The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Have you met someone who didn't know a really well-known pop or historical reference?

This was inspired by an e-mail from a friend whose coworker was on the phone to a customer. He explained that the order must have fallen down that bottomless pit that Gandalf fell down. After a bit of confusion he said "So you don't know what second breakfast is!" Really? Not everyone in the universe has seen LotR?

OK, I know some haven't. I'm sure my parents wouldn't get the references.

But then I remembered someone here meeting someone who had no idea who Hitler was, or that there was a World War II.

So share your stories. Tell us about the guy you met last week who has never heard of Obama or Star Wars or chocolate.
Advertisements  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM

I was listening to a call-in radio show this morning and the caller was very excited because her kid got to go on a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia with her high school class.

The radio show host, who is about 60, joked that he and his colleague almost got to go on a field trip to Vietnam back when they were younger. I don't think the caller got the reference.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM

First thing I could think of: long ago, when "right on" was almost de rigueur for responses that could have been "yes" or "certainly" or "absolutely" and similar variations of agreement, it was amusing to hear people from earlier generations trying to be "hep" by saying "right o" instead. That of course led to such things as "farm out" and "right arm."

I always had an affinity for "out of sequence" or "out of shape" instead of "out of sight."
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
This was inspired by an e-mail from a friend whose coworker was on the phone to a customer. He explained that the order must have fallen down that bottomless pit that Gandalf fell down. After a bit of confusion he said "So you don't know what second breakfast is!" Really? Not everyone in the universe has seen LotR?
[largely mock but entirely feckless and quite hypocritical rage]
I'm sure you meant read Lord of the Rings.
[/largely mock but entirely feckless and quite hypocritical rage]

I'm often the guy who doesn't get pop culture references. I don't follow sports, for instance, so references to sports figures either go over my head or completely unnoticed as a reference. Like reality show memes.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM

I have never read or watched Lord of the Rings, and would not get any reference to "second breakfast." But, I'm probably as old as your parents.

I did meet a guy in college who didn't know who won the American Revolution. But, that's not really pop culture.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
[largely mock but entirely feckless and quite hypocritical rage]
I'm sure you meant read Lord of the Rings.
[/largely mock but entirely feckless and quite hypocritical rage]

I'm often the guy who doesn't get pop culture references. I don't follow sports, for instance, so references to sports figures either go over my head or completely unnoticed as a reference. Like reality show memes.
I have never seen or read Lord of the Rings. I might have pieced together what the caller was talking about based on some vague things I have heard but I still wouldn't truly know what they were talking about. I have no idea what a 'second breakfast ' is.

I am sure that there are tons of them that fly over my head because know next to nothing about current pop culture. I took the death of the past millennium really hard and never really acknowledged the current one. I have never seen any reality show except for some old episodes of American Pickers, Pawn Stars and a few old episodes of Jersey Shore. That is it. I couldn't tell you the names of any popular movies in the last 5 years nor could I tell you any of the top 10 TV shows. I haven't seen any of them. I have no idea who the most popular acts are in the past 10 years except for that little Beaver kid. I am only 39.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 03-22-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Way back in my junior year of high school ('85 / '86), I was in history class and we were discussing the Protestant Reformation. The teacher was talking about Martin Luther for about an hour, and one classic dumb jock asked "Martin Luther was alive back then? Didn't he free the slaves in the south in the 60s?"
Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings movies, but there are enough people referring to them that if someone hisses 'my precious" I know sort of why. There's plenty of stuff that's completely lost on me.

My closest friend's girlfriend was raised by hippie parents in a rural area with no TV. She went to a crunchy granola boarding school with no TV so she couldn't even go over to her friends' houses to watch TV.

I, on the other hand watched a whole lot of TV, and pepper conversations with references to 70s and 80s sitcoms. It falls to Friend A to turn to friend B and say "that was a line from the show Welcome Back, Kotter". It was about a high school teacher in Brooklyn with a classroom full of 28 year olds." She's a good sport about it.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Way back in my junior year of high school ('85 / '86), I was in history class and we were discussing the Protestant Reformation. The teacher was talking about Martin Luther for about an hour, and one classic dumb jock asked "Martin Luther was alive back then? Didn't he free the slaves in the south in the 60s?"
He killed Superman to free the slaves!

In the '90s, I knew someone who thought Sting sounded kinda like that guy from the Police.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I read the books in when I was in Junior High in the late 70s and didn't see the movies. I know who Gandalf is but I don't have a clue about second breakfast. I've never really been into the fantasy genre so have no interest in the movies.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM

I think my wife was in a coma during the 80's.

Bon Jovi, wasn't he in Van Halen or something?

No. No he wasn't.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM

I haven't read or watched any of The Lord of the Rings movies.

I have no idea what's on TV these days.

It gets very easy past a certain age to not give a shit about pop culture any more.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

I have a friend who grew up in the Cleveland metro area, and now lives in Cleveland proper and doesn't know who Michael Stanley is.

There are only so many famous musicians from Cleveland (well he's famous in Cleveland) and even if you never were familiar with his music, he has been a DJ here forever. And he does commercials on TV, and you see him at any number of local events as an emcee or a special guest. If nothing else you see ads and reviews of his music whenever he plays out or puts out a new album.

She got all mad that I said it was weird that she didn't know him, and she said I'm weird for knowing. I asked several of her friends from high school if they knew who he was and they all knew, even the girl who doesn't know who Steve Buscemi is (another story).

Weirdo.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM

At a place where I worked, there was an 18yo kid who was a messenger. His name was Carmen Miranda. I told him once that I bet a lot of people made wise cracks about his name, thinking he should have a lot of fruit on his head. What I got back was a blank stare.

Now I'm not saying everyone should know who Carmen Miranda was. But if your name is exactly like hers, there should have been comments like that over the years. Nope, nothing.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit:

Quote:
Bounder: Morning, I'm Bounder of Adventure.
Smoketoomuch: Hello, I'm Smoketoomuch.
Bounder: Well, you'd better cut down a little then.
Smoketoomuch: I'm sorry?
Bounder: You'd better cut down a little then.
Smoketoomuch: Oh, I see! Smoke too much so I'd better cut down a little then!
Bounder: Yes, ha ha... I expect you get people making jokes about your name all the time, eh?
Smoketoomuch: No, I never noticed it before.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Anybody remember a certain chief executive who couldn't seem to remember all the words to "fool me once..."?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Anybody remember a certain chief executive who couldn't seem to remember all the words to "fool me once..."?
How is that a pop culture reference?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Maybe it's not, but my guess is that well over 50% of the population have heard it at one time or another.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I think it's just a well-known saying. But I first heard it on Star Trek.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

One time I had a layover in some airport (Can't remember which) I'm sitting at a table with some lady I don't know. Playing on the TV is Buggs Bunny and Yo Sammity Sam. This lady couldn't stop laughing to save her life. At one point she asked me if I knew who that was. (I told her)

Granted, this lady was a foreigner of some sort but damn, where on the planet can you learn to speak good English and not ever hear of Buggs Bunny?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Maybe it's not, but my guess is that well over 50% of the population have heard it at one time or another.
And? It's not like he didn't know it, he obviously knew it or her wouldn't have said it. He just got tongue tied.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
Playing on the TV is Buggs Bunny and Yo Sammity Sam.
Yosemite. It's the name of an obscure park that no one's ever heard of.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM

I never heard of "Peeps" until I was nearly 40.

("Yosemite Sam")
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM

About ten years ago I started touring with a band, most of us were around our mid thirties in age. The guitar player, IIRC, was a year or two older than me. He was totally clueless about 70's and 80's pop culture, it was amazing what he did not know about.

Examples

Never heard of Fast times at Ridgemont High, nor any Brat Pack movie, nor Monty Python, never saw ET, never heard of Big Bird, Sesame Street or the Electric Company

It was like the only media he knew was pre 1940, he was into very old music, which is cool but how do you grow up in the DC Metro area and know zip, zilch, nada about pop culture

He also didn't tip in restaurants

Go figure

Capt

Quote:
And? It's not like he didn't know it, he obviously knew it or her wouldn't have said it. He just got tongue tied.
Well, then, I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it. I must have misread the OP. Thanks for yanking me back in line.

Quote:
He was busy tipping his hat to the new constitution.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
One time I had a layover in some airport (Can't remember which) I'm sitting at a table with some lady I don't know. Playing on the TV is Buggs Bunny and Yo Sammity Sam. This lady couldn't stop laughing to save her life. At one point she asked me if I knew who that was. (I told her)

Granted, this lady was a foreigner of some sort but damn, where on the planet can you learn to speak good English and not ever hear of Buggs Bunny?
I think it is just along from where the people who don't know that it is Yosemite Sam live.

ETA: Yikes! Double ninjaed already!

Last edited by njtt; 03-22-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 03:10 PM

I mentioned David Bowie to a 22 year old, and got a blank stare.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I think my wife was in a coma during the 80's.

Bon Jovi, wasn't he in Van Halen or something?

No. No he wasn't.
This totally made me Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there!

And yes, I've known lots of people who somehow didn't know about things that I consider major events, even tho they actually lived during their occurrence. Little things like the Chernobyl Disaster or the Challenger explosion or Nixon resigning…
Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Please tell me this whole post is a joke?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Please tell me this whole post is a joke?
A joke as in I'm being incredibly naive? If so, guilty as charged.

A joke as in the lady didn't really know who Buggs Bunny was? Nope, not a joke.

Last edited by Shakes; 03-22-2013 at 03:27 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Initially I was surprised whenever someone told me they've never heard of my favorite pop culture topic, Ke$ha. Then I started noticing a pattern: childless people my age (36) and younger generally do know who she is. People who are older than me and/or have kids generally don't. It's just one more reason I'm glad I don't have kids.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
A joke as in I'm being incredibly naive? If so, guilty as charged.

A joke as in the lady didn't really know who Buggs Bunny was? Nope, not a joke.
Others have already commented but Yosemite Sam. Bugs Bunny. That you are laughing at a person from another culture not knowing these characters when you don't know their actual names is what makes your post sound like a joke.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Tell us about the guy you met last week who has never heard of Obama or Star Wars or chocolate.
WTF is an Obama? One of those fancy new hybrid cars?

Quote:
Yo Sammity Sam.
Quote:
Yosemite. It's the name of an obscure park that no one's ever heard of.
I laughed.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM

My ex-boyfriend didn't know about 2girls & a cup(DO NOT GOOGLE)
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I met a girl once who was totally amazed that Paul McCartney had been in a group before Wings.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM

I had a (Canadian) landlady once who thought Saskatchewan was in Alberta. I guess that's more geographical than historical, though.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 PM

I worked with a woman who was about two years older than me. We were talking about the movie Forrest Gump and she told me, she had to ask her husband, "What's Watergate?" Evidently he stared at her in shock (much as I did) and explained it to her. I told her, "How can you not know that?" She said, "Hey, I didn't pay attention in school. I hated it."

I also had a classmate like upthread that asked if Martin Luther and MLK were related, when we were learning about the Protestant Reformation. The teacher replied that he didn't really think so. Her response: "Then why do they have the same name?"
Old 03-22-2013, 04:14 PM

I had a girlfriend in college who didn't get a Gilligan's Island reference. Then she got mad that I judged her.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
. . . not ever hear of Buggs Bunny?
Or know how to spell "Bugs."

And this one's about me: A few years ago our chorus did a show of music from the 80s. The only ones that were familiar to me were some from a medley of themes from TV shows. I just didn't listen to pop music from the 80s (or since, for that matter). Frankly, I don't think I missed anything.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 PM

I've mentioned this one in similar threads. It shocked me.
Within about a week of the 2008 election we were standing around at work at the end of the day. Sarah Palin was in town for a quick campaign stop and one of the women mentioned it. This other lady, about 30-35, asked who that was. She was not joking! Absolutely no idea.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
Initially I was surprised whenever someone told me they've never heard of my favorite pop culture topic, Ke$ha. Then I started noticing a pattern: childless people my age (36) and younger generally do know who she is. People who are older than me and/or have kids generally don't. It's just one more reason I'm glad I don't have kids.
My awareness of pop culture dipped dramatically when I had children. Then about four years after that I became aware of things on Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel. About eight years after that I started becoming aware things happening in music again. Still, there's a period of more than a decade when I didn't know what anything was.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Others have already commented but Yosemite Sam. Bugs Bunny. That you are laughing at a person from another culture not knowing these characters when you don't know their actual names is what makes your post sound like a joke.
Fair enough, but I wasn't laughing at nobody. And in my defence, my first Google reference for Yosemite Sam came up as Yo Sammity Sam. And the Buggs thing is completely my fault. Please, excuse my ignorance.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM

I have made some good money selling stuff I found lying around in the quarry.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I have never read or watched Lord of the Rings, and would not get any reference to "second breakfast."
I just have to point out, Tolkien did not invent the concept of second-breakfast. Hobbit culture was modeled on various aspects of real rural European cultures, and that's one such.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM

Years ago, my friend and I were laughing about this jokey trailer of The Shining when our coworker said "That looks really good, I want to see that!"

Not only hadn't she seen The Shining (no crime), but she hadn't even heard of it.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 PM

PETA

The woman I sit next to at work (in her 30s) had never heard of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) until yesterday. That surprised me. But I don't know how unusual that really is.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM

My housemate apparently has never heard of 'Chicken Little' (or the UK variant name 'Chicken Licken').
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
My awareness of pop culture dipped dramatically when I had children. Then about four years after that I became aware of things on Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel. About eight years after that I started becoming aware things happening in music again. Still, there's a period of more than a decade when I didn't know what anything was.
Yeah, my son is three, and I'm just getting into the second stage now. I know a lot of stuff on NickJr and similar channels; not much else from current pop culture.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Yo Sammity Sam?