The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
SSG Schwartz SSG Schwartz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Making a road trip to Chicago to see a Cubs game. What should I know?

I have the tickets to the game vs. the Cardinals. I booked a hotel in Bridgeview and plan to take the trains to get to the game. Anything I should know about the Windy City before I arrive as a tourist?

SFC Schwartz
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM
epbrown01 epbrown01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
When you get on the train (Red Line, Addison stop, after Belmont), get in a car near the end, front or rear. For whatever reason, Cubs fans all cram into two cars in the middle when there is room in all the other cars.

If you've got time to stroll around a bit before the game, get off a stop early at Belmont and walk north on Clark Street to Addison - it's an interesting 4 blocks and will make good recon for post-game activities you might be interested in (restaurants, bars, shops).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
If the Cardinals hit a home-run ball into the bleachers, you have to throw it back onto the field. And I recommend you wear neither Blue or Red, as either way, half of the attendees will want to kill you.

If you are coming earlier than July, bring a warm coat.

And don't ask for ketchup on your hot dog.

Have a great trip!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Dinsdale Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
What should you know? Well, the Cubs are most likely going to lose!

As Tim says, plan on it feeling colder than you might think given the temp. Especially if there is a breeze and as the shadows move across in an afternoon game.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM
epbrown01 epbrown01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
And I recommend you wear neither Blue or Red, as either way, half of the attendees will want to kill you.
Really? Despite living close to the park I've never gone to a game, but friends that have consistently report most attendees don't even watch the games. Tough to imagine people would care that much what you're wearing...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Cheryl44 Cheryl44 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
The Cubs really suck this year. And it seems to me attendance is down. I know this because the ballpark is between my home and my work, and yet I'm not having the commute from Hell this year. But it's early and it's been cold, maybe it'll perk up once it's warmer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Making a road trip to Chicago to see a Cubs game. What should I know?

The Cubs will probably lose.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Trom Trom is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Not all of Chicago is as obnoxious as Wrigleyville.

If you need to get a cab, walk west or north out of the stadium. You'll save yourself time by not having to compete with all the other people and traffic.

Last edited by Trom; 04-23-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Really? Despite living close to the park I've never gone to a game, but friends that have consistently report most attendees don't even watch the games. Tough to imagine people would care that much what you're wearing...
That's true most of the time. But Cubs/Cardinal games are more intense. Especially as the Cardinals have such a crappy stadium and so many of them come up to Chicago to watch their boys pound the Cubs into sand.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Cheryl44 Cheryl44 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
The new Busch Stadium is lovely.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM
SSG Schwartz SSG Schwartz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
When you get on the train (Red Line, Addison stop, after Belmont), get in a car near the end, front or rear. For whatever reason, Cubs fans all cram into two cars in the middle when there is room in all the other cars.
...
Thanks, this is one suggestion I will actually use. I am hoping I can walk around and get some scenery before the game.

BTW, where can I get take out beer for after the game? Do I have to go to a package store, or can I buy from a 7-11?

SFC Schwartz
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Most 7-Elevens and grocery stores and even drug stores in Illinois sell beer, but not all of them. But there are also a few liquor stores near Wrigley.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 PM
epbrown01 epbrown01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Most 7-Elevens and grocery stores and even drug stores in Illinois sell beer, but not all of them. But there are also a few liquor stores near Wrigley.
Yep. There's a liquor store just outside the train station he'll be leaving. The ballpark is west/to the right on Addison as you exit, the liquor store is east/left at Wilton, and there's a 7/11 at Sheffield and Addison (almost always has a Baur BMW out front). The next nearest one, which he'll pass heading north on Clark from Belmont, is at that 6-corner intersection of Clark/Sheffield/Newport near the Einstein Bros. Bagles.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 PM
jnglmassiv jnglmassiv is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago's Northside
Posts: 2,392
You can bring food and sealed soft drinks into the park. If you know you will want peanuts and water, bring them in, even if you buy them right across/on the street. Make your rowmates jealous with your awesome carryout from a local restaurant. Bring napkins!

If you go for a hot dog at the park, I recommend walking to the concessions level and finding one of the dog booths with grilling onions. They have DIY condiments, too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
crucible crucible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Prepare to pay double or triple what anything is worth if you aren't a Chicago resident.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM
crucible crucible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
If you like rabbit, there's a restaurant down the street where you can pay $10 for a beer and eat all the rabbit you want.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM
crucible crucible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Stay away from the South Side. Your odds of being killed there by a gun are about 20X the rest of the US combined.

When entering the platform of the trains, keep your hand on your wallet, especially if someone happens to bump into you. Lots of pickpockets in Chicago, especially on the North Side.

There are also gangs the cops don't even challenge in some parks where they will mug you, rape you and laugh as they stroll away, knowing the cops are too scared of them to do anything about it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM
crucible crucible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
The aquarium is far overpriced and the attractions are shoddy. Nice view of the downtown skyline, though.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Cheryl44 Cheryl44 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucible View Post
Stay away from the South Side. Your odds of being killed there by a gun are about 20X the rest of the US combined.

When entering the platform of the trains, keep your hand on your wallet, especially if someone happens to bump into you. Lots of pickpockets in Chicago, especially on the North Side.

There are also gangs the cops don't even challenge in some parks where they will mug you, rape you and laugh as they stroll away, knowing the cops are too scared of them to do anything about it.
Don't listen to the suburbanite. Yes, there are parts of the city you shouldn't go into alone or on foot. They're not all on the South Side.

Put your wallet in a front pants pocket, pay attention to your surroundings and you should be fine.

Big caveat though--if someone is in front of you boarding a train and stops right before they enter, either turn and walk away or knock them down. There's going to be someone right behind you putting their hand in your pocket as you stop to not run over this person.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
jnglmassiv jnglmassiv is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago's Northside
Posts: 2,392
Have you had a bad experience, crucible?
I beg to differ on many of your points.
We'd love to have you at the May Dopefest but I don't think we'll be able to get the National Guard escort arranged in time.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
crucible crucible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl44 View Post
Don't listen to the suburbanite. Yes, there are parts of the city you shouldn't go into alone or on foot. They're not all on the South Side.

Put your wallet in a front pants pocket, pay attention to your surroundings and you should be fine.

Big caveat though--if someone is in front of you boarding a train and stops right before they enter, either turn and walk away or knock them down. There's going to be someone right behind you putting their hand in your pocket as you stop to not run over this person.
The violence and muggings information is from a relative who works in the city. the aquarium rip off is mine alone. Unbelievable rip off for so little actual value. Parking around $40, admission after standing in line for an hour....another $80 for two people. Then they charge you admission to go to the ponies? don't they make enough on the bets? I hit a 60-1 longshot by accident though and made up for almost every other ripoff.

you described exactly what happened to my relative boarding the train after a Cubs game. As he went through the turnstile, he realized the man in front had delayed him only so the man behind could grab his wallet and run with it.

Last edited by crucible; 04-25-2013 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Cheryl44 Cheryl44 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I love the Shedd, but residents of the city pay discounted admissions for museums that are on park district property. I don't look at the fish much--it's just a great building.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
GrandWino GrandWino is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucible View Post
the aquarium rip off is mine alone. Unbelievable rip off for so little actual value. Parking around $40, admission after standing in line for an hour....another $80 for two people. Then they charge you admission to go to the ponies? don't they make enough on the bets? I hit a 60-1 longshot by accident though and made up for almost every other ripoff.
Ponies? Bets? I don't remember much horse racing at the Shedd, but it's been awhile since I've been.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM
bup bup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Really? Despite living close to the park I've never gone to a game, but friends that have consistently report most attendees don't even watch the games. Tough to imagine people would care that much what you're wearing...
Those aren't mutually exclusive. Baseball attendees who have no appreciation for the game can also be the most vocal/obnoxious.

Are the White Sox in town while you're here? That's a cheap ticket for a better team. The stadium isn't as storied, but it's perfectly comfortable and reachable by the red line.

What kind of food do you like? Chicago has nearly everything.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 30,121
Quote:
Making a road trip to Chicago to see a Cubs game. What should I know?
If the Cubs have any chance whatsoever of winning the Series, they will lose.

DAMN THE GOAT!
__________________
I don't care if it's a Ferris wheel to Jupiter or a bionic meatloaf. I'm going to relax.
~~~Candace Flynn
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
The area around U.S. Cellular field is absolutely horrible (I would know, I'm from there) but is very close to the Redline. Before and after the games it's pretty safe to go home in the crowd of other people heading back up north on the train, but you do NOT want to be hanging out there late and miss the safety of the herd, trust me.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:30 PM
SSG Schwartz SSG Schwartz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
You can bring food and sealed soft drinks into the park. If you know you will want peanuts and water, bring them in, even if you buy them right across/on the street. Make your rowmates jealous with your awesome carryout from a local restaurant. Bring napkins!

If you go for a hot dog at the park, I recommend walking to the concessions level and finding one of the dog booths with grilling onions. They have DIY condiments, too.
Thanks, Mrs. Schwartz always has to have water with her and a $7 bottle of water seems extreme here in KC. I will remember to bring sandwiches and keep my wallet in a front pocket.

Thanks,

SFC Schwartz
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post
The area around U.S. Cellular field is absolutely horrible (I would know, I'm from there) but is very close to the Redline. Before and after the games it's pretty safe to go home in the crowd of other people heading back up north on the train, but you do NOT want to be hanging out there late and miss the safety of the herd, trust me.
I think that's a bit overstated. I work at IIT, right across the expressway from Comiskey, and often walk around the campus at night. It's a lot safer now that Stateway Gardens have been razed. I would have agreed with you fifteen years ago, but not now.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 AM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
To be quite honest I forgot to mention that I haven't been home since 2005, but my grandmother says it's only gotten worse, but we lived on the other side of the Dan Ryan so I was just generalizing. Shouldn't have done that.

What I said about the herd is true, though...

(Also I still call it Comiskey and refuse to call it "U.S. Cellular", but we're talking about out-of-towners. )

Last edited by rogerbox; 04-27-2013 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 AM
crucible crucible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
50 years ago, my young wife and I attended a Sox double header against the KC Athletics, a gaudy, fast young team. I happened to have a Chevy (55) that didn't require a key to operate it. It took a key to lock it, but, in my youthful stupidity, I forgot to take the key with me.

A young man was standing nearby as I parked the car, and I told him, "Please watch this car for me, I'll pay you $2 when we come out".

Of course, it was gone, and not recovered for a week. Police found 12 young men who, during the week, took rides in the car and managed to drive the 54" wide auto between two 52" steel posts. Oddly, when the car was recovered, the cheap tape recorder I had hidden under the seat was no longer there. Imagine! Within a day, though, police called to tell me that a 12 or 13 year old had turned the recorder in at a local station. The tape was full of a young man singing pop songs, and maybe some of his own device. He was very, very good.

All of the boys were released to their parent's custody. I'm sure they all became sterling citizens, perhaps even politicians and preachers.

But, I will say, I never felt, at that time, any sense of insecurity or personal danger.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.