Norton Safe Web reports Straight Dope is secure.

I was a little surprised because there has been occasional malware issues from ads here. But Norton Safe Web reports no problems. I’m not sure if this based on Norton’s analysis or just user reports.

I think that “report” gave you spyware. Quick, unplug your computer before it spreads!

It may also interest people to know that I called the TSA and asked if the SDMB was on its “do not fly” list and they said that it wasn’t. I know, I couldn’t believe it either!

I just called the FDA, and guys… I have bad news about the nutritional content of this message board.

I should point out that in case anyone is wondering, to the best of my knowledge the SDMB is not licensed to operate as a horse-racing facility where gambling is allowed.

Norton and McAfee both have included security web reports that appear as icons next to the google results.

Identity theft and malware are such problems these days. The SDMB got malware issues just a few months ago. Getting security reports on web sites before clicking them is reassuring. I do wonder what kind of scanning they do and how effective it is.

That’s the occational bit of spam but mainly the sugar, vinegar, spices, etc. for the BBQ.

You probably shouldn’t operate heavy machinery while taking SDMB. If problems persist, tell your doctor.

Securi SiteCheck is as reliable as these things may be. Add the site to this url for Google testing:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=xxxxxxxx.xxx

I don’t run anti-malware personally, but never had much confidence in Norton.

Actually, looking up that, I came across a Google report on itself: however dubious many Google practices, no-one can say they aren’t honest.

[spoiler]*What is the current listing status for google.com?

This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 20 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 1390863 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1230 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-12-02, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2013-12-02.

Malicious software includes 278 trojan(s), 246 exploit(s), 126 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 5 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 185 domain(s), including earnmoneydo.com/, gilmoregirlspodcast.com/, markforge.biz/.

129 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including journaldugeek.com/, x-cornerz.com/, thepullbox.com/.

This site was hosted on 3 network(s) including AS15169 (GOOGLE), AS43515 (YOUTUBE), AS1221 (TELSTRA).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, google.com appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 59 site(s) including carleton.ca/, realmomkitchen.com/, bit.ly/.

Has this site hosted malware?

Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 34 domain(s), including joomfa.org/, burguscircus.free.fr/, philkearnycwrt.org/.

What is the current listing status for google.com?

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 20 time(s) over the past 90 days.

Of the 1390863 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1230 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-12-02, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2013-12-02.

Malicious software includes 278 trojan(s), 246 exploit(s), 126 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 5 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 185 domain(s), including earnmoneydo.com/, gilmoregirlspodcast.com/, markforge.biz/.

129 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including journaldugeek.com/, x-cornerz.com/, thepullbox.com/.

This site was hosted on 3 network(s) including AS15169 (GOOGLE), AS43515 (YOUTUBE), AS1221 (TELSTRA).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, google.com appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 59 site(s) including carleton.ca/, realmomkitchen.com/, bit.ly/.

Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 34 domain(s), including joomfa.org/, burguscircus.free.fr/, philkearnycwrt.org/.

What is the current listing status for google.com?

Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 34 domain(s), including joomfa.org/, burguscircus.free.fr/, philkearnycwrt.org/.*[/spoiler]

I called the FBI and asked if they have a file on the SDMB and they said “We do now”.

Incidentally, they did tell me to stop asking about that white van on public message boards.

I, for one, have disabled the SDMB airbag… so I have that going for me.

The CDC does not currently list travel concerns for Chicago.

I checked with the local Fire Department and they said the server room isn’t on fire.

I checked with Bell, Biv, and also Devoe, and they said that though the girl is still poison, we should all be safe.

waves geiger counter around

Did Tone Loc have anything to say about the situation?

Well I asked him why the SDMB was so fly. He said, Funky Cold Medina.

I called the White House and asked to speak to the President, and they said he wasn’t available. What are they trying to cover up?

I think we might be in trouble. 1.00 Geiger is pretty high, isn’t it?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=34447

We’re not allowed to tell you about that. Needless to say, we’re not allowed to tell you why. If you continue to ask the question, we are allowed to bring you in, for ‘obvious’ reasons. Prepare yourself for the ‘rubber hoses’… Muahahahaha.