If I liked The Name of the Wind, then I would like...

Just finished reading the second book in the Kingkiller Series by Patrick Rothfuss. I loved it! I liked the first book a little better than the second, but I think the series as a whole is excellent so far. That being said, it will probably be a year before the final book is released and I need to find something else in the meantime. Any suggestions?

I’ve read all of:
A Song of Ice and Fire.
The Wheel of Time
Dragonlance Chronicles
Lord of the Rings
Xanth series
The series that starts with Wizards First Rule
Most if the Forgotten Realms books.

So, I’m hoping I can get a few suggestions. I’ve been told to read Abercrombe. Anyone read his books? Thanks.

The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams.

Dragonbone Chair
Stone of Farewell
To Green Angel Tower

have at 'em.

Forgot to mention that I have read the Tad Williams series as well. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.

Anything by Brandon Sanderson (I highly recommend The Emperor’s Soul or Legion as excellent short stories that will give you an idea whether you wish to continue on to his Mistborn series and beyond.)

You could also check out Raymond Feist’s Magician books (read the first 4 and then read the Empire trilogy he wrote with Janny Wurts). If you like those you can decide to go on through the series which goes downhill but stayed a good enough quality that I kept reading right through the recently released end of the series.

Try Lois McMaster Bujold’s fantasies: The Spirit Ring, The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming. I go through books very fast.

Big fat yes to Abercrombie. You’ll want to read the trilogy, so to make it easy – The First Law Trilogy

Ok. Went to the bookstore and picked First Law book 1 and 2, as well as, book 1 of Mistborn. That should get me started. Any more would be appreciated.

Robin Hobb’s books - you’ll need to read them in order, and I’d avoid the Soldier’s Son trilogy unless you really enjoy reading about a guy who keeps on getting his ass kicked by Fate, but all the other trilogies are really good.

Guy Gavriel Kay - try one at first to see if you like his sometimes very emotional writing style. Skip Fionavar Tapestry though.

Celia Friedman’s Coldfire trilogy, maybe. I also liked K. J. Parker’s Scavenger trilogy, but didn’t much care for the next two trilogies after that.

And of course Pratchett if you want more comedy with your fantasy. If you like them and haven’t yet read 'em, you’ll have enough reading for a while. :slight_smile:

I agree that Pratchett’s great reading, but he hadn’t got a handle on his first few Discworld books. Don’t let that put you off.

How about Scott Lynch’s “Gentlemen Bastard” series - The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas under Red Skies are the first two of a planned seven, the third comes out next month.

Seconding these - the main character is actually very similar to Name of the Wind’s protagonist.

Yes, should’ve mentioned that. Pratchett fans tend to disagree which book is the best to start with but most of them agree it isn’t the Colour of Magic. I started with Guards, Guards! and it worked fine for me.

I’ve tried The Color of Magic and could NOT get into it. Is it ok to skip to another book?

Please do. As suggested above, Guards, Guards is a fine place to start, as is Small Gods or Wyrd sisters. You can backfill later, if you want.

Cool. I wasn’t sure if they were serial or not.

Sort of. Here’s a linear reading guide by general subject: Discworld reading order guide.

I’d not start the Wizard series until Interesting Times, myself. Nor the Witch series until Wyrd sisters.

The Death series is one of my faves, but Mort is a little shaky. Even so, it’s a good book.

You could try the Godless World trilogy by Brian Ruckley.
It gets mixed reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Or the Chathrand Voyage quartet by Robert V.S. Ridick, with begins with The Red Wolf Conspiracy, which is mainly set on a ginormously large ancient sailing ship…
Also enjoyed book one of the Acacia trilogy by David Anthony Durham, called The War with the Mein. Not got on to the other volumes yet, though.

The original "Earth Sea Trilogy by Ursala Le Guin. They are simple and powerful and filled with wonderful symbolism. I did like the following books that were written decades later. The author seemed to retcon the original works to be more politically correct.

The first three books of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant after the the first three I felt the books lost their way.

One of my favorites is the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (he of Dresden fame).

It’s a fun series - it uses, quite deliberately, just about every fantasy trope one can possibly think of. :smiley: Despite that (or perhaps because of that) it’s a lot of fun to read.

I second Guy Gavriel Kay. I thought both Under Heaven and **The Last Light of the Sun **were stunning books that continue to haunt long after the book is over. **Ysabel **was just okay, though I’ve heard others loved it.

I’m currently reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Witches, vampires, and daemons in modern day Oxford. Not a whiff of “Twilight,” thank heaven. But may more of a “chick” book, since there is a strong, somewhat fanatastical romance theme amid all the spells and terrific historical references and good writing. I’m trying to not let it interfere with my enjoyment of the rest of the story.

Have you tried Steven Brust? His Vlad Talthos series is lighter fare but good (Vlad is an wise-cracking assassin with a flying poisonous dragon-like reptile as a familiar). I think Jhereg is the first one. I enjoyed the first five books very much. Got a little repetitious after that for me.