The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM

"Veteran Moves" at Restaurants

A few days ago I was at subway with a friend. He ordered first and then when my turn came, I ordered a sub combo but replaced my chips with a bowl of soup. He looked at me with respect and almost a little bit of awe and said "Whoa, nice man. Veteran move! Not just anyone can make that play"

I admit, I do tend to know my way around a fast food restaurant. What are some other good moves at restaurants that you've pulled off that not a lot of people know are options? Doesn't have to just be fast food. I think my second best play is ordering a McDouble off the dollar menu and getting mac sauce put on it.
Advertisements  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM
There are no absolutes.
Charter Member

I'm not trying to brag, but... at Starbucks, I sometimes ask for a cup of ice water with my coffee, and they give it to me for free. Slick as shit, man. I'm telling you. I just got the moves. Not everyone can pull that off. Some people don't believe me when I tell them that, but when I take them into Starbucks, they're like "You're the master, man."

I'd tell you how it's done, but I don't want everyone doing it. Got to keep some secrets for myself.

EDIT: I've successfully gotten real fancy, high-falutin' sit-down-type restaurants to give me free ice water, too. It's easier than you might think. Sometime I've even scored free loaves of bread without even asking. I make it look easy.

Last edited by Absolute; 01-30-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 PM

A little bit of awe? I think you're underestimating his level of shocked admiration because I would have been floored by your savvy!

Soup, not chips! Who could believe it?!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Member

I was at Chic-Fil-A the other day and ordered a number 4, and she could tell right away what kind of guy I was so she said, "monterey jack cheese, right?" and I smiled and said "yup!"

Talk about smooth.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM

I was in an Italian restaurant once, with the hot young waitress flirting with me shamelessly. Though in latish middle-age I showed her some of my charm. When I ordered a beer, she asked me if I'd like a straw with it -- I doubt she makes the same offer to other customers -- and I knew she was signalling that she appreciated my youthful ways.

I took pity on the envious lusting young guys, and didn't ask for her phone number.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 AM

I used to go to Popeye's and ask what special they had going on for a box-o-chicken, and they would give me the current coupon special without making me turn in a coupon. And no extra charge for all dark meat. That's not even on the menu, man.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 AM

I regularly use fast food coupons (they come in the mail and are usually good for a month) at drive-through windows without relinquishing the coupons and then use them again. And the ones that say "Cannot be combined with any other coupon or offer"- No, you can use a separate coupon for every piece of food.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

I sometimes have sushi rolls for lunch. I'm totally down with the prices they charge and I can use techniques I learned decades ago from ancient masters to combine the prices into a single figure. I work out that figure and when I get to the cashier I just whip out the coins required, hand them off and walk. Don't even need to be told the price, or wait for change. I am like the wind.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 AM

I used to have this thing I did at pizza restaurants where I'd get different toppings on each side of the pizza. So if one person likes sausage and mushroom, and the other really doesn't, you can still split a large instead of getting two smalls.

You know they wouldn't do that for just anybody.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM

You can get a "Home Run" at Wendy's (4 patties) if you ask.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Mcdonald's used to have an All American Meal that they didn't advertise: regular cheeseburger, small fries, small drink. Don't know if they still do that as I am hooked on Filet 'O Fish these days.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I don't go to fast food places.
However, if I ask the bartender for extra olives in my martini I am never charged for them and sometimes get enough to be an appetizer all on thier own!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM

At a local Chinese restaurant, I order the eggplant special with tofu (the menu offers chicken, beef, or pork). A new cashier will run to the kitchen to see if it is ok. The owner will yell out, "Hey, kayaker!".
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
I used to go to Popeye's and ask what special they had going on for a box-o-chicken, and they would give me the current coupon special without making me turn in a coupon. And no extra charge for all dark meat. That's not even on the menu, man.
There's a lot of snark in this thread, but you can go to Popeyes/KFC about 1-5 minutes before closing and ask them if they have any "late night offers". Many times you can get extra chicken as they're just going to throw it out anyway.

In the spirit of the thread, I was a regular at a Mexican place in Knoxville, so much so that I didn't have to order my drink... the waitress just knew.

Be assured that I used this power only for good and did not gloat at the obvious stares of envy from all the other customers.

In addition, a lot of times I'll ask for a booth and get one - four, FOUR spaces all for me! MWAHAHAHAHA! (That power I use for evil, sorry.)

Last edited by JohnT; 01-31-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Devout Christian Louboutin

Since this is really about The Fine Dining Experience, I think I'll move it to Cafe Society.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphant View Post
A few days ago I was at subway with a friend. He ordered first and then when my turn came, I ordered a sub combo but replaced my chips with a bowl of soup. He looked at me with respect and almost a little bit of awe and said "Whoa, nice man. Veteran move! Not just anyone can make that play"
Holy shit. You... you did WHAT? Asked for a substitution? At a restaurant? My friend, truly you are nature's greatest miracle.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhomer View Post
Holy shit. You... you did WHAT? Asked for a substitution? At a restaurant? My friend, truly you are nature's greatest miracle.
Meh. I've asked for and received plenty of menu substitutions at restaurants.

I'm kidding, of course. You're amazing, OP!!!! I wish I knew "my way around a fast food restaurant"!!!!!!

mmm
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Mcdonald's used to have an All American Meal that they didn't advertise: regular cheeseburger, small fries, small drink. Don't know if they still do that as I am hooked on Filet 'O Fish these days.
I used to get that too, but because they liked me so much, they also gave me a fun toy and put it in a cool box with an "M"-shaped handle.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Meh. I've asked for and received plenty of menu substitutions at restaurants.
I'm sure you're a go-getter.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Get this.

Went to a restaurant because they had a coupon where I could buy a combo - fries, burger, and soda. The coupon said, very seriously and in all-caps: NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

I asked for a tea... and got it!

BOO-YA! Take that, mo-fos!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM

Despite having never lived closer than 750 miles from an In and Out Burgers, I was able to work the Secret and SuperSecret menus like a boss, the last time we were in Las Vegas.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I use this thing called the "crinkle and twinkle" with my eyes. I used to get chicks with it, but now I've struck pure gold with restaurant waitstaff. You wouldn't believe how much free bread I get. Sometimes they even ask if I want MORE!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I often order the 6-nugget kids meal from Chik-fil-A for lunch. You can turn in your toy and get a small ice cream.

StG
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Now why'd you have to go an mention Filet-o-Fishes? Now I desperately want one. Dammit.

My son worked at a McDonald's - and you know what? He told me that they'll drop fresh fries for you if you ask them to. No more half cold half dead fries for ME!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM

I used to go to Subway when they had those stamp cards and they would give me not 1 or 2 stamps, but dozens!!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I frequently order a SHORT drink at Starbucks . . . and have them put it in my grande-size travel cup. Five-cent discount, bitches!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM
IMHOtep the Justifed

This whole thread smacks of the Starbucks crowd's fetish for faux hipsterism and exclusivity. Every time I see or hear some SB'er use thirty-five words to order an item, it reminds me of the first diner scene in "When Harry Met Sally" and I have the irrepressible urge to mumble, "Number three, thanks."

Which would be coffee, black, in a cup.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
I used to go to Subway when they had those stamp cards and they would give me not 1 or 2 stamps, but dozens!!

IIRC, it was like 6 stamps (maybe 12) for one free foot-long. Why would they "give you" dozens?

Unless I'm thinking of a different Subway stamp program...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
At a local Chinese restaurant, I order the eggplant special with tofu (the menu offers chicken, beef, or pork). A new cashier will run to the kitchen to see if it is ok. The owner will yell out, "Hey, kayaker!".
I do that here at our little local chinese place. I love General Tso's Tofu. Near as I can figure I am the only person who eats tofu in my town, I have seen them have to run out to the grocery next door to get a brick of tofu I also get it where it is half broccoli instead of a few decorative florettes and brown rice
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
BANNED

This one time I asked him for water, he gave me gasoline.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:

IIRC, it was like 6 stamps (maybe 12) for one free foot-long. Why would they "give you" dozens?

Unless I'm thinking of a different Subway stamp program...
You do know you can have more than one stamp card at a time right?

Plus I knew most of the people that worked there and they would just spin the little wheel on the stamp dispenser a couple of times and give me how ever many stamps came out.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM

I can top all this. There have been times when a server pointed me towards one table...and I asked if a different one was available...and they said "Yes!".

Who knew that you could request a booth instead of a table or a table near the window or something?

Clearly, I am so smooth you could spread me on toast.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
There's a lot of snark in this thread, but you can go to Popeyes/KFC about 1-5 minutes before closing and ask them if they have any "late night offers". Many times you can get extra chicken as they're just going to throw it out anyway.
Better yet, go a few minutes after closing and wait outside by the dumpster.

You may not be able to look at yourself in the mirror the next morning, but hey. Free chicken, bro. Can't put a price on that shit.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Plus I knew most of the people that worked there and they would just spin the little wheel on the stamp dispenser a couple of times and give me how ever many stamps came out.
Thank you. This isn't a "Veteran Move," or anything other than pilferage by your friend. Not that I was any different as a kid working at 7-11. Just wanted to coax the truth out of you.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM

Whenever I go into a restaurant, I don't even have to tell them what I want. I just stare at them and they telepathically know it.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Now why'd you have to go an mention Filet-o-Fishes? Now I desperately want one. Dammit.

My son worked at a McDonald's - and you know what? He told me that they'll drop fresh fries for you if you ask them to. No more half cold half dead fries for ME!
I worked at McDonalds as a wee lad and can confirm the above. Also you can ask for no salt on your fries and you'll get a fresh batch as well. Most people like the salt so the frie person automatically salts every batch.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
BANNED

I knew most of the people that worked there and they would just spin the little wheel on the stamp dispenser a couple of times and give me how ever many stamps came out.

I see hrhomer beat me to it. It is actually more than pilferage by his friend, by accepting the extra "stamps", the poster conspired with the thieving employees to steal from the restaurant.

I was different from this. Before I was old enough to have a job (and my first job was as an office boy at a local newspaper making 33 cents an hour at age 11) I knew it was wrong to steal.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 PM

I'm a freakin' restaurant ninja.

I was once in a place for breakfast, and ordered a decaf. Since they only have one coffee pot in the place, they usually never have it. But that morning the waitress left the place, went next door to the bodega, bought a can of decaf, came back, and brewed a pot just for me.

More recently, I took my GF to a lounge where we could sit on a couch and snuggle while we ate. But there was a lamp above us that must have been putting out a billion watts. It was like that episode of Star Trek, Dagger of the Mind. And it put way too much attention on us. We flouted the conventions of polite society, and turned it off. We got thanked by a lot of people.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 PM
BANNED

"Also you can ask for no salt on your fries and you'll get a fresh batch as well. Most people like the salt so the frie person automatically salts every batch"

In the wayback, when I would go to fast fooderies, I had a friend who would do this (also ask for his burgers plain so they would be fresh made.)

Really kind of defeated the purpose of fast food as we would wait and wait for the food to be prepared fresh. The rest of us in the crowd found him to be as big a pain as the workers no doubt did.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM

Arby's, before they added all their "market fresh" stuff, had something called an "Arby-Q". Now, it's not listed on the menu anymore. But with my Obi-Wan-like powers of persuasion, I can walk in, look the person behind the cash register straight in the eye and say, "An Arby-Q, please" and they make it for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM

At Max and Erma's, they have peach flavored tea, they have watermelon leomade. I get watermelon tea. I'm just that cool.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM

One time at a sit-down restaurant, I invented and ordered a concoction composed of 50% iced tea and 50% cranberry juice. They complied with my request. It was so good, it didn't need a special name like Arnold Palmer for iced tea & lemonade.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Same was true for KFC back when it was Kentucky Fried Chicken, and a bucket didn't cost $30. We'd hit them in the last fifteen minutes and they'd usually offer to load up the order if we wanted it.

Now, I suspect their late-shift portion controls are a lot tighter, since chicken appears to be made of precious metals or something.

(Can NOT believe how expensive fried chicken has gotten - like Taco Bell, it used to be the cheap fast food option.)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM

In my case, there have been times when we have obviously impressed the waitstaff and possibly even owners because we received MINI MINT CHOCOLATE BARS with our check. It was freaking unreal.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Whenever I go into a restaurant, I don't even have to tell them what I want. I just stare at them and they telepathically know it.
You have to stare? Amateur.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM

I often get Iced Tea with my dinner, and sometimes I'll just go ahead and drink as much as I want even before the food gets there. I'll then make casual eye contact with my waitress... glance down at my empty tea glass... look back and give her that "care to hook a playa up?" look and before I know it she is there either with a brand new glass of tea, or sometimes she sneaks a whole pitcher over and tops me off. A few times I've even scored THREE FREE Iced Teas in one meal!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

I once went out with friends to this expensive restaurant, and as I drove up, there was no parking lot. My friend said "just drive up to the door, they'll take care of the car." Well, they gave me a ticket and said to give it to them after dinner and they'd bring my car back.

I did that and sure enough, a guy drove my car right up to us and opened the doors for us! The dude was so impressed that he came up to me and laid out his palm for me to give him some skin! I slapped his palm and said "thanks, dude, I'll definitely be back!" It was like I was his best friend! He really must have liked my sweet 1986 280Z. I recommend you all take your sweet rides there as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM
BANNED

I'm so well known at my local T.G.I. Fridays they let me eat there on a Tuesday afternoon. Welcome to the goodie room!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM

I know several places around here where I can walk in and tell them what I want to eat, and they'll just COOK IT FOR ME AND GIVE IT TO ME!! All I have to do is give them a few bucks for their time and ingredients! Talk about a time-saver!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Shit, y'all are posers.
When I eat they take the plates and wash 'em for me when I'm done.
No trips back to the kitchen for this playa'.
Smoke THAT bitches!