New frontiers in spam

I have received a number of emails in the past week that read something like this one:

What will they come up with next. Incidentally, could this be called extortion? Needless to say, I will not go to their site to find out what they want, but I assume it involves my sending them money. Or is it just so they can compromise my computer?

As Arthur Wellesley said, “Publish and be damned!”

My thought s they want to compromise your computer. Most people wouldn’t send money, but everyone who clicks would be infected, so they’d get the most bang for their buck with a virus.

It’s malware, almost definitely.
Interestingly, I heard a talk recently on what spam ‘works’ in different areas of the world. The brand you’re getting tends to go over best in Asian markets, wherein the idea of something embarrassing becoming ‘public’ carries a lot more weight than it does, say, in the US.

I’d be inclined to go to their site and see what their scam is.

Be sure to DISABLE JavaScript in your browser and DISABLE Flash. And maybe enable cookie control so you can reject all that site’s cookies. (To be sure, these steps may also prevent you from seeing some or all of what’s on that site.)

Sounds like extortion to me.

Their scam is to get you to go to their site. Don’t fall for it.

Disabling Java won’t protect you from all malware.

Hari, do you mind PMing me the link please? I work in spam research and I’d like to take a look.

I deleted it. But I will try to do so the next time. I’ve been getting several of these a week. And believe me, I was not about to sign on to it.

I have been getting phone calls from “Microsoft” telling me that my computer is infected with a virus. Phone calls! The are originating in India judging by the typical accent of the caller. I worry that these assholes are going to get my mother’s number, she might actually fall for something like this. I would never fall for it, especially since all my devices are either apple or android.

Yeah, we’re getting spear-phishing cell phone calls. Two sorts:

[ol]
[li] “Due to suspicious activity, your debit card has been suspended.” Wants you to speak to an operator who will no doubt ask for bank info.[/li][li] “Go to <URL> and login to claim your cash prize!” These are purportedly from Verizon, though we are not Verizon customers. Again, trying to get account info from the unwary.[/li][/ol]

Old cons, new tech. Good times.

And not 5 minutes after I posted, I got another of the second type of call. The amount of the offer increases each time (started at $55, now up to $125). Clever.

Caller ID shows the call from (800) 000-0000, BTW. That seems totally legit, right?

So they’re now offering you more than before? Take it and run!

I know, right? But I’ve searched the 'tubes, and I know that the offers sometimes get as high as $625, so I’m being patient. It’s like buying penny stocks–you have to be in for the long haul. :wink:

The other day I got a typical Nigerian prince scam email, except it was from a US soldier currently serving in Iraq. I thought that was a clever little twist that might be more likely to work on certain people.

It was? How do you know? Was it the return address? How do you know that the person whose name is on the return address really sent it (voluntarily or not)? Do you know how much spam works to generate addresses?

I think you’ve just been Whooshed.

I certainly hope so.