Did the Romans really build (the beginnings of) the London sewer system?

In Terry Pratchett’s latest novel, Dodger, it is frequently mentioned that London’s sewers extant in the early 19th Century were dug/built originally by the Romans, an assumption which no character in the story, not even Joseph Bazalgette, contradicts. I’m sure Roman Londinium must have had modern-for-their-time underground sewers, just because that was a Roman thing, but could they really have lasted that long?

This seems to indicate that whatever the Romans built in the way of infrastructure was pretty much abandoned or neglected over time and certainly would not have still been in service by the 1700’s or 1800’s.

More here

There are a small number of drains here in York which are still in the same place as their Roman counterparts, and occasionally include Roman brickwork; you can see a section of Roman drain under the Minster, still with flowing water. I don’t suppose that London’s oldest drains are much different.

If a drain is carrying water you still have to make sure it is connected to the drainage system, no matter how old it is. So I’m not surprised that some bits of the Roman drainage system are still in use. Here’s a huge drain in Bath still working;
http://jonathan.rawle.org/gallery/bath/roman-drain/

The footprint of Roman London was obv. tiny - a snapshot: Ludgate to Aldergate to Bishopsgate to Aldgate. Perhaps one mile by half a mile.

I guess sewers followed roads, and once roads are built property fits around - so generations of sewers would naturally follow the path of the original along roads.

I’m sure it’s the same in Athens or Rome, even Paris.

FWIW, Pratchett writes in the afterword to Dodger:

I remember (okay, I THINK I remember) reading that the Roman sewers in any Roman city were open ditches. Not exactly the cleanest environment, but it was better than the tradition of simply tossing slops out the windows of upper story rooms.

Such ditches for sewer were called “cloaca.”

This word has since been appropriated by biology to name the non-specific external opening of lower animals which served as the terminus for urinary and digestive tracts, and also functioned for reproductive purposes.
~VOW

And the biggest one was called the Cloaca Maxima. Started off open then closed over. Based on the pic of the outfall, doesn’t look like it’s even used for rain runoff anymore.

In any decent sized Roman city with good water service (aquaducts and such), they’d have been closed over at some point.

Don’t know about Roman times but London has a bunch of former streams (which doubled as sewers) that are now lost under the streets.

The Fleet was one of the last rivers to be enclosed, from 1730 to 1870, according to this page.

In certain London Underground stations you can see these encapsulated rivers flowing overhead in Victorian cast-iron tubes. Bazalgette would have been involved in this sort of work, I’m sure.