The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

The Simpsons' 'Mrs. Krabappel' has died

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/ma...154712041.html

The Emmy-winning actress would have been 71 on November 1.
Advertisements  
Old 10-26-2013, 12:17 PM

I'll always remember her as Bob Newhart's secretary. She was the perfect outgoing, always laughing comic counterpart to Newhart's dry, grumpy psychiatrist.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
I'll always remember her as Bob Newhart's secretary. She was the perfect outgoing, always laughing comic counterpart to Newhart's dry, grumpy psychiatrist.
Yes, she was Carol first and most memorably for us oldsters .

Thanks for the laughs, Marcia.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I think I'll go and re-watch Bart the Lover.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 PM

bye Mrs. K
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I saw the picture with the caption about Mrs Krabapple, for as much as I watch The Simpson's I don't think I ever realized that was her. Every time I see her, it's always "Hey, it's Carol from The Bob Newhart Show".
Old 10-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Ha!

(sorry, couldn't resist. RIP Mrs. W.)
Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

As much as I loved her on The Bob Newhart Show, I was (and am) a huge fan of Match Game. She was great in her many appearances on that. Very funny.

May she rest in peace.

Last edited by gwendee; 10-26-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 10-26-2013, 01:29 PM

D'awwww! She was brilliant and funny on Bob Newhart, and I had a crush on her. She was Carol first, but I always loved her as Mrs. K. too. R.I.P. Marcia. There's something in my eye now. Dang this dust!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:32 PM

This is sad. I really liked her on Bob Newhart and the Simpsons. Maybe Bart will have to move on to the 5th grade now.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Wait a minute. Bart's teacher is named Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandall. Why didn't someone tell me? Oh, I've been making an idiot out of myself!
-- Homer
Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Does this mean that Ned Flanders will become a widower for the second time (Edna Krapappel-Flanders married Ned a while back)
Old 10-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Does this mean that Ned Flanders will become a widower for the second time (Edna Krapappel-Flanders married Ned a while back)
Probably; Holidays of Future Passed revealed that Homer accidently killed her and Ned remarried Maude's ghost. Wallace also played the sassy maid in That's My Bush!.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM

She was great in That's My Bush! too.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:06 PM

In the recent thread speculating about a long term character that was going to leave the show that was being rumored, I was among those that speculated that Mrs. Krabappel was the one due to Ms Wallace's age and health.

Did they ever refer to her as Mrs. Flanders in the show?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
In the recent thread speculating about a long term character that was going to leave the show that was being rumored, I was among those that speculated that Mrs. Krabappel was the one due to Ms Wallace's age and health.

Did they ever refer to her as Mrs. Flanders in the show?
Yeah, when I saw the title of this thread I thought they'd decided that Edna Krabappel was the character who was going to die. What a sad surprise to see it was actually the actress who's gone. She was always great - I grew up on Nick-at-Nite reruns of The Bob Newhart Show. RIP.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 PM

I knew her from Bob Newhart too. Funny lady. R.I.P.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:19 PM

According to this CNN report, the 'we will retire a character' promotion had nothing to do with Wallace's health:

Quote:
Jean said rumors that the show had already planned to retire Wallace's character are not true, he added.
"Marcia's passing is unrelated and again, a terrible loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing her," Jean said.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/showbi...-wallace-obit/

She was such a skillful comic actress. I'm glad so much of her work is preserved on video.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:48 PM

For some reason, after the Simpsons and Bob Newhart Show, the thing I most remember her for is doing a guest appearance on the terrible 90's syndicated sitcom "What A Dummy", a show about a family with a living ventriloquist dummy (it was even worse than it sounds).

RIP in Peace, Mrs. K.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM

I remember her in an episode of Taxi where Latka's wive setup the cast with their dream dates. Rev Jim's dream was with Carol, from the Bob Newhart Show.

RIP Carol Kestner Bondurant
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I remember her in an episode of Taxi where Latka's wive setup the cast with their dream dates. Rev Jim's dream was with Carol, from the Bob Newhart Show.
Not Carol, his dream date was with Marcia. Reverend Jim was spacey, but not so much so that he didn't realize that The Bob Newhart Show was fiction. But he was a huge fan and didn't know why Marcia's character wasn't featured more prominently.

I suppose it wouldn't have been out of the question. Some TV shows are set in the same fictional universe, but Taxi and The Bob Newhart Show are not.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Whoa, for real? Damn, it's been a long time since I've watched this show.

Anyway, RIP Marcia Wallace.

Last edited by joebuck20; 10-26-2013 at 08:48 PM..
Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Trivia: She was on The Simpsons from the very beginning. The very first episode made, Bart the Genius*, featured her not only as Mrs. Krabapple but also as Bart's teacher at the gifted school.

*Technically it was the second episode made because the first, Some Enchanted Evening, was of such poor animation quality that it was sent back to be redone and didn't air until the end of season one...
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Didn't know it was her voice on the Simpsons but always thought it sounded familiar. Dang.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

She definitely will be missed on The Simpsons. My condolences to Ned, Rod & Tod.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

Quote:
This. Not being a Simpsons fan, my reaction to the headline was, "Oh, that's too bad." When I figured out it was Marcia, my reaction was a heartfelt, "Awwww, shit!"

Her turn on Murphy Brown was television brilliance.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

When the local news radio station first reported this, the newscaster referred to "Mrs. (long pause) Crab Apple."

Obviously not a Simpsons fan.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Annie View Post
When the local news radio station first reported this, the newscaster referred to "Mrs. (long pause) Crab Apple."

Or possibly a big Simpsons fan: I remember hearing on the Simpsons DVD commentary that the joke was that people would think her name was Crab Apple. The writers were always surprised that no one seemed to notice.

Probably, though, they just didn't know the character.

Incidentally, I don't think they should retire or kill off Edna. I don't think it would be disrespectful to Wallace's memory to get a new voice actor, and I would think most people would want their characters to live on. One of the voice actors for South Park died early in that show's run (I believe she voiced Kyle's mom) and though they didn't have the characters she played on for a few episodes, eventually they replaced her.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Annie View Post

I heard the overnight national ABC radio news also call the character "crab apple".
Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers01 View Post
Or possibly a big Simpsons fan: I remember hearing on the Simpsons DVD commentary that the joke was that people would think her name was Crab Apple. The writers were always surprised that no one seemed to notice.
Yeah, although years & years later one of the students (Milhouse gone bad I think) finally calls her that, and Nelson goes, "Crab-apple!?! I never thought of that!", they actually first briefly mentioned it in the great second season episode One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish where Homer thinks he's going to die because he's eaten fugu poison. The inexperienced assistant chef had to prepare it because the head chef is outside making out with Mrs. Krabapple in her car. You don't actually see her but he clearly says, "Oh Miss Crab-apple!", the joke being he spoke in broken Chinese 'Engrish' and yet he got that right!

Quote:
Incidentally, I don't think they should retire or kill off Edna. I don't think it would be disrespectful to Wallace's memory to get a new voice actor, and I would think most people would want their characters to live on. One of the voice actors for South Park died early in that show's run (I believe she voiced Kyle's mom) and though they didn't have the characters she played on for a few episodes, eventually they replaced her.
That was Mary Kay Bergman (and it was Cartman's mom). She did a lot of VO work before doing South Park. In fact, because she worked for Disney voicing Snow White, she briefly used the pseudonym 'Shannon Cassidy' when she started on South Park. She was afraid that because SP was so offensive it might have cost her her Disney job. She suffered from life-long clinical depression and shot herself right at the height of SP-mania (right after the film came out). Fortunately she deliberately voiced Mrs. Cartman, who for quite a awhile was a crack-whore slut, in a generic 50s, sweet, 'apple pie-baking' mom voice. The woman who took over replicated it near perfectly.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulsed Brainstem View Post

Her turn on Murphy Brown was television brilliance.
That's what I came in to say.

RIP Marcia.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
That was Mary Kay Bergman (and it was Cartman's mom). She did a lot of VO work before doing South Park. In fact, because she worked for Disney voicing Snow White, she briefly used the pseudonym 'Shannon Cassidy' when she started on South Park. She was afraid that because SP was so offensive it might have cost her her Disney job. She suffered from life-long clinical depression and shot herself right at the height of SP-mania (right after the film came out). Fortunately she deliberately voiced Mrs. Cartman, who for quite a awhile was a crack-whore slut, in a generic 50s, sweet, 'apple pie-baking' mom voice. The woman who took over replicated it near perfectly.
[OT]Mary Kay Bergman did play most of the female characters on South Park. She played Liane Cartman, Sheila Broflovski, Sharon Marsh, Shelly, Mrs. MacCormack, Wendy, and Ms. Crabtree.[/OT]
Old 10-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

I was very sad to hear this. Mrs. Krabappel was one of my favorite characters on the show- when I started watching the Simpsons she reminded me of some of the most apathetic, soul-dead teachers I'd had. Unlike them she did at least have a twisted sense of humor and once in a while a human side. I've had mixed feelings on the way a lot of the Simpsons characters have changed over the years - sometimes when they gain complexity the core of the character gets a little diluted - but Skinner and Krabappel were great together, and I found I was very happy for Mrs. K when she got a chance to be happy with Flanders. That was an inspired pairing, I thought. The writing was usually great but I think it was Wallace's performance that made you believe this cynical character really had a soul and that made you root for her. She deserved a break after teaching Bart for 25 years. I assume she recorded the rest of the season's worth of episodes, give or take, but at some point it's going to be very different when Bart is in class.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Yeah, it's going to be a lot harder to dodge the issue like they did Phil Hartman's characters or Lunchlady Doris. Of course depending on the recording schedule it's unlikely to be an issue until late in next season.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
Wait a minute. Bart's teacher is named Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandall. Why didn't someone tell me? Oh, I've been making an idiot out of myself!
-- Homer

D'Oh!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
When I saw the picture with the caption about Mrs Krabapple, for as much as I watch The Simpson's I don't think I ever realized that was her. Every time I see her, it's always "Hey, it's Carol from The Bob Newhart Show".

Ditto. RIP, Marcia.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm curious if they'll re-voice her character. As far as I can remember The Simpsons has never done that even with secondary semi-regular characters. Apu's wife Manjula was originally done by SNL-vet Jan Hooks. Sometimes she's come back and voiced her but more often they've just had Tress MacNeile do her. When Phil Hartman died they retired both Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz (they made Gil the lawyer) out of respect for him. Of course his death was extra tragic. And of course the reverse happened with Maude Flanders. The actress who voiced her, Maggie Roswell, just wanted a small raise to cover her plane fare but the studio decided to kill off her character instead!

Personally I just can't picture anyone else doing Mrs Krabapple's voice...
Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
I'm curious if they'll re-voice her character.
They've said they won't. They actually unretired Lunchlady Doris a while ago (with Tress MacNeille doing the voice), and since they only did it a couple of times and none of them were all that crucial, I don't know why they bothered.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Trivia: She was on The Simpsons from the very beginning. The very first episode made, Bart the Genius*, featured her not only as Mrs. Krabapple but also as Bart's teacher at the gifted school.

*Technically it was the second episode made because the first, Some Enchanted Evening, was of such poor animation quality that it was sent back to be redone and didn't air until the end of season one...
Bart the Genius wasn't the first aired, though. That was Simpsons Roasting On an Open Fire. (Discounting the Ullman shorts, obviously)
Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
And of course the reverse happened with Maude Flanders. The actress who voiced her, Maggie Roswell, just wanted a small raise to cover her plane fare but the studio decided to kill off her character instead!.
Marcia Mitzman Gaven voiced Maude in a few episodes before they killed the latter off.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Could her name be added to the thread title for those of us who don't watch The Simpsons and have no idea who Mrs Krabappel is? I'm sure there are more than just me.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 AM

Another oldster who remembers her from the Bob Newhart Show. Her character was one of the reasons that show was so memorable. RIP, "Carol."
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM

the next new episode, where the could stick an "in memorium" in the credits will be November 3, "Four Regrettings and a Funeral".
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM

If that's the episode where they kill off another, different character, maybe not. In fact, I wonder if they'll reschedule. Assuming they're able.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 PM

My first recollection of Marcia Wallace is actually from the "Merv Griffin Show", where she was a fairly frequent guest, and could be counted on to make risque remarks and puns. RIP to a fun personality and distinctive voice.

Last edited by Maserschmidt; 10-29-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 PM

I'm a bit surprised she hasn't been mentioned on MeTV, which airs reruns of the "Bob Newhart Show." When a celebrity on one of the shows they air passes away, they usually run an "In Memoriam" notice.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
Marcia Mitzman Gaven voiced Maude in a few episodes before they killed the latter off.
Did she? I know she voiced Roswell's other characters (e.g. Miss Hoover, Helen Lovejoy), but I thought the reason they killed off Maude was because Roswell wasn't doing the voice any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I'm a bit surprised she hasn't been mentioned on MeTV, which airs reruns of the "Bob Newhart Show." When a celebrity on one of the shows they air passes away, they usually run an "In Memoriam" notice.
GSN will be airing a "tribute" on November 1 from 8 AM to noon Eastern - four episodes of CBS-era Match Game, two of Password Plus, and two of The $100,000 Pyramid.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM

Also, tonight MeTV will be running two episodes of "Bob Newhart" centering around Carol.

"The Crash of 29 Years Old"

Quote:
Feeling unfulfilled as a woman, and having just passed her 29th birthday, Carol quits her job as Bob's receptionist. After having been gone for a while, Carol suddenly shows up at one of Bob's group-therapy sessions and creates a situation in which Bob finds himself more of a patient than a doctor.

"Carol's Wedding"

Quote:
A blind-date-initiated, 12-hour romance culminates in Carol Kester's civil marriage to a handsome travel agent.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 PM
SDSAB

Very sorry to hear she died. Most uncromulent.