"Miracle on 34th St" question

It was on as background tonight. They go to somebody’s mega mansion on Xmas morning. The doors open and Kris greets everybody as they file into the big room with the tree. A guy in a suit walks straight to some kind of contraption that I at first thought was an exercise machine, although, of course, it wasn’t- but what was it? I suppose I could watch it again and this time pay attention, but watching this flick more that once a year is not an option.

It’s the x-ray machine (or some other medical device - but I’m almost sure it’s an x-ray) that Macy & Gimbel agree to split the cost of during the photo op where they’re shaking hands.

X-ray. And the “mansion” is the old age home where Kris lives.

During the photo op, Macy tells Kris that Kris will get 10 percent off the x-ray machine if he buys it through the store. Could you really buy a piece of equipment like that through Macy’s department store?

One of the many cuts made for TV airings chops part of the scene of Macy and Gimbel shaking hands – they’re trying to one up each other in offering things to Kris, and of course he demurs, but he mentions that he has a friend (the head of the old folks’ home) who needs a new X-ray machine. I think the guy mentions it in the earlier scene where he tells Shellhammer that Kris’ delusion isn’t dangerous. That part might have gotten chopped too.

That movie has been quite brutally treated by syndication cuts.

–Cliffy

I bought the DVD a few weeks ago (the original, of course). It was a little over 90 minutes. I was appalled to see it fill a 2.5 hour time slot last night. I can’t imagine cutting any scenes–it would be mainly commercials with a bit of movie thrown in.