Dishonored 75% $7.49
Assetto Corsa 25% $29.99
The Stanley Parable 40% $8.99

Flash sales
Killing Floor 75% $4.49
System Shock 2 75% $2.49
Sanctum 2 80% $2.99
Skullgirls 50% $7.49

Bah. Finally bought the Stanley Parable for $15 last week, now it’s on sale. I knew I should have waited.

Probably time to pick up Bioshock Infinite. Maybe Dishonored as well.

Question about Dishonored: I hear good things about it, but I’m not sure if it’s up my alley. I’ve heard it compared to Prototype, which I quit in disgust after a few hours (I don’t want to be forced to kill civilians, which this game makes pretty inevitable, and the combat all felt like button-mashing after awhile), but I’ve also I think heard it compared to Batman: Arkham Origins, which I loved. I like pretty games, I like story-heavy games, I like games with lots of three-dimensional movement; am I likely to enjoy this one?

What?
It is nothing like either of those games. It is far more like the Thief franchise.

You sneak around, pick up loot, ambush guards, move their unconscious/dead bodies out of other guards’ patrol paths, find secret passages, etc.

Also, re: the killing civilians, it’s possible to finish the game without killing anyone.

It’s pretty, it’s very story-heavy and the maps are very three-dimensional with roofs and sewers and pipes. And you don’t have to kill anybody at all if that’s how you want to play it - there’s an achievement Clean Hands for finishing the game with zero kills. I killed a few hundred enemies (and maybe half a dozen civilians) but that’s just how I roll. You even get a better ending if you show restraint.

My only issue with it was its short length but if you opt for less lethal playthrough it’ll most likely take longer than my 13-14 hours. I’d recommend buying it, it’s a great and lovingly crafted game with careful attention to details.

I’m getting Metal Gear Rising: Revenge and a game that was on my wishlist for $0.99 called Unstoppable Gorg.

Though, in my experience, only if you’re willing to replay each area multiple times until you learn the patterns of the enemies’ movements.

Which is not to disagree; I’m just saying, it’s not an equal challenge to regular “kill people” gameplay. It’s quite a bit more difficult.

Dishonored would fall somewhere in the Deus Ex and Thief style of game, I would say. I just wish the DLC would go on sale for cheaper than the GOTY edition.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is $1.99 on Amazon through tomorrow in case you wanted to see what a two dollar train wreck looks like.

Umm, yeah, your friends were bullshitting you. It’s much closer to Thief, Deus Ex:Human Revolution, Vampire:Bloodlines, Metal Gear Solid, those sorts of games.

First person, special powers available to you, one mission objective to complete, lots of guards in the way, many many ways to work through the problem. You can avoid them all, or try to shoot everybody, or creep up on them and quietly dispatch them one by one in *Batman *fashion etc…
But it is a pretty game. And it is a story-heavy game although much like Thief, much of the story is told in bits and snippets (like through eavesdropped conversations, notes left lying around, that sort of thing) and it’s up to you to figure it out or miss out on it. And there is a lot of 3D movement since the protagonist’s main and first power is short-to-mid-ranged teleportation. So you always want to stay alert for beams, platforms, air ducts, ledges, balconies, open windows… above you, as they’ll often allow you to evade pursuit, or slip by guards, or slip in unnoticed or find hidden phat lewtz. Exploration is very much rewarded.

Not necessarily. It is possible to ghost (or Lytha, as old timers might say ;)) through all of the levels if you’re the patient type.

But you can also get the no kill achievements by restricting yourself to non-lethal takedowns and sleepy darts ; and figuring out the special, non-lethal way to dispatch each of your story targets.
Playing this way you do pass out on like 50% of the powers and tools, since those tend to be lethal. Then again, TP+chokehold+sleepy darts+time stop+rat possession gets you a hell of a long way beyond our old friend Garrett. So while it’s a bit harder than playing in a Welcome to my Murderdome fashion, not *all that *harder.

My first playthrough on Dishonored (and the DLC) was almost completely bloodless. I tried to never be spotted but that proved to be way too difficult, so instead I always took the bad guys out in the most nonlethal ways possible.

Today’s daily deals:

Nether 40% $11.99
Omerta: City of Gangsters 75% $9.99
Fez 75% $2.49
Far Cry 3 75% $7.49
Chivalry Medieval Warfare 75% $8.49
Total War: Shogun 2 75% $7.49
Crysis 2 75% $7.49
Train Simulator 2014 82% $9.89
Final Fantasy VII 66% $4.03

Is there a way to be notified of game deals? I’d be interested if Borderlands went on sale.

If it’s on your wishlist, you’re supposed to get an e-mail about it.

edit: may be a bit wonky about distinguishing between the general sale and specific sales, though.

Yeah, I put the Borderlands games on my Steam wishlist when I found out Telltale was doing a game for that setting. I might as well blow through them on easy to get a feel for the world. Previously, the wishlist has resulted in my being informed about sales.

Got it. Thanks!

Are we going to be posting other holiday sales here or just Steam?

We should post all of them (gaming related) IMO. What other sites are there though? gog.com and digital.gamefly.com are the only ones I know about that sell games over the internet without physical media.

Amazon does too.

FORCED 30% $10.49
Ace of Spades: Battle Builder 75% $3.74
Darksiders II 80% $9.99
STAR WARS®: Knights of the Old Republic™ II 50% $4.99
Age of Empires II HD 75% $4.99
The Wolf Among Us 33% $16.74
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 75% $3.74
Sleeping Dogs 80% $4.99
StarForge 58% $8.49

Flash sales
The Binding of Isaac 75% $1.24