Amazon Fake Reviews Verified Purchase?

I know there are lot of reviews from people on amazon who post fake reviews.

However, what if they have the amazon verified purchase under their name. Does that mean its 100 percent legit?

The folks who post the reviews HAVE purchased the product.
It doesn’t mean that the reviewer isn’t employed by the manufacturer of the product.
It also doesn’t mean that the reviewer is a friend, cousin, neighbor, etc of the manufacturer.

It’s been my experience that Amazon fake reviews (and fake online reviews in general) are always pretty easy to spot. They’re decidedly unrealistic sounding. Instead of reading like a real person describing their experience with a product, they sound like ad copy. Often somewhat amateurish ad copy, which just adds even more to their ‘fakeness’. They’re usually full of awkward, gushing superlatives that normal people would never write in a review.

Yeah. Amazon can verify that a customer purchased the product they’re reviewing. But there’s no way, and could be no way, of verifying in all cases that what was posted is the reviewer’s honest opinion or that the reviewer has no connection whatsoever to the manufacturer/author/artist.

How do you know there aren’t other fake ones that aren’t so obvious?

I don’t. But, and this is just an educated guess on my part, I wouldn’t be surprised that when companies ***do ***use phoney online reviews as a form of advertising they would do it in a decidedly unsubtle, unsophisticated way (lots of ALL CAPS and exclamation marks!!!). Sort of how infomercials are, being that the target demographic for these types of ‘ads’ are people who, ahem, lack subtlety & sophistication. :smiley:

Not all products deserve real reviews.

Like this one. If it wasn’t for fake reviews, it wouldn’t have no reviews at all.*

*I know this is not grammatical. I am trying to sound bluesy.

Is this something like the Three Moon Wolf Shirt, or Home Circumcision Practice Kit?

I recently discovered that they are fine with me posting a “Verified Purchase” review for an item I returned. So one could buy, fake review and return items for little or no money.

I think all it’s good for is discouraging casual trolls from being taken seriously if they decide to spam a ton of screwball reviews.

I’ve bought a lot of stuff online over the past ten years or more, and phoney reviews are like the Supreme Court & obscenity: I can’t specifically define it, but I absolutely know it when I see it… :smiley: