Possibly moving to Kansas City -- tell me about neighborhoods

My wife has a job opportunity in Kansas City, MO, and we’re going to be visting there shortly after the first of the year to look around and see if we want to move there. We currently live just down I-70 in Columbia. I went to college near Kansas City and spent a lot of time getting blind drunk on 39th Street, but that was about 20 years ago. I’m sure what little I can remember of the place has changed a bit since then.

My wife and I have spent most of our lives in mid-to-large cities like St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati. Columbia is nice and all, but being in a larger city is attractive to us both.

When we visit, we’re going to check out some neighborhoods we might want to live in. Where should we look? Tell me about KC neighborhoods (MO or KS side) you’re familiar with and what you liked/disliked about them.

Here is a little about us:

[ul]
[li]We are both about 40. We have a son who will be 2 soon.[/li][li]We are fairly affluent professionals but socially and politically liberal. We don’t attend church.[/li][li]Neither of us are particularly crazy about the kind of suburbs where you’re 30 minutes by car from anything you want to do. We tend to like living closer to city amenities, dining, cultural activities, etc. (When we lived in St. Louis, we lived in the Central West End. When we lived in Cincinnati, we lived in Mt. Adams/Hyde Park. If you’re familiar with those areas, that might give you an idea of what we’re looking for.) We don’t necessarily need to live within the city limits of KC proper. But if we live in a suburb, the town center needs to be something other than a strip mall and a gas station.[/li][li]Public school quality may not be a big concern for us. We’re leaning toward private school for the munchkin and any subsequent munchkins.[/li][li]We would be looking to buy a single-family house rather than rent.[/li][li]We’d like to live in a culturally-diverse neighborhoood. I’m white, my wife is Indian (raised in the US). [/li][li]My wife’s job would be in a one of the northern suburbs (Gladstone or NKC or somewhere like that), but I would likely be working either from home or in downtown.[/ul][/li]So, uh, I guess that’s it. What neighborhoods should be on our tour?

What type of home architecture do you prefer? You can really rule in our out entire areas of the city on that alone.

For example, if you want to live in a Tudor or Craftsman they’re the predominant residential style south of the river, but you’ll have a harder time finding them north.

I like in KC but would not hold myself out as an expert. Stil, for you I’m feeling an area that lies on line from the Plaza to Waldo. Farther north is a little more affluent, farther south is a little more diverse. So, roughly along Wornall Rd. from Brush Creek in the north to about 75th st. in the south, several blocks on either side.

I may be projecting, though. I’d love to live in that exact area :wink:

Parkville is neat, too, if you don’t mind being a little farther from downtown. As is Liberty.

I don’t think we have an architectural preference, really. I think the only main features we’re looking for there are a two-car garage and space in the garage or basement for a workshop.

On the list it goes!

I’m not familiar with Parkville. Can you tell me more about it? I went to school in Liberty, so I have decent memories of it. I lived in an apartment on the town square for a while. It’s definitely a possibility.

ETA: Although, I remember Liberty being pretty homogenously white. Is that still the case?

I had the same vibe; we live between Wornall and Ward Parkway, and love it. About the same age range as the OP, and liberal, but no kids.

I adore Parkville, too.

Well, I think that Katriona put it properly; Parkville is adorable.

It has a really, um, adorable ‘downtown’ built on the side of the hill north of the river, with some quaint little shops, restaurants, coffee houses etc. There is a really great park with a walking parth right along the river, and an beautiful college campus overlooking the town.

On the ‘top’ of the hill are lots of older houses and a nature park. There are some 80’s era subdivisions as well as newer stuff on the outskirts. It’s maybe 10 minutes from downtown.

Yeah, I think so. That’s the impression I get, anyway. In fact I was just up there this morning; parked on the square…wonder if it was near your old apt?

I’m thinking we need a KC Dope-Fest when you come to town!

Did you see Mace Shoe Repair? There are (or were anyway) two apartments above it. I lived in one.

Sure!

I have been thinking that all day…I know of a couple other KC dopers, but being aware of two more for some reason pushed my mind into ‘KC DopeFest’ mode.

No, but I parked on the far SE corner. If you haven’t been back for a while, there’s a new big justice complex and courthouse off that side of the square.

I think they were building that up when I left. I remember the juvenile detention center being new the last year I lived there. They gave tours before it was put in service for detainees. It was odd and fascinating to tour the Juvie. The tour guide was one of those perky young women who give tours at historical sites and such. Only she was going on about the unbreakable glass and polished stainless steel mirrors.

I don’t know what your budget is, but I’d agree with Sicks Ate. Your requirements would mesh really well with the Waldo and Brookside area, which is approximately 79th st to 63rd st and from around Wornall to State Line (though it technically goes from around 85th st to around 53rd street, beyond that it starts merging with the Plaza).

You may also want to look at the Hyde Park area, which is North and to the East of Westport.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The three areas mentioned so far – Waldo/Brookside, Parkville, Hyde Park – are on the list, and probably Liberty as well. Anybody else want to chime in?

Feel free to look at Liberty, but I don’t think based upon your criteria, it’s going to be what you want.
For one, I find there’s not as much to do North of the river as there is South of it. For another, you mention you’re liberal. Sam Graves ® is the House Representative there. Republicans also represent MO House districts 16,17 & 38 which encompass all of Liberty, which should give you an indication of the representative population there.

Just food for thought.

One with Google Fiber.

Fact.

I’m good with a Dope Fest! I live in Olathe, but that’s probably a little too 'burby for ya. I’ll second Parkville, though. Nice little town, about 20-30 minutes from Downtown, depending on traffic.