[QUOTE=DMark]
Years ago, when I was living in Berlin, I used to have an annual Thanksgiving party and invite German and American friends…it was always a big hit. One year, an American woman and I decided to make pumpkin pies from scratch, using my trusty Joy Of Cooking book recipe. Germans have great bakeries and pastries, but they have pretty much never heard of a pie, and just finding a few pie plates took some work (we bribed a few nice local GI’s to get them from the PX).
We should have just bribed them to buy the damned pies.
It took forever to make two pies! Cutting up the pumpkins, scraping them, cooking them, making the filing, making the crusts…I will NEVER make another pumpkin pie from scratch again!
And after all that work, and then making the whipped cream by hand, the pies were consumed in about 13 seconds.
Yes, they were quite tasty - but to be honest, Sarah Lee does a fine job as well, and hers is a hell of a lot easier.
[/QUOTE]
True. And that’s exactly how I ended up making pumpkin pies from scratch–celebrating Thanksgivings abroad, and it’s a bit difficult to find Libby’s overseas.
The worst was when one year I had just spent about 2 hours roasting the damned pumpkins (actually, they were usually butternut squashes, although occassionally you could find green-skinned pumpkins with orange flesh, too), squeezed them through the cheesecloth, put in the egg yolks, cream, sugar, etc to complete the filling and, while adjusting the sweetness, I ran out of brown sugar and ran to the cupboard for white sugar, dumped about half a cup in, and tasted it only to realize 'twasn’t sugar. 'Twas salt. :smack:
Back to the market, back to another few hours roasting squash. Good thing I made the pie the day before.
It’s actually not really all that much work–it’s just a lot of waiting, and a little bit of scraping and squeezing. For the crust, I cheat: just make a cookie crust by pulverizing ginger snaps/graham crackers/whatever and mixing it with melted butter until it holds together. Line a pie pan with this and, voila, simple, idiot-proof crust that tastes great!
Although these days I think sweet potatoes make a better “pumpkin” pie than pumpkins.