Are there atheists who are not really arrogant?

If so I have not met any of them. To be fair I don’t know many atheists so it’s a small sample.

You probably know a lot more atheists than you realize. The non-arrogant ones don’t make a big deal out of it.

Most atheists I know are just as quiet and humble as the religious folks. However, I am sure they would sound different if I were arguing instead of, you know, just hanging out with them.

Yes. I haven’t found atheists to be any more arrogant than theists.

Given how believers typically define “arrogant atheist” as “being an atheist”, no.

Quiet atheists are like homosexuals - you probably know quite a few, you just don’t know that they’re atheists.

My fiance is an atheist and very mellow about it. He doesn’t care what anyone else believes. His attitude is basically, “I’ve never had an experience that made me believe in anything religious, but I don’t have a problem if you believe in something”.
I think one reason he is like this is that his mother is religious but not at all pushy about it. They have a great relationship. She doesn’t seem to have a problem with his atheism and he doesn’t have anything unkind to say about her religious beliefs.

He doesn’t like atheists who are total dicks about it any more than religious people do (and, no,it’s not your imagination - the really arrogant, obnoxious atheists totally do exist.)

That sounds kinda right. I think you (the OP) are assuming that all atheists go around announcing it and talking about it at every opportunity. I mean, when someone says something to me like “Wow, I just had my first grandchild, I don’t know how anyone can look at a newborn baby and say there isn’t a God” or “What a beautiful day we’re having, God must be giving us a little break after a week of rain and the weatherman said we’re supposed to get 3 inches of snow tonight”, I just reply with something nice, but non religious, I don’t say “There isn’t a god” or “Geez, you’re religious?..moron” and I’m not thinking it either, I really don’t care.

To anyone that doesn’t know my religious affiliation (or lack thereof) they’d probably just assume I was Catholic/Christian. There’s no reason not to make the assumption, I didn’t have any reaction one way or the other to their statements (they don’t really bother me).

When I was little, my parents taught me to never talk about money, politics or religion. I still do that. They had different reasons for it. Owning a small business, getting into those conversations can alienate customers, but I find it just avoids awkward conversations, outright arguments and losing friends with someone over differing opinions.

Sometimes believers put non-believers in situations that beg for a little assertiveness. Like today, me on the phone with my mother. She was telling me how the Catholics make themselves miserable making a big deal about Christ’s death rather than celebrating his resurrection like the good Protestants do. She hastened to add that both are “correct”, but obviously the Protestants are more correct. The smugness was just a little too much and I said, “And you know I think both positions are crazy, right?” I mean, she’s known about my agnoticism for years now. I shouldn’t have to pretend anymore.

I try not to be an annoying person, and thus don’t ever bring up religion in conversation. But if people talk to me about their faith in a way that assumes I naturally agree, I gently correct them. People don’t appreciate the diversity of thought around them unless it’s pointed out to them that there IS a diversity.

Do you know the religious views of everyone in your life? Probably not. I’m sure you know plenty of non-arrogant atheists- you just don’t realize it. If you met me, you might assume I’m catholic, just because my family is. My beliefs(or lack thereof) aren’t a secret, but it’s just not the kind of thing that generally comes up in conversation. Not all atheists go around spouting religion-hate, just as not all christians go around “witnessing”. Arrogance seems to be a personality thing, not a religion thing.

I’m not arrogant. Well, at least not about my atheism. :slight_smile:

It is believers I find arrogant. They know they’re right. I don’t really know, I just believe that the whole concept of God makes no sense. (Who created God? He created Himself. WTF?)

You would never know I was an atheist in real life. I don’t go around announcing it every moment.

It very rarely comes up in conversation, the only time you would know is when I am asking why a God I have no belief in gets more of a say with my politicians than I do as a voter. As far as I know He didn’t rock up, number some boxes and eat a bbq sausage in bread last election day but I did.

:slight_smile:

It’s not that we’re arrogant. It just seems that way because we’re better, smarter, and more attractive than you.

About the only time I ever bring it up is when someone tells me to have a merry Xmas (for some reason everyone seems to assume that I want one) and I say “No, thank you.”

You will find a lot of people who have different beliefs than you just don’t mention it and, in fact, go out of their way to avoid mentioning it unless they feel like they won’t be judged for it. My guess is that you know several atheists, a pagan or two, a buddhist, etc. and just have no clue what they personally believe.

No, they’re all smarmy assholes who think they are better than everyone else. What’s their problem? Granted, people in Canada are pretty mellow, so I’m sure there are probably a few humble atheists up there, but I’ve never been so I wouldn’t really know.

I’m pretty sure it’s the internet that breeds arrogance. Especially when it comes to Athiesm.

In real life, people tone it down just a notch.

I’ll say this quite honestly. I’m from a pretty liberal, northern state where there are lots of agnostics and atheists. There are also quite a few first and second generation Catholic immigrants and a fair number of Yankee Protestants whose families trace back to the Mayflower.

I find that from a religious point of view, the Christians, both Catholic and Protestant, have always seemed a lot more arrogant and pushy about their “correct” beliefs than the agnostics or the atheists.

A friend’s five year old daughter came home from school crying because a classmate told her she was going to Hell because she didn’t go to church. That’s a rather common sentiment around here. I’ve NEVER heard a child of atheists running around promoting the proposition that no one is going to Hell because it’s just make believe.