it was closed. After a quick call to the bank $20 had been put back in my account.

I once had an ATM give me $40 more than I asked for. The receipt showed the amount I asked for, not the extra $40. I called the bank to let them know. They said they’d take care of it.

When I got my statement at the end of the month, they had *credited *me an extra $40. Obviously, they should have debited it. At this point, I threw up my hands and said “fuck it.” I tried to do the right thing, but they were too stupid to do their end of the deal. Never heard another word about it.

A few months ago I withdrew money from a glitchy ATM machine. I counted the money later in the day and discovered that I had an extra $20 bill. The extra $20 was one of the older twenty dollar bills.

I’m an honest person and I actually considered calling the bank like a chump to return the $20, but then I thought about how the banking system and the Federal reserve system has really screwed society over by design. I gave the extra $20 to charity and moved on without a second thought… It’s not much, but I give on average $500 to charity a year anyway. Then again, people are arrested all the time for much less…

All of these Megabanks are stealing money all the time in elaborate schemes and they only get a slap on the wrist when caught which is rarely. How about Wachovia moving hundreds of billions of known drug money around and nobody at the bank went to jail… How about all of our tax dollars going to bankers in stimulus packages and Ben Bernanke won’t even tell us which banks got the money…

Greenspan said America will never go broke because they can always print more money… It’s monopoly money that will be worth next to nothing soon enough… I wish there was an ATM around nearby that would let me withdraw silver American Eagles.

With that said, watch me get charged with the theft of $20 that I gave to charity while the bankers and the politician friends get away with the theft of billions and the extras that they put in their Swiss, Caribbean and Maltese bank accounts.

Lastly… If an ATM gives you extra money, give it to the nearest homeless person or your local church on Sunday. The bank can’t always correlate ATM mechanical problems to withdrawals… Bills can stick together sometimes. They never took $20 back from my account anyway. If I got extra money from a store clerk or bank teller, I would most definitely give the money back. However, we all know what happened with the Machines in the movie Terminator… Get over on the machines before they rise!
Alan Greenspan: WE CAN ALWAYS PRINT MORE MONEY

Alan Grayson: “Which Foreigners Got the Fed’s $500,000,000,000?” Bernanke: “I Don’t Know.”

Glitch…

I had the same thing happen. I think the reason it happened in my case was that the bills were too new and two of them were basically together almost as one and came out at the same time.

Wait? So you hacked an ATM with an Atari Portfolio like John Conner in Judgement Day?

I’ll point out that the cameras on those don’t always do 30 frames per second. They might miss the expression on his face… there are probably still some systems out there that only take a frame every 5 seconds.

You’re certainly obligated to tell the bank about the error and make it right, at least ethically. You might or might not be legally obligated.

I think it’s improper here on the SDMB for any of us to be coaching about how to evade our ethical obligations, and I suspect there’s a rule someplace forbidding discussion of how to evade legal ones (especially considering that so far this example is being discussed as a real ongoing situation and not a hypothetical).