The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Half Man Half Wit Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
XKCD 1190: "Time"---Randall's setting something up...

...and I hope it'll be something good.

As fans of XKCD know, Randall is fond of every now and then producing special occasion comics which strain the limits of the medium in a unique, and often nerdy, way. It seems something like this is happening again, as the current comic, time, consists of nothing but a single frame of two people sitting in a landscape. But the frame has been subtly changing, every half hour or so---the pictures are catalogued in order at the 'explain XKCD'-wiki, and also in this post at the XKCD forums (which currently is one picture ahead of the wiki). Also, the forum features an interesting discussion about the technicalities of how the updating works.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 AM
Half Man Half Wit Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
...and I hope it'll be something good.
But the way this is going, I fear it might not be: the girl's lying down in the grass now, and the boy has stood up and seems to be leaving. Given that Randall's blogged about his then-fiancťe (now wife) having breast cancer, I really really hope I'm reading too much into this and at the end just look like an overly worrisome gossip...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Alessan Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
He's not leaving. See now the "ground" turns flat to his right? He's looking at the water.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM
willthekittensurvive? willthekittensurvive? is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I do hope you are a overly worrisome gossip, but when he started walking away I got scared too
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
JohnT JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 14,266
Just changed for 6:30 am. Guy was looking across the "water", now he's looking down at it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Half Man Half Wit Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
He's not leaving. See now the "ground" turns flat to his right? He's looking at the water.
Apparently, he's now trying out his footing on the water... I can't really say why, but this new one seems a bit more light-hearted, less melancholy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
...and I hope it'll be something good.

As fans of XKCD know, Randall is fond of every now and then producing special occasion comics which strain the limits of the medium in a unique, and often nerdy, way. It seems something like this is happening again, as the current comic, time, consists of nothing but a single frame of two people sitting in a landscape. But the frame has been subtly changing, every half hour or so---the pictures are catalogued in order at the 'explain XKCD'-wiki, and also in this post at the XKCD forums (which currently is one picture ahead of the wiki). Also, the forum features an interesting discussion about the technicalities of how the updating works.
This post is putting them in a gif.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
I swear the latest one I just saw that the wiki had him sitting back down with her after looking down at the water, but now I just get a 500 error when I try to view it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Half Man Half Wit Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
This post is putting them in a gif.
And it even auto-updates. This is both impressive and terrifying!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 55,260
I think that the message is just that time spent with a loved one, doing something unexciting like sitting quietly at the beach, is still time well-spent.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Half Man Half Wit Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I think that the message is just that time spent with a loved one, doing something unexciting like sitting quietly at the beach, is still time well-spent.
...As opposed to time spent obsessively pressing F5 hoping some website updates...

But I'm home sick, so I'm allowed to go and be pathetic on the internet!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
leahcim leahcim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
...As opposed to time spent obsessively pressing F5 hoping some website updates...
What about time spent with a loved one, doing something unexciting like obsessively pressing F5?

Seems to be looping at this point anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
UncleRojelio UncleRojelio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ATX
Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post

Seems to be looping at this point anyway.
No, there are still new ones.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
raventhief raventhief is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I think they may be building a sandcastle. It will be a few hours before we know for certain though.

Last edited by raventhief; 03-25-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 13,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I think they may be building a sandcastle. It will be a few hours before we know for certain though.
Like sands through the hour glass, these are the days of our lives...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Starkan Starkan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Definitely Beach Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I think they may be building a sandcastle. It will be a few hours before we know for certain though.
The girl shakes her head because she was laying on the sand, to get it out of her hair. I'm definitely thinking they're on a beach, and sandcastles are on the way. I'm excited for more.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM
obfusciatrist obfusciatrist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
I suspect I'm doing it wrong. I'm just going to wait until it all over and then go look at it in a high speed gif.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM
leahcim leahcim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRojelio View Post
No, there are still new ones.
Silly me, was looking at cached stuff, I guess.

As per usual XKCD topics, I'm now expecting this to end in some cunnilingus, followed by a "your mom" joke.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Shadez Shadez is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: expat in The Hague, NL
Posts: 661
Someone at the XKCD's forum link mentioned above has posted a capture of all of them together so far. Note the comic count in the upper left and the slower/faster option in the upper right.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Greg Charles Greg Charles is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,418
This is starting to freak me out. They're saying goodbye now. I'm praying for glurge at this point. Please let it be glurge.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 13,924
I can't get the XKCD forum to load. Must be a server problem. Do you think this strip actually means something?????
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Do y'all really think Randall would do a 2 day long gimmick strip to announce that his wife had died, rather than taking some time off to mourn, contact their loved ones, make funeral arrangements and all the other stuff that's associated with death?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 13,924
Wife died? No. I was thinking maybe he's announcing a hiatus or something.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Charles View Post
This is starting to freak me out. They're saying goodbye now. I'm praying for glurge at this point. Please let it be glurge.
Glurge? No. It's just going to be a sandcastle eroding away via the tide. No reason to read so much into it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Alessan Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Do y'all really think Randall would do a 2 day long gimmick strip to announce that his wife had died, rather than taking some time off to mourn, contact their loved ones, make funeral arrangements and all the other stuff that's associated with death?
I think he's an artist who expresses himself in the one way he knows how.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM
leahcim leahcim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Do y'all really think Randall would do a 2 day long gimmick strip to announce that his wife had died, rather than taking some time off to mourn, contact their loved ones, make funeral arrangements and all the other stuff that's associated with death?
Besides, I thought from previous comics that things were looking up in that regard. Did I understand wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Antigen Antigen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: was Montreal, now MD
Posts: 7,114
It's just a comic, you guys. He's not mourning his wife, for goodness' sake. They were on JoCoCruiseCrazy last month, having fun and very much not dying.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
1. If his wife died, it'd have leaked out.
2. If his wife died, he'd certainly not have the time to draw 100 panels to slowly gotcha ya his audience with a meditation on life, death, entrophy and nice days at the beach.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 13,924
Wow, she's been busy on that sandcastle.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM
leahcim leahcim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Wow, she's been busy on that sandcastle.
I know. She's a lot more productive when he's not involved. I have that same relationship with many of my coworkers.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
1. If his wife died, it'd have leaked out.
2. If his wife died, he'd certainly not have the time to draw 100 panels to slowly gotcha ya his audience with a meditation on life, death, entrophy and nice days at the beach.
And in the past, when something in his life took priority, he just came out and said it and then took some time off, IIRC.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 13,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
I know. She's a lot more productive when he's not involved. I have that same relationship with many of my coworkers.
"Time: Other people suck yours away"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
raventhief raventhief is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
It seems like an epic way to say "sandcastles are fun" and it seems odd that he left her there to build it. There is speculation on the xkcd forums that it will result in some sort of "message" - like if a child appears to help or play in the sand.

I think the tide will erase the massive castle she builds tho.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM
The Hamster King The Hamster King is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,636
With a title like "Time", I suspect we're in for the long haul. I wouldn't be surprised if 1190 is still updating every hour six months from now ... .

Last edited by The Hamster King; 03-26-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
He could continue updating it, but I'd be surprised - I have a feeling he'd rather spend time completing a long term project like this than commit himself to an indefinite end date. And if he wanted something extremely large-scale, he'd have posted this as a Friday comic (so it'd spill into the weekend). We'll certainly see by tomorrow...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Nzinga, Seated Nzinga, Seated is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
**eyes red, hair mussed, coffee cold, sleep fitful and sparse**

Oh, xkcd:Time...I wish I could quit you.

Arghhh, I can't do this. I have no patience for these games.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Greg Charles Greg Charles is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,418
Probably you're all right. I wish Randall would just let the other shoe drop already. The male character has just returned to the scene, so maybe that's getting close.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
obfusciatrist obfusciatrist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
It'll be cool if it is actually a 97 minutes animated feature drawn at 4fps and will play out over the next two years.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Nzinga, Seated Nzinga, Seated is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
It'll be cool if it is actually a 97 minutes animated feature drawn at 4fps and will play out over the next two years.
Oh, god, no. What fresh hell have you concocted?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM
gracer gracer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I think pregnancy:

- First they're just hanging out, not doing anything productive
- Then they build a tiny little bit together (bionka-boinka)
- Then he goes away, and she builds a huge mound all on her own...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM
The Hamster King The Hamster King is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
Oh, god, no. What fresh hell have you concocted?
I'm hoping for something along the lines of the Halberstadt performance of As Slow as Possible.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
leahcim leahcim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer View Post
I think pregnancy:

- First they're just hanging out, not doing anything productive
- Then they build a tiny little bit together (bionka-boinka)
- Then he goes away, and she builds a huge mound all on her own...
But he's come back before the castle's done!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 21,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
It seems like an epic way to say "sandcastles are fun" and it seems odd that he left her there to build it. There is speculation on the xkcd forums that it will result in some sort of "message" - like if a child appears to help or play in the sand.

I think the tide will erase the massive castle she builds tho.
Which has me wondering why I haven't seen a tide yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamster King View Post
With a title like "Time", I suspect we're in for the long haul. I wouldn't be surprised if 1190 is still updating every hour six months from now ... .
Hmm. Maybe the one for Wednesday is going to be called "Tide," and show the tide coming in and washing the sandcastle away.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 03-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: new idea struck me...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM
tanstaafl tanstaafl is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,124
Third season of Game of Thrones is about to start...

"Tide is Coming!"
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Quimby Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
I am thinking this is the only comic he will be posting this week and it will update throughout the week.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Half Man Half Wit Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Maybe the one for Wednesday is going to be called "Tide," and show the tide coming in and washing the sandcastle away.
Time and tide wait for no man?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:18 PM
gracer gracer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
But he's come back before the castle's done!
Uuuuh.... maybe he's cutting the cord

OK there goes that theory...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
leahcim leahcim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer View Post
OK there goes that theory...
I reiterate my theory that this is all a set-up for a "yo' mama" joke.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
standingwave standingwave is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
It's just a comic, you guys.
I think itís a rather clever jab at inter-office politics, donít you think? A commentary on contemporary mores.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
I think itís a rather clever jab at inter-office politics, donít you think? A commentary on contemporary mores.
It says moops.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.