The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote question: Man who isn't dying

I have a vague memory of a book, or possibly a comic book, where there is a character who can see people's mortality and sees them all as dying, and so he is constantly depressed and pessimistic. Then he runs into someone and looks startled and when asked what he sees he says "I see a man who ISN'T dying!"

Does anyone have any idea what this might be from?

Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but this does remind me of a couple interactions of this type:

In the Wild Cards series, there's a character named Spectre who has the ability to visit someone's eventual death on them, now. Most people just have a heart attack and die when he touches them (he can't turn the power off...); others get crushed as if they had fallen from a great height or gotten hit by a car. He grabbed (by the way, he's a bad guy) a character who seems to be immortal and was really peeved when the guy didn't die.

In Smallville, Dr. Fate has the ability to see what other peoples' fates are, and he is just stunned when he meets Clark Kent.

I think that Smallville also did the Specter-type of power, and the guy was likewise annoyed when he grabbed Clark and Clark didn't die... that may have been more of just the garden-variety immunity to kryptonite-granted powers, though.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Scully: And when do I die?
Clyde Bruckner: You don't.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Neither of those is the one I remember though. I have a sense that it was in the 80s or 90s and it was a comic book if I not mistaken.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Keeping to the possible comic book origin, were there any particular titles you regularly read back in the 80s/90s? If not specific titles, what about specific publishers? (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc).
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

The Dragonlance series. Raistlin was cursed with hourglass eyes when he took his trial to become a wizard.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montag01 View Post
Keeping to the possible comic book origin, were there any particular titles you regularly read back in the 80s/90s? If not specific titles, what about specific publishers? (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc).
In the 80s, mostly Marvel, but in the 90s I branched off into Dark Horse as well and read a lot of diffeent titles.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM

I don't know who the guy with deathsight might be, but could the man he saw be Mr. Immortal, founder of the Great Lakes Avengers? He is allegedly destined to survive the end of the universe, and he once defeated a cosmic-level threat (Maelstrom) by depressing him to death.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
The Dragonlance series. Raistlin was cursed with hourglass eyes when he took his trial to become a wizard.
This is my vote. If I recall correctly, Raistlin was startled by the immortal beauty of the elf maiden Laurenthalasa.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
This is my vote. If I recall correctly, Raistlin was startled by the immortal beauty of the elf maiden Laurenthalasa.
Well, extremely long-lived at any rate, and at that time in the first flush of youth. But Raistlin exclaimed "I see a man who is not dying!" when he saw Astinus Lorekeeper. Some say Astinus is the god Gilean of the Book, which would explain a great deal. Astinus for his part responded a little later with "I see a man who is".

Disclaimer: I found the Dragonlance books complete drek and there are many I haven't read; but I definitely read that bit.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
YES! THAT is it! Thanks very much, you have saved my freaking sanity!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
Not quite: he was startled when he saw an Irda. She seduced him and bore his child.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
YES! THAT is it! Thanks very much, you have saved my freaking sanity!
Glad to be of help. Use that retained sanity wisely.