Are milk and cheese really full of pus cells?

I heard someone say last night that you shouldn’t eat cheese because it’s “full of pus.” A bit of googling indicates that this is a common vegan/anti-milk talking point. For example:

That’s not the only source for the info, but it’s chock full of numbers, so it’s gotta be true. Maybe.

So, what’s the story? Are we sucking down gallons of cow pus every year — and if so, why does it taste so good melted on nachos?

can you define what a pus cell is?

I wouldn’t be surprised that foods contain cells.

Why is pretty much everything on this posted by anti-dairy people and sites?

That would seem to be the answer in itself.

Pus contains, among other things, leukocytes. So presumably a “pus cell” is a white blood cell.

No, I can’t really define “pus cell.” (I probably should’ve just left the subject at “pus.”) This isn’t my sneaky way of trying to persuade people to ditch their cheese, because I love cheese.

The story sounds totally hinky to me, but not in some concrete way, which is why I’m bringing it to the board.

Google tells me human cells are roughly 1/250mm across; so 1 cubic mm holds 15.6 million cells; 450M cells would be 26 mm^3, about an inch by an inch by a millimetre. (including a boatload of assumptions, that cow cells are about the sam). 26 parts per million of that contaminant.

Actually, if this is the upper limit, probably from really sick cows, then I suspect the typical value is a lot lower.

Considering what is pus - dead white blood cells - I would hope that the white blood cells in milk would be dead after the mandatory pasteurization. The question is whether they died from the treatment process or from close encounters of the bacterial kind during the milk generation process?

Milk contains white blood cells, there’s nothing harmful about that. From what I understadn though that if the milk becomes contaminated by bacteria close to source the number of white blood cells will increase, so the number of white blood cells in milk is a fairly reliable indicator to bacterial contamination, not that the white blood cells themselves are harmful (possibly the opposite, but IDK).

Of course, the first problem is that there isn’t anything that’s properly called a “pus cell.” The term is used to refer to disease-fighting leukocytes (white blood cells). Pus contains both fluid and dead leukocytes.

The FDA has a standard for how many somatic cells, mainly leukocytes, may be contained in milk, since there is a correlation between this count and the level of infection in a cow. Somatic Cell Count. But calling this an “allowance for pus cells” is just propaganda. Calling anything that contains dead leukocytes “full of pus” means that most animal products would qualify. Of course, a slice of cheese or a spoonful of yogurt contains far more bacterial cells than leukocytes, so you could also say they are full of bacteria.

Looks to me like an exaggeration of the facts: Somatic cell count - Wikipedia

First off, what exactly is a "pus cell’? That alone should let you know that there’s something bogus about it.

Anyway, the numbers they’re on aboutare about on if you’re counting all Somatic Cells, but they’re not exactly the same as “pus cells”. Basically, most of that is white blood cells and they count them to determine if there’s any pathogens in the milk. The idea of not allowing too many is just that, if there are, then it means the cow may have a disease.

Second, it’s coming from an animal, there’s going to be gross sounding stuff in it, especially if it’s being presented with bias. I’m sure some milk has some amount of pus and blood and other stuff in it. But the only things I can find on any of that sort of stuff is assertions without any cites and I’d guess it just gets passed on because of confirmation bias.

And the maximum allowable somatic cell count level is 750 000 cells per mL, so at least they didn’t pull the number from their posteriors:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/MilkSafety/NationalConferenceonInterstateMilkShipmentsNCIMSModelDocuments/UCM209789.pdf

Actually a percentage of ‘pus’ is the bacteria that caused the infection, so since most cheeses have bacterial cultures (although not the same ones that cause pyogenic abcesses) maybe that’s where there getting this information.

The only other thing I could think of would be mastitis in the cow giving the milk, but in the US all milk is pasteurized before being made into cheese, so it is unlikely there are any live organisms.

Right. “750 million cells” is the point at which the FDA will reject something. This does not equal “all milk contains 750 million pus cells per liter”.

And if that squicks you out, you’d best just stop eating, period, right now, because there’s a whole lot of stuff a whole lot more revolting than pus cells, whatever that is, that the FDA considers “no health hazard for humans”.

You can read all about it in the FDA’s Defect Levels Handbook. It’s great meal-time reading.

Well, here’s the take on the subjet from the “not milkman”

Here’s a short quiz about the standards that will help people think about the kinds of non-food items that are present in their food.

Note that this is a pretty old quiz, so the standards may have changed since then (but I bet they haven’t been lowered to zero).

But organic food is 100% free of anything you might find disgusting, right? Right?

Good thing the milk I get says “From cows not treated with growth hormones” (but with a footnote that there is no difference according to the FDA).

Also,as far as those hormones go, untreated milk has hormones in it too, notably insulin-like growth factor, which is indeed harmful, causing cancer among other things (when injected), but it isn’t absorbed by the body when ingested (note also that bovine IGF-1 is identical to human IGF-1, so you aren’t ingesting anything foreign either way):

But a few insect parts are better than pesticides and other toxic chemicals. Well, OK, a lot more than a “few” insect parts, from DCnDC’s link (this one stands out because of the number, but many others are up to the several hundred range, if for generally larger portions):

No mention of organic either. I also imagine this is a big dilemma for a vegetarian or especially vegan, presumably why so many say that insects aren’t animals.

oops, GQ. Respectfully withdrawn!

The bacterium is staphilococcus, right?

I’m curious about this statement. Is the point to show that vegan/vegetarian people are hypocrites, and since they can’t avoid eating all animals, any attempt to eat fewer is stupid?

I swear, for as much as the stereotype is that vegans/vegetarians are “'militant” and push their beliefs on everyone, I encounter way more asshole meat eaters who salivate at the thought of pointing out inconsistencies in their diet choices.