The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Home invasion defense: best weapon
hand gun 42 19.91%
sawed-off (or traditional) shotgun 75 35.55%
hunting rifle 0 0%
assault rifle 8 3.79%
Uzi (handheld machine gun) 5 2.37%
martial arts weapons (nunchucks, throwing stars, throwing knives, etc) 1 0.47%
hand-to-hand combat 4 1.90%
baseball bat 4 1.90%
bow and arrow 1 0.47%
kitchen knife 2 0.95%
heavy blunt object 3 1.42%
pepper spray / aerosol insect repellant 1 0.47%
booby traps 1 0.47%
scream 3 1.42%
pray 2 0.95%
call 911 17 8.06%
big dog 32 15.17%
other 4 1.90%
I would not defend my residence from home invasion. 6 2.84%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 AM

Home invasion defense: hand gun, sawed-off shotgun, Uzi, etc.?

If you home were to be invaded, which single weapon (below) would be your first choice?
Advertisements  
Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 AM

A big dog.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:11 AM

What, no hot doorknobs or swinging paint cans? Not very thorough if you ask me.

My go-to is a shotgun. I have a nice AR-15 on standby, should I need it, and the house is lousy with handguns. All with lights, so's ya don't shoot kids sneaking in late.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Hot doorknobs and swinging paint cans are excellent choices. I would think these might fall under the category of "booby traps," but I could be wrong.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
My go-to is a shotgun. I have a nice AR-15 on standby, should I need it, and the house is lousy with handguns. All with lights, so's ya don't shoot kids sneaking in late.
Yes, I have never understood why anyone would chose a hand gun over a shotgun for defense against home invasion, but I hope the responses to this thread will enlighten me.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 AM

m1 carbine or bullpup rifle. Light, short barrels, accesorizable (lasers, scopes), easy to swing around.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 AM

What I have right now for home protection is a baseball bat by my bed and a couple of well-sharpened chef's knives in the kitchen. I also have bars on my window and a solid metal door.

If I wanted to buy a firearm for home defense, I'd probably get a large caliber revolver. Shotguns aren't available here, and barring those, you can't beat a 0.44" in terms of intimidation value.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary Algar View Post
Yes, I have never understood why anyone would chose a hand gun over a shotgun for defense against home invasion, but I hope the responses to this thread will enlighten me.
Shorter (less likely to be grabbed), easier to use one-handed, typically a lot more capacity, easier & faster to reload. That's not to say a handgun is superior in all aspects to a shotgun but it does have advantages.

Legal questions aside, I'd take a small SMG in semi-auto. High capacity, short & light, stable & can be shouldered, sufficient range. It could be used in instinctive spray & pray or for well-aimed shots. This is presuming that by "home invasion" you don't mean defending a ranch and shooting across open fields or something similar.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 AM

I chose "other", as in "run". Trying to stand up to a bunch of armed criminals bursting into your home is almost certainly going to get you killed regardless of what you are armed with or how badass you think you are, unless you have a tank in your living room you can climb into.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 12-21-2012 at 05:43 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 AM
BANNED

Shotgun. You dont have to have a good & steady aim. However i do sleep with and ccw permit carry in my pocket a Keltec .380... You cant always have a 12 gauge shotgun within arms length.

Never understood any legit reason for owning an AR15. Those are great for keeping a small nations army at bay...or an entire group of Hells Angels from raping your daughters. i was at an indoor gun range with my Keltec, and the guy next to me had a fully automatic AR15 machine gun. Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, in addition to spitting out a lot of bullets per second, that thing was also a flame thrower....the muzzle flash went about 1/3rd the distance to the target, as well as going about 2 feet left and right.
I am looking at buying a few of them...for investment...its seems certain Obama will try to ban them. I heard one of his staff on XM radio, say they plan to buy back AR15s by offering a buy back price 1/3rd more than one costs new.
I have no issues with citizens owning AR15s....nothing in the constitution says one may only own guns used for hunting...completely baffled that Obama thinks otherwise.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 AM

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats pajamas View Post
A big dog.
Added dog at the request of the OP.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM
BANNED

I am amazed by those survivalists in Montana that say they own AR-15s to take on the US D of D....no AR15 will ever stop an F15 Eagle, Apache AH64 helicopter with its computerized night vision 30mm cannon with 2 mile range & Hellfire guided missiles, or A10 tank killer. You have the same odds of taking one these down with a Keltec or shotgun: zero

Last edited by cougar58; 12-21-2012 at 06:11 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Defence would be the absolutely last resort for me. First priority, flight while making as much noise as possible; second priority, compliance; third priority, striking with any heavy object that might be at hand. Not only my own life but also the life of the intruder are worth more than any possessions of mine.

Last edited by Mops; 12-21-2012 at 06:37 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I've spent more time practicing with a handgun and think I'd be better with it in a bad situation. A cop friend has taken me to an indoor range for "realistic" practice; low lights, target advancing, etc.

That said, I have a handgun in the nightstand drawer and 16 gauge pump under the bed. Very little chance I'll ever need either, but hey.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I think you're best off installing a very loud alarm horn that you can activate manually at one or more locations in your home. Most thieves are grab-and-go, not interested in a confrontation or any attention. Mash the button and get the fuck out of the house while the intruder is disoriented by the racket.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 AM

The only home invasions that I know of in my area have been by the police, looking for drugs. My neighbor's house was invaded, complete with battering ram and the whole family held at gun point, because someone told them the son was a dealer. A gun would be the worst possible thing to use in those situations. I can't imagine what would have happened if my neighbor had tried to defend his home - certainly nothing good.

When I lived in the country we had a shotgun and I was glad to have it a couple of times when a car load of strangers pulled up to the house. In those cases I had time to assess the potential danger and warn off the bible thumpers.

In a real home invasion I don't think I could assess the situation quickly and accurately enough to make the decision to fire until it was too late, so I don't believe a gun would work for me. I just couldn't pull the trigger. So my security team is my big dog who does not like strangers in the house. He keeps lookout, and will act as a non-lethal first line of defense against both criminals and police mistakes. In the extremely unlikely situation where he and I can't handle the problem I guess we are screwed but the wife knows the escape route.

Last edited by shiftless; 12-21-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 AM

Uh, where is the 'home alarm system' option?

Last time I checked, no one has ever been killed accidentally by a home alarm system, no one has been killed while cleaning a home alarm system, and no kid was ever killed by stumbling across a home alarm system.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 AM

The threat of being gang raped.

Quote:
Are you expecting to be home-invaded by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern ?

Last edited by msmith537; 12-21-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Handgun with Glaser safety bullets that won't penetrate walls. I don't want to kill a family member in another room. Safety bullets are still lethal to flesh. They are designed to break up if they hit sheetrock or wood.

We were taught in my carry class to never look for a intruder in the home. Find a place in the room to take a stand. Have the gun ready to fire. Let the bad guy come to you. You'll have the advantage because you're already in a kneeling position and ready to fire.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-21-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mops View Post
Defence would be the absolutely last resort for me. First priority, flight while making as much noise as possible; second priority, compliance; third priority, striking with any heavy object that might be at hand. Not only my own life but also the life of the intruder are worth more than any possessions of mine.
The only one I'm familiar with was a guy crawling into the car window and declaring, "I have a gun and I'm going to kill you."

I'd shoot him and live to feel guilty about it.

For a home invasion, a shotgun. I don't believe there would be much spread across a room, but at 25' number three goes through both sides of a steel trash can in a pattern about the size of a dinner plate.
I wouldn't be at my best in those circumstances, and would want every advantage possible.
Charter Member

Maybe the op could describe this "home invasion"? Is it one lost drunk stubbling into your house? Six fully armed thugs hell bent on stealing my Jack Russell collection? A thief, maybe a drug addict taking whatever he sees first?

I got a knife, think that will help?

handgun, preferably loaded with rounds using (reliably) frangible bullets. Why?

For one, I live in an apartment, so a rifle or slug gun is out because they look at plaster walls and go "OMG SRSLY?" as they punch right through. Some guy on Youtube did a demo of long gun rounds using multiple simulated walls (drywall/2x4.) Rifle bullets and shotgun slugs punched through all layers of it and went on their merry way.

second, the people who think a 12-gauge is great for home defense have probably never fired one. A short-barreled 12-gauge has brutal recoil and the muzzle blast is a sight to see. And hear, because you won't be hearing much for a while afterward.

and I hope you're not seriously asking if a handheld machine pistol (i.e. Uzi) would be appropriate. you'd put more rounds into the ceiling than what you were actually pointing at.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I said a handgun, but my reality is a doberman, 2 German shepherds, a standard poodle and a giant schnauzer.

StG
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
In a real home invasion I don't think I could assess the situation quickly and accurately enough to make the decision to fire until it was too late, so I don't believe a gun would work for me. I just couldn't pull the trigger. So my security team is my big dog who does not like strangers in the house. He keeps lookout, and will act as a non-lethal first line of defense against both criminals and police mistakes. In the extremely unlikely situation where he and I can't handle the problem I guess we are screwed but the wife knows the escape route.
Note that the cops will merrily shoot your dog, regardless of his size, breed, aggressive tendencies or lack thereof. He will later be described on the reports as "pit bull-type" and much will be made of how he aggressively bounded up, tail wagging.

Last edited by LawMonkey; 12-21-2012 at 10:00 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM
BANNED

Other: hypnosis and mind-control. I'll convert the criminal into a saint by the time they leave my residence.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQube View Post
Other: hypnosis and mind-control. I'll convert the criminal into a saint by the time they leave my residence.
That has possibilities...can you make him give you his ill gotten gain, too?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQube View Post
I'll convert the criminal into a saint by the time they leave my residence.
Eh, that just means he'll just have you eaten by bears or turned into a pillar of salt. Not really an improvement.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Eh, that just means he'll just have you eaten by bears or turned into a pillar of salt. Not really an improvement.
A minor nit pick.
The first was a Prophet, and the latter the Big Guy Himself.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM
BANNED

I meant saint in a metaphorical sense.

500 years from now I'll be the one laughing. Capital punishment? What inhumanity! We can make the criminal want to do good again.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I think you're best off installing a very loud alarm horn that you can activate manually at one or more locations in your home. Most thieves are grab-and-go, not interested in a confrontation or any attention. Mash the button and get the fuck out of the house while the intruder is disoriented by the racket.
I live in a second-story apartment. am I supposed to just jump out of the window?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonAsh View Post
Uh, where is the 'home alarm system' option?

Last time I checked, no one has ever been killed accidentally by a home alarm system, no one has been killed while cleaning a home alarm system, and no kid was ever killed by stumbling across a home alarm system.

That's great if you live in the city, where a police car is, by plan, within a given radial patrol distance / response time.

I live in the country, high up a hill, in a forest.

"When seconds count, police are just minutes away."
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Take anything you want. Me and the dog are out the bedroom window.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar58 View Post
I am amazed by those survivalists in Montana that say they own AR-15s to take on the US D of D....no AR15 will ever stop an F15 Eagle, Apache AH64 helicopter with its computerized night vision 30mm cannon with 2 mile range & Hellfire guided missiles, or A10 tank killer. You have the same odds of taking one these down with a Keltec or shotgun: zero
I know right? Who could think that a lightly armed group of civilians and military veterans could stand up to the US military? What do they think, it's possible to have a decade long war against a military force like that? Absurd!

Quote:
I chose "other", as in "run". Trying to stand up to a bunch of armed criminals bursting into your home is almost certainly going to get you killed regardless of what you are armed with or how badass you think you are, unless you have a tank in your living room you can climb into.
Running would be the best option if possible. Even if you are armed. As long as it is only property that is at risk. But sometimes running is not possible and most people have family to worry about as well.

I voted handgun. I am very well trained and have used them for years. Right now a rifle or shotgun would be impractical to store and I don't need that kind of firepower at home. I don't hunt and there are no rifle ranges anywhere close.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Handgun first, 911 if it's safe to do so.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My reasons for choosing a handgun rather than a shotgun:

It's easier to maneuver in the confines of a home.

It's easier to shoot (less recoil)

Shooting a handgun indoors is going to do less permanent damage to my hearing than shooting a shotgun indoors

It's easier for me to securely store (my handgun is in a small safe hidden out of sight under my bed; a shotgun would have to go in a big, obvious gun safe)

The handgun is a more multipurpose weapon for me - I can carry it (with the proper permit) and I can use it for target shooting (I'm not into skeet or trap shooting or hunting - at least not yet).

Contrary to Internet myth, a shotgun DOES have to be aimed when used for home defense, as the pattern spread is minimal at normal room distances. But that long barrel does make it easier to aim accurately, and it has more stopping power than a handgun. Rounds from either a handgun or a shotgun can penetrate walls, so neither weapon has a decisive advantage there.

It's all a matter of picking what fits your situation best.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I chose "other", as in "run". Trying to stand up to a bunch of armed criminals bursting into your home is almost certainly going to get you killed regardless of what you are armed with.
"Run" is a fantastic option when it's available. But sometimes that option's not there; my bedroom, for instance, is a room I can easily be trapped inside because it has only has one door and the windows are second story over a concrete patio. If criminals bust into my home and trapped me within my bedroom, I might have no choice but to fight, as going out those windows in a hurry is NOT an option. Hence my handgun.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 PM
born to be shunned

Shotgun and heavy bird shot --- say #6. Buck shoots through too much and I kinda like my neighbors.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Boiling oil and my trusty blunderbuss have always worked well.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Theoretically, a shotgun. Not sawed-off, because that's a felony unless you do everything legally. In reality, a pistol as the shotgun is plugged to two rounds for hunting and I'm too lazy to change it every time.

Recoil? 12 gauges have less, especially compared to Mosin-Nagant.

Hearing? I have fired handguns outdoors and shotguns (albeit only birdshot). The former is much louder.

Accuracy? IIRC shotguns are patterned to 40 yards. Even if you have cylinder choke (widest pattern), at indoors distances you still need to aim.

My walls are concrete and the pets are short, so my selection is not limited by penetrability as much.

Dog is little but vicious, but I'd think the type to greet strangers. Hard to round up 4 cats. I don't have a back door, escape would be jumping out the 2nd story window. Or climbing out the first floor, which is even harder, and would put me right next to the front door.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Well there is this http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0930121512.htm

Quote:
In a first-of its-kind study, epidemiologists at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine found that, on average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault. The study estimated that people with a gun were 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not possessing a gun.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I'm sure the bad guy will shoot you if he sees you with a gun, but as I said, in the only one I'm familiar with, the guy said, "I have a gun and I'm going to shoot you."
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I live in a second-story apartment. am I supposed to just jump out of the window?
Well, I did say "probably". In fact, I don't have such a system.

We have plans for most things. For home invasion at night, it's this (as we would quite likely hear someone trying to break in): wife jumps out of her side of bed, grabbing the cell phone as she goes, slams the bedroom door and plants herself on the floor in front of it. While she's dialing 911, I'm retrieving my handgun from the closet. Then we wait for the cops to show up. Everything is insured, so I don't give a shit what they steal. If he tries to come into the bedroom, he's dead. Bedroom window, ditto. I used to have a shotgun, but I really don't want to kill anybody. Maiming is so much more satisfying.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Well, I did say "probably". In fact, I don't have such a system.

We have plans for most things. For home invasion at night, it's this (as we would quite likely hear someone trying to break in): wife jumps out of her side of bed, grabbing the cell phone as she goes, slams the bedroom door and plants herself on the floor in front of it. While she's dialing 911, I'm retrieving my handgun from the closet. Then we wait for the cops to show up. Everything is insured, so I don't give a shit what they steal. If he tries to come into the bedroom, he's dead. Bedroom window, ditto. I used to have a shotgun, but I really don't want to kill anybody. Maiming is so much more satisfying.
Good plan, but is it a solid or hollow core door?

I put a dead blot on the hollow core stairway door and planned to blow the guy who might be after us away with the shotgun.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 PM

I said "big dog" because I have dogs. I have guns, too, but two barking pit bulls are more likely to keep someone from breaking in in the first place. Unless, of course the intruders have the foresight to bring meaty bones with them.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 PM

I also picked only "big dog."

Actually I have two big dogs: a Rottweiler and a black Lab. And, a small, very, very noisy dog when she thinks she has a reason to be: a Jack Russell terrier cross. I think it is entirely probable that any one of the three would happily welcome an unintended visitor right into the home...but as long as unintended visitors don't know that I am OK with it.

Between the three of them, no home defense needed. Nobody would even bother trying! And I live in an insanely high-crime area.

"Foaming wasp spray" aka insect repellent would be another of my choices.
Nothing against firearms for home defense; I've just never felt I needed to go that route personally.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Why isn't "hand grenades" an option?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Why isn't "hand grenades" an option?
Rough on the furniture.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Good plan, but is it a solid or hollow core door?

I put a dead blot on the hollow core stairway door and planned to blow the guy who might be after us away with the shotgun.
All the doors in this house are solid, and actually the deadbolt idea is a good one; very similar to the safe room concept in embassy housing overseas.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Rough on the furniture.
Feeble excuse.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Feeble excuse.
You obviously make more money than I.

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 2 seconds.