I got trapped in quicksand!

Well, I’m not sure if “quicksand” actually exists. Whatever, it worked like the popular conception of quicksand. I sunk in several feet, and struggling just made me sink deeper. What ever happened to quicksand anyway? Back in the 80s, every third movie had a quicksand scene.

So anyway, I was planning to do a photography trip day. You get the best pictures at dawn, especially in the desert. Weather report said it’d be partly cloudly, but when I got up at 4am it’d been upgraded to “cloudy”. Hmm, well, depending on what kind of clouds, it might not be so bad, and I already got up, so what the hell.

So I get out there, worst photography day ever. Vegas experiences like, 8 really overcast gloomy days a year, if that, and this was one of them. No golden morning sunlight, several layers of clouds just diffusing and sucking the life out of everything. Awful, a waste. Oh well, I’m already out there, so I guess I’ll turn it into a scouting day, explore everything and come back on a better day.

So I end up exploring there and all around Lake Mead. I follow some random gravel path off Lake Mead Blvd. for like a mile or two and end up at some weird little peninsula vaguely beach-like protusion into the water. It’s actually kind of nice - at least by “holy shit there’s some water in the desert” standard, so I was hanging around.

Some ducks and seagulls flying around, so I was moving around a bit to take some pictures, walking along the shoreline. There’s actually some real sand, along with some rocky parts. I take a step and my right foot sinks in about a foot. My momentum carries me forward and I fall and catch myself with my left leg, which sinks in a little above knee level. I try to pull myself out - won’t budge, except that struggling actually seems to make it worse. My left ankle is twisted under there, which makes it even more of an anchor. I also had just spent the whole day climbing rocks and hiking through sand and I’m not at all in the shape to do that stuff, so I was already pretty heavily worn out and somewhat dehydrated by this time.

Welp, this sucks. No one is around - this is some weird gravel road in the middle of nowhere, just saw one RV down the road and they were probably cooking meth. Maybe they’d somehow stumble onto me, but they’d probably try to rape me. I’m a very tempting rape target. So there’s no one around to help and I am quite thoroughly stuck.

There’s some really weird pile of some sort of growing pit of white goo next to me, I should mention. I have no idea wtf it is execpt that it’s definitely some sort of horrible. About 3 feet away from my left leg. It might try to eat me.

On the plus side, I stopped sinking when I stopped moving. I was able to turn around just enough to get my ass on a rock, and from there I could pull my right foot out. Left one wouldn’t budge. I couldn’t plan the right leg to try to help free the left one, cause there was no solid ground under it, it would just sink again.

The birds I was following to take pictures of are now circling above my head, waiting for my inevitable death to eat me.

The absurdity of my situation hit me, I was legitimately stuck. Cracked me up.

But since I was stable enough with my ass on a rock, I was able to start digging. Had to dig a pit to get free.

I had my camera in my hand when I sunk in, so it got gunked up a decent bit. I realized I should document the retarded predicament I was in, so that after I sank into the earth and perished, and was one day dug up by the mole men that will replace human kind, I would have documentation of my fate with me.

Had a long telephoto lens, though - not able to photograph the ground in front of me from where I was, too close. So I did what all ballers would do - wiped my caked up mud hand on my pants and executed a one handed lens change on my expensive camera with a muddy hand.

Kept digging, after about a half hour I was able to get my leg free. Lost my shoe, had to dig that out.

I missed an opportunity here. My K5 is coated in this thick, horrible muddy quicksand stuff. I’d also changed the lens with a muddy one handed awkward change, and then taken a bunch of pictures with it. So it was pretty thoroughly abused. So I went ahead and walked out on a rock by the lake and splashed it around in there to clean it off. But I forgot that I had a backup camera in my pocket. What’s the point of having a backup camera if you don’t remember to take pictures of your main camera totally coked in mud?

It would’ve made a cool demonstration video for youtube to show the shape it was in and then splashing it around in the lake. Damn. Oh well. When I got back to my car, it was still kind of ugly. I wasn’t able to get all the mud off of it, just most of it, so after I rinsed my hands with a gallon of water I’d had in the car I went ahead and dumped it in the camera.

Couldn’t do much about the rest of the mud. Tried to shake it off my legs and shoes but it was pervasive. Somehow while I’m driving home flakes of mud are flying out of my hair. No idea how that happened, I didn’t dunk my head in it. My glasses are all muddied up too. It’s too bad - I took the scenic route home and got tempted to stop for pictures, but I figured I should probably give the camera a more thorough cleaning before I keep using it.

So I got home, threw all my clothes in the washing machine, and then the camera and I took a shower together. It was very erotic. I forgot to shut it off during the shower too but it doesn’t seem to care, it’s working just fine.

My only concern remains wtf was that horrible white goo pit of doom? I had a fissure/small wound in one of my fingers that got caked in mud repeatedly, which kinda looked black and nasty after I washed it off, so now I’m concerned that some sort of alien bacteria is now growing inside my finger. So I may yet die from this. But at least those greedy birds won’t be eating me.

The pictures are not terribly descriptive. I had limited range of motion and I couldn’t actually see what I was taking pictures of, so the angles are odd.

Digging out

Jammed pretty good in there

Horrible disgusting goo pits

Shoe rescue

Where I was, in my supervillain submarine

Camera abuse

And another one

Keep in mind that was after I’d already gotten the bulk off of the camera by splashing it around in the lake, that was just the leftovers.

Oh, somewhat related, earlier in the day I was climbing down from some big rocks. I was using my right arm to climb while my left arm was carrying my camera. But I lost my balance and my hand with the camera came crashing down to catch me. The camera hit a rock pretty hard. The rock exploded into a chalky substance. Camera was no worse for the wear, except for being covered in chalk.

That thing is a tank.

Yes, it exists. It’s not quite like the Hollywood version, but it exists.

I don’t know why Hollywood lost interest in it though.

Sank.

Quicksand isn’t an exciting enough form of death anymore. Even a rescue it is dull.

However, sinking into a pool of molten steel in a factory is da bomb!

Remember that guy that was rockclimbing and when his arm got stuck, he cut it off? You could have done that with your foot. Wuss!

[Twirls mustache] CURSES!

Had two experiences with quicksand right here in boring old Indiana. It really exists!

The sign for quicksand in Australia was …

lol

I was thinking the same thing. Aron Ralston.

Cutting my foot off would’ve been slightly premature. I really might’ve been stuck though had the pit extended out another few feet and I didn’t have a solid rock to balance on. Although it was solid enough that I could’ve probably dug myself out anyway, it would’ve been difficult.

Who cares? You could have been stuck in a crack in the pavement in a Wendys parking lot for 10 minutes, cut your foot off, and been an internet hero and had a movie made about you.

It’s a very small price to pay.

The camera shower is what I am interested in. That is a digital camera & it survived a shower? I need to reconsider one of those.

What about cutting your arm off?

Heh…

It might have made a more effective digging tool that way.

It does exist. I had a buddy walking a few feet to my left, and he sunk immediatley up to his chest in muddy gunk.

We had a hard time pulling him out while laughing at him.

The shower was the easy part, I was worried about the caked-on mud or clay or sand or whatever it was getting into the controls and stuff, that’s more insidious. Water is pretty easy.

But yeah it depends on the camera. Here’s an example demonstration, that’s the same cameras as I have. I wouldn’t trust a canon or nikon to do that sort of thing until you get to their $6000-9000 flagship bodies though. And no sony/fuji/olympus.

I had a few run-ins with quicksand while in the Paria Canyon hiking. It was never worse than maybe the middle of the shins or maybe the knee, but you still had to be careful in getting out. It was easy with one leg stuck, difficult with two. I did have a trailmate who managed to wrench a knee pretty badly in some as well.

Cute and well written story OP. Though I did catch the sneak bragging about being a “very tempting rape target”.

IIRC true “quicksand” is a special thing. Its just not muck or mucky sand or soft sand that you sink into. Its sand that has some water flowing through it so that the grains are being separated slightly. Imagine a spring basin filled with sand and the spring flow being very low.

You can create quicksand in a bucket. Get a five gallon bucket or whatever large container you can find. Put in a hose that reaches to the bottom. Fill container with sand. Place something heavy like a brick on top of the sand. Very slowly turn the water on just a little. Keep at very low flow until the sand is all wet and water is flowing over the edge.

Now watch the surface of the sand carefully. Then, again slowly increase the flow. At some point you will see the sand surface lift up a bit. This is when the grains separate. At that point the brick will sink, well like a brick.

If you are easily amused like me you can spend and hour or two doing this over and over again going “cool!”