Checked a BIG one off my Bucket List last week (Pilot stuff)

I’m sitting with the remains of my holdback bar*, my honorary Tailhooker certificate… and a big grin on my face. :smiley:

Last week for various reasons, it became apparent I would be spending a few days on a carrier. One of the emails from the Navy liaison mentioned I shouldn’t make the trip if I had back or neck problems. In response to my “Whaaa?” he replied “Sir, the carrier’s already at sea. We’re flying you out there.” And went on to state there’d be an arresting wire landing, followed by a catapult launch to get back home. I don’t remember what I did at work for the rest of the day. Anyway, I got to ride a C2 onto the carrier, and they even provided a picture of “my” landing (I was in back holding on for dear life). A day later, I got to ride the catapult off the deck for the trip back to land.

Wow! Whatever you’ve imagined a carrier launch would be like… it’s more. Much more. I never thought I’d get to do this, and I"m still as giddy as a schoolkid. :smiley:
*It’s the orange part shown here. The catapult has to break it to hurl the plane off the deck. It ensures enough force for a successful launch.
For those interested, here is a video of a C2 landing, and here is a catapult launch. I realize it doesn’t like quite as intense as an F-18, but for this old civilian it was the greatest ride ever.

Wow :slight_smile: That is beyond cool.

Thanks! I’m not sure if the grin will ever leave my face. Ever. :slight_smile:

I can see why. Congratulations.

Nice! I’ve got a buddy who used to fly off carriers and he says there is nothing like it. Glad for you!

Glad you got to do that. I never will but I understand why it was on your list.

This.

Freakin’ awesome, I’m supersaturated with jealousy!

Curious, is all the ‘smoke’ emanating from the catapult line residual steam or is it provided as a track marker?

That should be steam. No need to mark the track on such a short distance / short time. You’re going where the catapult takes you.

I’m pretty sure that steam is coming up there is because it looks really cool.

No more steam rising from the cat track on the newest carriers. The catapult on these will be more or less an electromagnetic railgun instead.

Very cool! I would love to do that (and I would pay a lot of money for the experience).

I got to do that on (and off) the USS Carl Vinson when I was stationed in South Korea in 1988. Pure awesomeness!

Were you assigned to the Chucky V or just bounced on & off her once? My bro was embarked with VA-52 in that general timeframe.

Nope, I was assigned to AFKN and the Carl Vinson was there for security during the Olympic Games. I was gathering stories and shooting interviews.

I’ll agree with pullin, it’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and it took a week or two to get the grin off my face.