If you're going to lie, at least TRY to make it believable

Since the miles are automatically uploaded, I wouldn’t call him a cheater yet. Maybe he left the pedometer on top of the washer or something.

Or maybe you’re competing against a letter carrier or UPS delivery dude. I bet they log 36 miles per day during Christmas.

Nope, banker. Or at least, somebody who works at bank in town. The companies in the challenge are us, two banks, an information services company, and a hospital.

Maybe this guy hand-delivers the cash to all the ATMS in the area, or something.

Or maybe he works on the dock and delivers mail and packages all day. And he delivers them one at a time. And takes the stairs.

We call this the “first liar always loses” syndrome.

In the interest of closure, I thought I’d give you the final tally … he ended the challenge with 1,403,950 steps. Over 19 days, and assuming an average of 2,000 steps per mile, he claims he walked/jogged/ran an average of 37 miles per day. Which I don’t think is possible unless you have superpowers.

I ended up with a paltry (but legitimate!) 293,800 steps, for an average of about 7.7 miles per day.

Yeowch, what a long way to go for…what? A hat? Pfft.

There’s a guy my hubby works with who just MUST WIN the Biggest Loser weight challenge their office does every spring. Sure, he does it honestly, but…wrapping yourself in saran wrap (Ok not saran wrap, but some mechanical device that acts like saran wrap; he wears it all day at work, and after work as well, I’m sure) , not eating for a month, and sweating it out in saunas just to win 50 bucks…come on. The worst part is it demoralizes the office, and there are a LOT of people in that office who could stand to lose <more than> a few pounds, and the yearly challenge used to be everyone’s kickstart. After the third year running of this guy just going SO FAR to win they just kinda gave up. The guy isn’t overweight, either, and afterwards he goes right back to whatever weight he was at before. I can see challenging yourself for fun, but when you’re doing something as part of a team, even a competitive one, I just don’t see the advantage to making ‘winning’ the only important thing.

Good for you! That’s a lot, and you should be proud. You get the coveted InsomniaMama stamp of approval.

I will be honored to display it.

Not likely. That’s an average of 4.5 MPH over an eight-hour shift. Given that they have to stop from time to time to deliver letters, they would have to pretty much jog from mailbox to mailbox.

While carrying ~20 pounds of mail.

In a uniform that’s not particularly optimized for athletic activity.

For eight hours.

My insurance company handed out pedometers for a fitness project. The things were so inacurant as to be laughable. Over my two mile walk I had a twenty percent swing in the number of steps it counted. I pitched it in the trash after the first week.

A friend of mine entered a local contest online. One of the factors they took into account when choosing the winner was how many views your 2-minute entry video got on the contest website. Of course 99% of the entrants got a few hundred to a few thousand views over the course of a few weeks. All except for one guy, who somehow miraculously convinced over a quarter-million people to watch his video in the first 24 hours. Fortunately TPTB recognized it for what it was and called him out on it.

One shameless bump for this; it seems appropriate what with the Manti Te’o situation at Notre Dame. Would that Manti had read this thread months ago. Of course, it didn’t exist then, but you get what I mean.

What do you bet, his BMI is in the 40s. :smiley:

Get back to Hollywood, Mel.