The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM

Pumpkinless pumpkin pie...really!!!

So I was looking around for a pie crust recipe online and came across this recipe for "faux pumpkin pie". It's made of cooked, pureed carrots instead of pumpkins. I was dubious, to say the least. The website seemed very confident, so I had to give it a whirl.

It was amazing! I think next time I will increase the spices, and I should add that I had no evaporated milk so I used whipping cream and milk instead.

I really really recommend trying this! I can't get canned pumpkin where I live and every attempt at fresh pumpkin pie seems lacking.

link:

http://www.pickyourown.org/carrotpie.php

Is this ok to link to that here? It's not a commercial site or anything. If it should be problematic I will be happy to comply with whatever needs to be done to rectify it. I stop short of Human Cent-iPad, though.

-BB
Advertisements  
Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Glad to hear someone vouch for it. I have a recipe for carrot pie in a couple of different pie books, but I've yet to try it.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Glad to hear someone vouch for it. I have a recipe for carrot pie in a couple of different pie books, but I've yet to try it.
Do it, do it! No fear, it works!

-BB
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Not sure that I will try it, but I'll bet it has a nice appetizing color.

I read in the local paper a couple of weeks ago that for a while now pumpkins have been bred for appearance and size rather than taste. So the growers must be thinking of contests and decorations rather than cooking. I suppose there are fewer people making their own pies.

And I have had the same disappointment as you in trying to make one from scratch.

My solution this year was to top it with pecan streusel, warm carmel sauce and whipped cream. No calories in that!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Anything tastes like pumpkin pie, if you put enough nutmeg in it.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM

I once made pie using steamed, mashed garnet yams in place of pumpkin. It was absolutely wonderful - in fact, I think it tasted better than pumpkin. I think any sweet, orange vegetable would substitute for pumpkin very well.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
This.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethered Kite View Post
My solution this year was to top it with pecan streusel, warm carmel sauce and whipped cream. No calories in that!

Speaking of which-

we had it for dessert tonight (the second of two I made yesterday), this time with fresh whipped cream with a little vanilla sugar mixed in. That was a bull's eye. Calories make EVERYTHING taste better! It was great!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Hey, this sounds awesome. Thanks for the link!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Sweet potatoes taste more like pumpkin than pumpkin does. So the secret to making pumpkin pie from scratch without canned pumpkin is to use sweet potatoes.

If you try to buy a jack-o-lantern pumpkin and cook it, you are going to be sorely disappointed. They are bred for size and looks, and are bland and watery.

To make pumpkin puree like you get in the cans, you need to get kabocha or other dense squashes that are bred for taste and sweetness rather than looks.

But any dense sweet orange or yellow vegetable would work, carrot is a pretty reasonable substitute if you can't get orange sweet potatoes.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Is that Jules' secret sewer rat pie recipe ya got there?

CMC
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM

Seconding the use of sweet potatoes and/or yams. Tastes more like pumpkin than pumpkin does.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pretty much. My favorite "pumpkin" pie is made from sweet potatoes.

ETA: I swear I did not see any posts following yours, which appear to share my opinion.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-04-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Seconding the use of sweet potatoes and/or yams. Tastes more like pumpkin than pumpkin does.
Third. I've been eating sweet potato pie my whole life, only to discover it hadn't been pumpkin 35 years later. Carrots, unless the size of softballs, just don't seem worth the effort.

Last edited by Casey1505; 12-04-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM

You can often find actual cooking pumpkins around this time of year if you have some fairly well-stocked grocery stores. They're much smaller than the jack-o-lantern types. The best ones are a little larger than a softball. Of course, pumpkin is one of those things, like sweet potatoes and beets, that really doesn't lose much but texture in the canning process, and if you're using it in a pie, the canned puree works just fine.

I'm still going to try this with sweet potatoes, though. We always end up with too many sweet potatoes in the fall.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

A cooking pumpkin should work, but I've heard good things about using butternut squash, which is easier to work with, anyway.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM

I dunno, I've made pumpkin pies from canned pumpkin and they were good. But the one I made from a fresh pie pumpkin was so good, it was unreal. Of course the crust was home made and the whipped cream was real.

I'd be interested in trying out the carrot pie. I always seem to have a big sad bag o' babby carrots forgotten in the vegetable drawer.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM

This reminds me of Ma's improvised apple pie using a green pumpkin in Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Here's a real easy one that some people say tastes like pumpkin pie (I think it's just because of the cinnamon.)

Amish Bread Pie
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Is this like the Mock Apple Pie without apples that they print the recipe for on boxes of Ritz Crackers?

Do you use Ritz in it?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Where do you live that you can't get canned pumpkin? We use it year-round. My wife makes amazing pumpkin pancakes.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Anything?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetLegend View Post
I'm still going to try this with sweet potatoes, though. We always end up with too many sweet potatoes in the fall.
Make sure you mash/blend them very well to break up the "strings". You want a very smooth texture, and sweet potatoes are much more fibrous than pumpkin.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

My basis for the "anything" statement was, one of the first times I made apple pie, I had some nutmeg in the cupboard, and figured a few shakes would be a nice touch. I wasn't exactly wrong, but I didn't realize just how little nutmeg you need to have "a touch". So my apple pie ended up tasting like pumpkin pie.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Is this like the Mock Apple Pie without apples that they print the recipe for on boxes of Ritz Crackers?

Do you use Ritz in it?
No, no Ritz. Couldn't get THAT here, either. For whoever asked up there, I live in Denmark. The grocery scene here is extremely impoverished.

But- does that really exist? A mock apple pie recipe with no apple but Ritz crackers? That's hilarious! I must know more...

Off to Google

-BB
Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 AM

On impulse, I bought "L'Oven Fresh Sweet Potato Pie", $2.99, at Aldi's. I mention this because it was remarkably GOOD! The crust was crispy-flaky like home-made, it was a little lighter and more delicate than pumpkin pie, and I highly recommend it. A bit small, 8" maybe. Aldi's also has pecan pies (haven't tried them) and several cakes, plus a freezer full of all kinds of great looking goodies.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Our school system used to (maybe does still) feed kids sweet potato pie at Thanksgiving and tell the kids it's pumpkin- fooled us clear through our senior years.

I have made a couple of acorn squash pies which were quite passable punkin pie substitutes.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Mock apple pie is disgustingly accurate.

There was a recipe that was knocking around on some news sites last year, and I gave it a shot. Basically a pie crust with a filling of boiled Ritz crackers, sugar, and citric acid.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM

I actually MADE the "Mock Apple Pie" shown on the Ritz cracker box.

It was many years ago, back when we rode the covered wagons across the prairie. I don't remember all the ingredients aside from crust, Ritz crackers and apple cider vinegar.

It was DAMNED good, and sonofagun, it tasted like APPLE PIE!

~VOW
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I actually MADE the "Mock Apple Pie" shown on the Ritz cracker box.

It was many years ago, back when we rode the covered wagons across the prairie. I don't remember all the ingredients aside from crust, Ritz crackers and apple cider vinegar.
I'm not even sure the original recipe contained apple cider vinegar. From what I remember, it had no connection to apples whatsoever, just the spicing of the pie itself.