Wanted: a hone in the shadow of the Mountain(s) of Doom.

Is there any place so named in the Real World that has human habitation near it (right up against it)? The closest place name I can think of to match that oft-used name in Fantasy literature is Devil’s Tower in Wyoming, but I don’t think people are allowed to live right up against it, right? Besides which, I really want Doom.

Argh, that’s a typo for “home” in the OP subject line, of course.

Devil’s Tower is a National Monument encompassing more than 1,300 acres. You could not have a house really close to it, but there is a campground.

Well there are the Shadow Mountains in the Mojave Desert which would be close to the Ephel Dúath, and there is Doom Mountain on Vancouver Island but it lacks that certain something that screams ash, death and lava.

Kentucky has Doom Chapel, Dooms Chapel, Doom Spring, Dooms Spring, Doom Spring Branch and Doom Cemetery. There’s Doom, New Mexico, and Doom Run, Pennsylvania. There’s another Dooms Spring in Texas, as well as a Dooms Island. There’s also Dooms, Virginia.

To look for more try here:
Here.

Would you accept Misery Mountain? I live less than a half-hour away, and there’s plenty of private land around here.

I alway thought that the Netherlands sounds kinda ominous, we have a town called Helmond(hell mouth)

Does Buffij live there?

You can live pretty close to Mount Diablo, but it’s not very threatening looking.

I’m pretty sure you can live pretty close to Drakensberg, Dragon Mountain in South Africa.

An industrious person would know what to do to make where they’re living right now acquire the name of ‘Doom!’

You could move to Hell, Norway

Hmm, Doom Mountain sounds good.

My friend said he lives in the Shadow Hills near LA, which is what prompted me to consider how to one-up him. When I move into that cottage on Mount Doom, he’ll feel like he came over from the Partly Cloudy Plains! Ha ha ha!

You probably won’t be interested in Mount Disappointment.

There’s Froze-To-Death Mountain in Montana.

Not a mountain, but there’s the Devil’s Beeftub in the Scottish Borders. As I recall, there’s a farmhouse, not in it, but close to the entrance.

Well… if we’re going with devil-related non-mountains, it’s hard to beat Diablo Canyon. Of course, you can’t live there because they built a nuclear power plant in it, so you’ll have to settle for working there.

A shorter trip with no language issues: Hell, Michigan.

Unfortunately, Mount Doom (Ngauruhoe) is in a national park, so you can’t get a house there.

You could get a place pretty near Hells Gate, Rotorua, NZ, though. Hope you like the smell of brimstone.

Perhaps you could find building materials near Devil’s Postpile

Hell, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.