The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I lost my fire arm collection

I regret to relate this story:

I lost my entire outfit of firearms and ammunition out on the frozen lake. I thought it would make a nice set of pictures. I drug my entire collection (which wasn't much) of long guns, handguns, magazines, ammunition...pretty much everything I owned I think, out onto the ice. I schlepped them way out there, it was really tiring. I went back to the car to get my camera, and when I returned they were gone. What I thought was solid ice must not have been, there was water and broken ice where the equipment used to be.

I'm really bummed that I have to tell you all this, thanks for your support.

Last edited by Sigene; 01-10-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Uhm? Thank you for being a responsible gun owner?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM

A place where you had been standing, putting guns down, walking around, suddenly turned to mush while you were away for a few minutes? The middle of a lake seemed like an ideal place to take a picture of your guns?

Is this a parody of something?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 AM

Reminds me of a news story I just read about a young man who died playing Russian roulette with four friends.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

What a coincidence! Pretty much the same thing happened to all of my guns! Except mine were stolen by gypsies, who then escaped by boat. Which sank.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Wow, when Obama says executive action he means executive ACTION.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Is this a parody of something?
It's kind of a long standing joke among gun owners that if the goverment ever attempts to exert what they/we perceive as excessive control like gun registration, many of them/us will claim to have just had a most unfortunate accident like ferrying our guns across a lake when all of a sudden the boat capsized and we lost everything. Modify accident parameters as you see fit.

Sorry Mr. Government official, darn it but I no longer have anything to register.

Last edited by lieu; 01-10-2013 at 07:37 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
It's kind of a long standing joke among gun owners that if the goverment ever attempts to exert what they/we perceive as excessive control like gun registration, many of them/us will claim to have just had a most unfortunate accident like ferrying our guns across a lake when all of a sudden the boat capsized and we lost everything.

Sorry Mr. Government official, I no longer have anything to register.
Thanks, lieu, I was out of the loop. I must not own enough guns to qualify for the in jokes. I need to go scuba diving in Sigene's lake, I guess.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM

Me, I was skydiving over Lake Mead with every firearm I own when I tried to point them all downward and fire simultaneously to see if it would push me back up into the sky. Best I can figure something went inexplicably wrong.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM
See, I had a dog named Bubba
Charter Member

That's amazing cuz just the other day I was doing some under ice diving in a lake that was frozen over except for one spot............
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
I regret to relate this story:

I lost my entire outfit of firearms and ammunition out on the frozen lake. I thought it would make a nice set of pictures. I drug my entire collection (which wasn't much) of long guns, handguns, magazines, ammunition...pretty much everything I owned I think, out onto the ice. I schlepped them way out there, it was really tiring. I went back to the car to get my camera, and when I returned they were gone. What I thought was solid ice must not have been, there was water and broken ice where the equipment used to be.

I'm really bummed that I have to tell you all this, thanks for your support.
Good luck when you file that police report. You are going to file a police report about the lost weapons and the inadvertent dumping of hazardous material into the lake, right?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I must not own enough guns to qualify for the in jokes. I need to go scuba diving in Sigene's lake, I guess.
You know what's really cool? Spear guns!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Me, I was skydiving over Lake Mead with every firearm I own when I tried to point them all downward and fire simultaneously to see if it would push me back up into the sky. Best I can figure something went inexplicably wrong.
Another place to go diving!

For some reason this reminds me of something I heard on G. Gordon Liddy's radio show many years ago. In the middle of a bunch of calls about politics, someone called in with a question about some specific model of gun. Liddy very knowledgably and articulately answered the question, then said something close to: "Of course, as a convicted felon, I don't own any guns. Mrs. Liddy, on the other hand, has a fantastic collection."
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 AM

This is how I wish we had handled Regan's funeral: "well, we thought it would be nice to have one last photo of Ronnie in the outdoors, we put him on the lake and when we came back with the camera..."
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Liddy very knowledgably and articulately answered the question, then said something close to: "Of course, as a convicted felon, I don't own any guns. Mrs. Liddy, on the other hand, has a fantastic collection."
That kind of reminds me of Sons of Guns' Will Hayden and daughter Stephanie losing their FFL.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Good luck when you file that police report. You are going to file a police report about the lost weapons and the inadvertent dumping of hazardous material into the lake, right?
Hazardous how?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM

I suspect to trigger fish.

Last edited by lieu; 01-10-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh no! Were you killed in the accident?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Why kind of gun would you suggest for a muskellunge who wants to defend his family against outdoorsmen?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I suspect to trigger fish.
If they ban triggerfish, criminals would just use swordfish.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Obligatory XKCD essay.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
This is how I wish we had handled Regan's funeral: "well, we thought it would be nice to have one last photo of Ronnie in the outdoors, we put him on the lake and when we came back with the camera..."
Oh god, this made me giggle like mad and now all of my coworkers are looking at me like
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
The "Do you know why I pulled you over comic" has me giggling.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Hazardous how?
Hazardous because you just announced where a firearms could be found for the taking, and I'm also betting that there are laws against dumping trash in the lake. What's the law about reporting lost or stolen firearms in your state, btw?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Hazardous because you just announced where a firearms could be found for the taking, and I'm also betting that there are laws against dumping trash in the lake. What's the law about reporting lost or stolen firearms in your state, btw?
Now that we've got it narrowed down to "frozen lakes," I'll have those sunken guns recovered and in working order in no time!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You used the term "harzardous material" which has a specific meaning like he was dumping toxic waste. Not an object which would possibly be dangerous if someone happened to dive and find them before they rust into junk.

In New Jersey we have a statute:

Quote:
2C:58-19 Report of loss, theft of firearm within 36 hours; violations, penalties.

1.The legal owner of a firearm, upon discovering that the firearm is lost or stolen, shall report the loss or theft within 36 hours to the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the loss or theft occurred or, if the municipality does not have a local police force, to the Superintendent of State Police.

A person who violates the provisions of this section shall be liable to a civil penalty of not less than $500 for a first offense, and not less than $1,000 for any second or subsequent offense. The civil penalty shall be collected pursuant to the "Penalty Enforcement Law of 1999," P.L.1999, c.274 (C.2A:58-10 et seq.).
As far as I know we are only one of 7 states which have such a law. We also have some of the toughest gun laws in the country.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM

Sorry to hear that, buddy. Something similar happened to me back in late November, 2008. Tragic boating accident.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
It's kind of a long standing joke among gun owners...
So we've been feeling sorry for you, but you were making a joke? Which, if I owned more guns, or hung out with paranoid gun collectors, I would've gotten?

I'm asking the OP seriously, were you joking?

Last edited by digs; 01-10-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Oh no! Were you killed in the accident?
Why yes, as a matter of fact I was, Mr. IRS Collector.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
So we've been feeling sorry for you, but you were making a joke? Which, if I owned more guns, or hung out with paranoid gun collectors, I would've gotten?

I'm asking the OP seriously, were you joking?
It's a blatantly obvious joke, and one that has been used in multiple threads on this very board by several people, including me.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm assuming this is a joke. But it points out the disgusting hypocrisy of gun owners. They wave the flag and say they love America, but they pick and chose which of the laws they will obey. If guns were outlawed, they would commit fraud rather than obey the laws of the country they love so much. How nice that they themselves become the arbitrator of which laws are just and should be followed.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 AM

It also shows how much they let fear run their lives: fear of others and fear of nonexistent government programs to steal their guns.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

It also points out the hypocrisy of the claim that any gun control laws would have no effect on criminals owning guns because they wouldn't obey the laws. Virtually every gun ever owned by a criminal was a legally-owned gun at some point. And it crossed over to becoming a criminally-owned gun by subterfuges like the OP described - somebody "loses" a gun and it ends up in criminal hands.

Regular law-abiding gun owners should realize it's criminals and the people who aid these criminals that are driving the push for gun control. But instead of leading the charge to crack down on these people, too many legitimate gun owners just give them a knowing wink.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I particularly cherish the argument (straight-faced!) that they have to own guns in order to prevent the government from taking them away.

That's even better than calling the democratic process "tyranny".
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM

The mere notion of the government going to such extreme measures is ridiculous, hence the inclination to mocking point your finger and joke. That said, personally, I'd still have no problem whatsoever with registering all my guns and complying with whatever laws the government deems necessary should I wish to sell them. I don't see it as much different from buying a hunting license each year, following all the conservation laws and principals, etc. Doesn't mean I can't smile about folks wanting to hang onto cool shit they own. That's amusing, just like broad based accusations made by the willfully ignorant. Every gun owner is disgustingly hypocritical and motivated by fear? Jeez fella, try another weapon because rationality ain't working for ya.

Don't let me stop y'all from taking a big shit on a light hearted thread though.

Last edited by lieu; 01-10-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM

The problem is that the irrational gun owners outnumber the rational ones by 100 to 1.

You have Alex Jones screaming red faced that there will be another 1776 if the government comes for guns. Really? Guns mean so much that you will rise up and destroy the country you love so much?

The gun-owner facebook friends I have all post similar things about anyone who supports additional gun regulations is essentially a moron.

So where are the rational gun owners who recognize that there are ways to make guns safer? Why aren't they coming up with rational arguments? The only things I'm hearing from the gun owners is that any regulation is a violation of their rights and they'll fight it every step of the way.

As a contrast, I drink alcohol but I support more alcohol regulations. I understand people have problems with alcohol and I want to make it easier for them not to be tempted. I want hard liquor to only be sold in liquor stores--not in grocery and convenience stores. I want beer and wine sold in grocery stores, but in a separate area so it's not right in the middle of the store. All of these things would mean it's harder for responsible drinkers to get alcohol, including me, but I support it because it would overall reduce problems with alcohol.

Why are there seemingly no vocal gun owners who support increased gun control?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
The problem is that the irrational gun owners outnumber the rational ones by 100 to 1.
What bullshit.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming this is a joke. But it points out the disgusting hypocrisy of gun owners. They wave the flag and say they love America, but they pick and chose which of the laws they will obey. If guns were outlawed, they would commit fraud rather than obey the laws of the country they love so much. How nice that they themselves become the arbitrator of which laws are just and should be followed.
There's also the argument that mature, responsible adults should be allowed to own guns, and they apparently think they can demonstrate how mature and responsible they are by telling a bald-faced lie about utter carelessness.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
a bald-faced lie about utter carelessness.
Is this how you are categorizing the OP? Even though it has been explained that it's a joke?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
What a coincidence! Pretty much the same thing happened to all of my guns! Except mine were stolen by gypsies, who then escaped by boat. Which sank.
I'm not a gun owner myself, but A FRIEND OF MINE left all his guns in his car with all the doors open, and they were stolen.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
They wave the flag and say they love America, but they pick and chose which of the laws they will obey.
I've never waved a flag in my life (except for the Beer-Thirty flag) and I've always picked and chosen the laws I obey. So do you, or have you never sped in a car in your life?

Hypocrite.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Are all these incompetent klutzes that are losing weapons right and left the same patriots that I am supposed to depend on when the Commies take over and the gun confiscations begin?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Are all these incompetent klutzes that are losing weapons right and left the same patriots that I am supposed to depend on when the Commies take over and the gun confiscations begin?
Yep. They will miraculously find their guns, at least the ones I haven't found first on scuba diving trips to random lakes.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It also points out the hypocrisy of the claim that any gun control laws would have no effect on criminals owning guns because they wouldn't obey the laws.
It also has a whiff of the "magic words" thinking that's that hallmark of so many anti-government conspiracy nuts: "If I announce that I'm a sovereign citizen in a naval court and print my name all in capital letters on my certified letter to myself, then I don't have to pay any taxes!"

If the government ever does come for your bang-bangs, the cops won't give a crap about your made-up stories about how you lost your gun collection. In fact, it's a red flag that you're hiding weapons.

Last edited by The Hamster King; 01-10-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

So where are the rational gun owners who recognize that there are ways to make guns safer? Why aren't they coming up with rational arguments? The only things I'm hearing from the gun owners is that any regulation is a violation of their rights and they'll fight it every step of the way.

Why are there seemingly no vocal gun owners who support increased gun control?
I don't agree with your numbers but I agree with the general principle.

I feel the majority of gun owners are rational responsible people. And as such they should be the first people going after the irrational irresponsible gun owners who give guns a bad reputation. They should be creating a clear distinction in the public mind between good responsible gun ownership and bad irresponsible gun ownership.

Instead, responsible gun owners have been duped by extremists with the argument that all gun owners - good and bad - need to make common cause. The result is the responsible gun owners end up getting lumped in with the irresponsible gun owners in the public mind. To use the cliche, they're seen as part of the problem instead of part of the solution.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamster King View Post
If the government ever does come for your bang-bangs...
I think you all know that I'm a Socialist Liberal; but even so, I do enjoy firearms. Go figure. I would not like my collection to be confiscated. But if the government paid fair-market value, based on the highest prevailing price before a ban went into effect, I would have little problem complying with the law. Just the Evil Black Guns would put a nice downpayment on that airplane I've always wanted. (Of course, there's no way they could comply with the 5th Amendment. It would be way too expensive.)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Their point is the constitution trumps local laws. A constitutional right trumps regulations.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Where are the rational gun owners jumping on Sigene for posting an insensitive comment even though the graves of those children still have fresh dirt? Where are the rational gun owners who say they'll give up some of their conveniences so that gun violence is limited?

I support private gun ownership, but I think it should be done knowing that guns can kill people if they fall into the wrong hands. The right to own a gun doesn't mean that it can't be registered and made harder to purchase. We'll never be able to get rid of gun violence. However, there are steps that could be taken to reduce it. For example:

- Strict gun registration. A fully computerized trail of ownership. (Right now the feds are prohibited from computerizing registrations) When a gun is transferred to a new owner, both parties need to register the transfer. Either party not registering the transfer should be a serious crime. Ownership of an unregistered gun should be a serious crime. This would allow the police to quickly trace the ownership of a gun used in a crime, but gun owners cry it's inconvenient and it's only so the gov't can take their guns.

- Mandatory waiting period. Only one gun purchased at a time. A waiting period between gun purchases. If you need a gun immediately, you can fast-path the process by following some procedure at the police station. This way a guy who snaps cannot amass an arsenal quickly, but gun owners cry it's inconvenient.

- Max clip size of 6 in a gun. It will slow down the crazy guy, but gun owners cry it's inconvenient to reload.

- Stored guns must be secured. It would be a crime to have an unsecured gun in your home. This would make it harder for burglars or unstable family members access to the guns, but gun owners say it would slow them down if an intruder breaks in.

I think background checks are only useful to keep guns out of the hands of convicted criminals. It does nothing to keep them away from that quiet loner at State College who snaps one day.

I want to hear ideas from rational gun owners who understand the object they love can be used for great harm and that they're willing to find a solution which allows them to keep their guns and minimizes the harm they could cause. Instead, all I'm hearing from gun owners is that anyone who doesn't own a gun is a sissy, anyone who supports stronger gun regulations is a liberal pacifist, and that if the government tries to register their guns they're going to take them on a frozen lake with thin ice to take one last picture of them.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's kind of a long standing joke among gun owners that if the goverment ever attempts to exert what they/we perceive as excessive control like gun registration, many of them/us will claim to have just had a most unfortunate accident like ferrying our guns across a lake when all of a sudden the boat capsized and we lost everything.
Thus making a truism of the adage, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Great, now you've armed fish.