The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Lumpy Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 12,658
XKCD 12-05-12: I don't quite get it

http://xkcd.com/1143/
I gather that they all want to come to his house in an incredibly cool location, but I'm not placing it; the Pleiades? And I don't get the mouseover reference.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM
hogarth hogarth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
"Ingress" is a game I've never heard of, where playing involves standing with your phone in a specific place, I guess.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...ss-264737.html

Last edited by hogarth; 12-05-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 59,031
I'm with you. All I found out by googling is that Ingress is a recently released video game. And not being a video gamer, I accept that jokes based on this subject will usually go over my head.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 23,275
"Ingress" is a game created by Google that combines elements of a traditional game along with GPS tracking of where the individual is. So you have to physically go certain places to accomplish things, which is why these people want to go where they went. I'm not sure if there is as much fighting as the last panel implies, but it would be cool if there were.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
zut zut is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,650
Useful link: Explain xkcd wiki (and here's a direct link to this comic's entry for people browsing at a later date).

Last edited by zut; 12-05-2012 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
chrisk chrisk is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Southern ontario
Posts: 6,008
I was stumped until I logged onto the xkcd forums.

Apparently Ingress is some Google Android game that involves finding 'exotic matter' in certain real-world locations. So the three pushy peeps are Ingress players who've found several deposits of game XM on the other guy's lawn; they're going to use their phones to collect it when they come over for the visit.

And apparently I get no XM of my own. Too slow.
__________________
Stringing Words Forum
Aspiring writers and authors supporting each other.
Goals and resolutions our particular specialty - also sharing commiseration and triumphs.
Join today!

Last edited by chrisk; 12-05-2012 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Jenaroph Jenaroph is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
"Ingress" is a game I've never heard of, where playing involves standing with your phone in a specific place, I guess.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...ss-264737.html
That sounds...pretty damn cool. I read a William Gibson novel a few years ago (don't remember the name) that revolved around a similar kind of real-world interaction with virtual-world information overlays, and, well, here it is in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM
dataguy dataguy is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
That sounds...pretty damn cool. I read a William Gibson novel a few years ago (don't remember the name) that revolved around a similar kind of real-world interaction with virtual-world information overlays, and, well, here it is in the future.
The future is more evenly distributed everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
That sounds...pretty damn cool. I read a William Gibson novel a few years ago (don't remember the name) that revolved around a similar kind of real-world interaction with virtual-world information overlays, and, well, here it is in the future.
Sounds like "Halting State" by Charles Stross.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Grumman Grumman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Apparently Ingress is some Google Android game that involves finding 'exotic matter' in certain real-world locations. So the three pushy peeps are Ingress players who've found several deposits of game XM on the other guy's lawn; they're going to use their phones to collect it when they come over for the visit.
I'm imagining two muggers sitting in a dark alley, talking about why they think people with smartphones keep showing up.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Justin_Bailey Justin_Bailey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Apparently Ingress is some Google Android game that involves finding 'exotic matter' in certain real-world locations. So the three pushy peeps are Ingress players who've found several deposits of game XM on the other guy's lawn; they're going to use their phones to collect it when they come over for the visit.
So basically it's geocaching, but 1% more interesting?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Odd they'd use the name (more or less) of a well known classic relational database program.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Balance Balance is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
So basically it's geocaching, but 1% more interesting?
Far more profitable, when the next phase I expect goes into effect. In Phase II, Google sells XM and event locations to businesses for advertising purposes. Want to draw a bunch of people with enough money for smartphones to your business on opening day? Pay Google to put a large XM source at your store's coordinates. Players within your store's locus will drop by to harvest it, see your store, and maybe come inside to check it out. Even if they don't, the extra traffic will make you look busy, which can attract further attention. It's like have a loss-leader, without the loss.

I pitched this idea a year or two ago, but I don't have enough evil marketeer in me to push it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Andy L Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
That sounds...pretty damn cool. I read a William Gibson novel a few years ago (don't remember the name) that revolved around a similar kind of real-world interaction with virtual-world information overlays, and, well, here it is in the future.
"Zero History" is the one you're thinking of.

Aside from "Halting State" by Stross, there's also "This is Not a Game" by Walter Jon Williams.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Attack from the 3rd dimension Attack from the 3rd dimension is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
I'm imagining two muggers sitting in a dark alley, talking about why they think people with smartphones keep showing up.
Can we name them Estragon and Vladimir?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 59,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Can we name them Estragon and Vladimir?
Waiting for GoDaddy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM
obfusciatrist obfusciatrist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Sounds like "Halting State" by Charles Stross.
Also Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 AM
tanstaafl tanstaafl is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,124
Here's the official Ingress web site

And here's the viral site that goes with it

And the obligatory user site

Gameplay image

Here's the basic setup blurb
Quote:
The primary goal of the game is defend the takeover of the human race by an unknown “Shaper” force or, depending on your perspective, to assist in an “Enlightenment” of mankind through an alliance with the Shapers. This is accomplished by aligning with either the Resistance or the Enlightened faction and by creating “Control Fields” over geographic areas. Progress in the game is measured by the number of Mind Units controlled by each Faction (visible on the Intel Map).
XM Control Fields are established by claiming Portals and then linking Portals together to form Fields. More powerful Portals can link over longer distances (up to hundreds of kilometers). The link range of a Portal is determined by the power of the attached Resonators. Portal Keys are needed to form links.

When three Portals are linked to form a triangle, a Control Field is established over the region. It will be rendered on the Scanner as a hazy blue or green field over the area. The number of Mind Units claimed is related to the population density of the area covered. Cities yield more Mind Units than rural areas.

Your ultimate goal is to cooperate with other players in your Faction to secure or liberate the entire world.
The initial portals were libraries, post offices, historical markers and the like, but Google is allowing people to submit new sites for portals.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 AM
wayward wayward is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Basically a clever way for Google to collect map data for walking routes, as I understand it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 55,188
Quote:
Quoth Balance:

Far more profitable, when the next phase I expect goes into effect. In Phase II, Google sells XM and event locations to businesses for advertising purposes. Want to draw a bunch of people with enough money for smartphones to your business on opening day? Pay Google to put a large XM source at your store's coordinates. Players within your store's locus will drop by to harvest it, see your store, and maybe come inside to check it out. Even if they don't, the extra traffic will make you look busy, which can attract further attention. It's like have a loss-leader, without the loss.
On thinking about it, it's even better than that. Not only are you attracting large numbers of people to the vicinity of your store, you're attracting large numbers of smartphone users to the vicinity of your store. Which is to say, people with disposable income.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Glazer Glazer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
"Zero History" is the one you're thinking of.

Aside from "Halting State" by Stross, there's also "This is Not a Game" by Walter Jon Williams.
And the sequel to "This is Not a Game": Deep State".
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Death of Rats Death of Rats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
On thinking about it, it's even better than that. Not only are you attracting large numbers of people to the vicinity of your store, you're attracting large numbers of smartphone users to the vicinity of your store. Which is to say, people with disposable income.
And people who communicate to other users in real time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Andy L Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazer View Post
And the sequel to "This is Not a Game": Deep State".
I have to read that one (and its sequel "The Fourth Wall")
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Balance Balance is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
On thinking about it, it's even better than that. Not only are you attracting large numbers of people to the vicinity of your store, you're attracting large numbers of smartphone users to the vicinity of your store. Which is to say, people with disposable income.
I said that, did I not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Want to draw a bunch of people with enough money for smartphones to your business on opening day?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.