If you're going to lie, at least TRY to make it believable

Remember Tommy Flanagan, the pathological liar played by Jon Lovitz on Saturday Night Live many years ago? I’ve met his real-life counterpart.

Well, I haven’t actually MET him; more like I’m aware of him. Let me explain.

My company offers membership in Virgin HealthMiles as a way to encourage employees to get fit. I joined up as soon as I could, because based on the name I thought I’d earn points every time I didn’t have sex. Since I’m a middle-aged man, that would mean I could earn a LOT of points.

But it turned out that you earned points by doing things like walking and exercising, which was okay too. You got a free pedometer to wear that would log the number of steps you took each day, and all you had to do was plug it into your computer and the steps would be automatically tallied for you. Plus, the points you earn can be redeemed for cool things, like money. So it’s a win-win all the way around.

And, as an added bonus, every once in a while there are Challenges, in which you compete with other people to see who can take the most steps or something. In these Challenges you can earn even MORE points if you win. Which is how I became aware of the liar.

My company recently teamed up with four others in our area to sponsor a Challenge. Whichever company took the most collective steps in a 20-day period would be declared the winner, and the top overall competitor would win fabulous prizes: bonus points, the right to go to all the other companies and moon them from their front steps, a cool hat with “I’m the best Virgin!” on it, and such.

So I’m all excited about this Challenge, and the day it starts, I walk a LOT around my office building. When I printed a multi-page document, I would walk from my desk to the printer several times, getting one page each time. I went to the bathroom even when I didn’t have to pee. And when I got home that night, I hopped on the treadmill for about 90 minutes. All in all, I amassed something like 23,000 steps that first day. It takes roughly 2,000 steps to equal one mile, so I had walked more than 12 miles! I just knew I was going to be the bestest Virgin EVER.

Lo and behold, when I checked the Challenge website, there was some guy from a bank who had uploaded **60,000 **steps that first day! He must’ve run a marathon, or something. Obviously being the best Virgin was going to be a lot harder than I thought; I was “Gutter Slut” compared to him.

No matter. I would outlast him. I would be the tortoise to his hare. He would tire eventually. I would wear him down, and then I would take his Virginity from him. So to speak.

The Challenge is now in its 18th day; it ends tomorrow. Needless to say, the guy didn’t slow down. He’s currently claiming more than 1.2 million steps to date, an average of 33.8 miles PER DAY. To quote the guys on ESPN: “C’mon, man!” I might buy the fact that you did this once or twice over a 20-day period, but EVERY SINGLE DAY? I’m not even sure it’s humanly possible, especially if you’re working a regular job.

The problem is, you can fool the pedometer. If you shake it in your hand, sometimes it will assume you’re taking steps, and count them. I might or might not have done this in the past. Hypothetically.

Fortunately, I’m not the only person who is convinced of this guy’s chicanery. There’s a chat feature on the Virgin site (yes, I know how that sounds; keep your dirty comments to yourself), and several veiled and not-so-veiled comments from others show that nobody thinks he’s legit. My favorite comment so far is “Somebody has attached their pedometer to the paint-mixing machine at Lowe’s.”

Bitter experience has taught me the pitfalls of dishonesty, so I’ve refrained from attaching my pedometer to my hyperactive dog in an attempt to beat this guy. At least I can comfort myself in the knowledge that others are aware of his cheating.

But alas - I will not be the best Virgin.

Is this seriously the first time you’ve heard about someone lying about being a virgin?

That really sucks. I agree this guy is almost certainly cheating. I doubt you’ll be able to do anything about it, but in theory - several of the more advanced pedometers break things down by hour (or finer gradations). If they wanted to - it wouldn’t be hard to look into this and see - hmm that’s odd - he seems to be getting the same amount every hour for x hours (which would likely happen if he attached it to a fan or something).

He has to be actively trying to cheat. Shaking it with your hand - well you still have to do exercise.

Hope they disqualify him. But you are doing the right thing by not cheating. 23k is a pretty good number to do while working. 60k is pretty much impossible.

There’s a phone app called Strava for cycling and running. It uses GPS to track your speed, and you can compare your pace with others over the same route. You’d think this is harder to game, since it records your GPS position continuously.

Unfortunately it’s easy to forget to hit the stop button when you finish. You sometimes see segments where someone tops 100km/hr, because they’ve forgotten to turn it off for the drive home.

On the last day you should take you pedometer to Lowes and and put 1.3 million steps on it for the one day. Win!

You can DO that?!

I’ve seriously considered strapping it to the front tire of my car as I drive to and from work, but so far I’ve refrained.

I just checked the site again - he’s added another 50,000 steps since this afternoon. He’s now just over 1.3 million steps since November 19, or roughly 36 miles per day.

I’m in awe. Clearly he’s the Flash.

And what really sucks is that it’s so fantastic when companies try to promote wellness with these incentives, yet people cheat. My company currently pays a dollar a day when I exercise 30 minutes. Sometimes it’s the little boost I need to get off my butt, you know? Apparently I can be bought.

Oh, yeah – I may act all consumed with righteous indignation about the cheating, but my main motivation in participating in stuff like this is the monetary gain. My company pays up to $600 each year if you reach certain levels of activity. I’m all about getting paid to get fit.

Well, fitTER, anyway.

just hang it from the pendulum of a grandfather clock.

go to a building supply store, strap the pedometer on a can of paint and have them put it on the paint shaker.

Mention any number in a group of guys and there is always someone that will come up with a bigger number.

But in this case I think it’s just greed.

Can it be attached to the wrist? I bet I know how he’s doing it…

Still - that’d be impressive, right there. I don’t care who you are. That would indicate stamina on an almost unheard-of scale.

Do you have a friend with a kid who has a hamster? Attach that sucker to a hamster wheel and you’re in like Flynn.

I’ve noticed some of the cheaper pedometers will tally up “steps” if the car ride is bumpy. There are LOTS of ways to rack up miles.

Sorry about your situation, Sauron. :frowning:

Man! Your sugar tit is twice the size of mine!

(Bet you weren’t expecting to read that sentence today.)

Today?! I didn’t expect to hear that sentence my entire life.

One more thing off my bucket list!

If he’s got the bouncy-leg thing going on, and the pedometer counts every bounce, then the numbers could conceivably be accurate. Lord knows, if they counted the amount of times I bounce my leg during the day it could easily reach that number.

True, but the Virgin HealthMiles folks ask that people not do that. I shake my foot almost constantly while I’m sitting at my desk, and I could attach the pedometer to my shoe and rack up beaucoup “steps” that way. Wouldn’t be kosher, though.