Deadliest Catch: Fishing Crab and Jumping Sharks

Idiots in rehab, women on the boats, fake “serious” injuries and accidents and general made-up for TV bullshit. What a Goddamn Soap Opera this shit has turned into! Really? Fishing the fucking Bering Sea in winter isn’t enough excitement?

Its record setting heat out here, and my regular afternoon routine is fubar, so I sat in the cool house and turn this shit on, since there is nothing else on. What the fuck?

Probably been real bad for a while, but I’ve not watched it for a while, except for a few of last seasons episodes. Jesus, this shit is bad! How the fuck does this stay on the air?

Excrement.

Compared to all the other “reality” shows, Deadliest Catch isn’t bad. I mean, what else is there?

I don’t watch anything with Elliot. I just skip ahead. He’s an arrogant asshole and not the least bit entertaining.

Well, I take that back… I DID watch the new guy break Elliot’s boom. I laughed, because, hey, that’s what you get when the only person you leave on the boat during an offload is a new guy who knows nothing about the boat.

I was brooding on this the other day. It’s become almost unwatchable. It’s really tiresome listening to deckhands whinge on camera. Every “reality” show seems to go the same trajectory – it starts out being about the thing they are doing and then the producers deem it as not having enough human interest so they start inserting * drama*.

My worst case example of this was Junkyard Wars. The first few seasons were about the build. Then they decided that wasn’t interesting enough so they fiddled with the format and made it about the interpersonal interactions. So we had to waste valuable screen time listening to contestants slag each other’s work ethic.

I can’t stand how they show viewer’s tweets during the episode.

What injuries have been fake?

I think over exaggerated is more like it. During the episode teasers they make it seem like a major calamity occurs, but when the full segment is shown, it is small cut or abrasion.

Yep, I’m pretty much over this show. The episode where Keith pretends that he is not going to let his brother pilot the boat was my final show.

Well, except for the short peek I took last night just to get a look at Sigs daughter because I heard them on NPR yesterday.

It’s just gotten boring and obvious when they’re adding fake drama.

They inserted a fake story into Swamp People this season too. <gasp> Troy announces he’ll retire from catching gators. They dragged it out half the season while his two boys proved they could take over the family business. Then Troy says in the last episode he’ll keep fishing after all. I never bought into that story. Gator season is only one month long. Somebody that is still middle aged and healthy wants to retire from a high income, 30 day a year job? Seems unlikely. I expect that he will cut back on his hours. Let the 2 boys do more of the work.

Deadliest Catch is a great show. They’ve let some unnecessary drama creep in. But its still pretty real. The previews are often misleading. They give the impression a regular cast member got badly hurt. But whats in the episode is different. Stupid tv advertising. All the shows seem to do that.

The Sig’s daughter story seemed like a stunt. She was out there on deck working, but I seriously doubt she worked the same 18 hour shifts. She’s never had that exhausted, dead eye look that greenhorns usually get.

Ironically, Elliot has been involved in one of the few real emergencies this season. Another non-show crab boat ran aground, Elliot was first on the scene and rescued the crew. After some idiot didn’t tie the line to the survival raft, so they had to send another crew member over in a survival suit with another line.

But yeah, the story line with Sig’s daughter sucks, and the tweets make it worse, supporting Sig when he starts babying her. If she can’t handle the deck, send her home, don’t let her drive the boat instead.

The swear jar thing was amusing.

The problem with the show is it’s just the same thing over and over. They drop pots, they haul pots, they sort crab (or not), rinse, repeat. I watch it on Netflix and the only genuinely compelling thing to happen in the entire series was Phil dying.

Yeah, the Mrs. and I finally called off watching the show this season. A classic show, but it just no longer seems so compelling. A pity.

I haven’t really been following this show lately…the episodes were just piling up.

Sounds like my DVR’s hard drive failure last night wasn’t such a bad thing after all.

I wrote a very similar version of this OP at the start of Season four in 2008.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=466140&highlight=deadliest+catch

Speaking of “reality” shows, has anyone watched Discovery Channel’s “Chrome Underground”? That one should be re-classified as a sit-com: so obviously scripted that it’s actually funny!

The Stig has a daughter?

Some say, She wouldn’t step within a hundred miles of the Northwestern if there weren’t cameras rolling… and that Edgar is tattooed on the inside of her labia…
All we know is …she’s called …

DAUGHTER OF THE SIG!

You think that is bad? There is an upcoming reality show called ‘Escaping Alaska’ where Native youths have to lie to family/friends to leave rural Alaska or be branded traitors.

People back home scoff at the tv apot and worry about how the kids will cope after the show is done.

What’s the name of the other Alaska show? The one where there is supposed to be this long lost family living in the Alaskan wilderness? They have been away from civilization for so long they have their own accent? As the voice over is saying this there is film of the family shooting guns and wearing manufactured clothes. They can’t be completely cut off if they are buying guns, ammo and clothing.

Alaskan Bush People…

I don’t think they claim to be “long lost” but that they have lived more or less off the grid.

They go into small towns to trade and barter.

I’m sure there is an element of exaggeration and misrepresentation on that show like all the other stuff Discovery has been putting out the last couple of years.

Only the younger kids have the strange accent, and for some reason, I don’t think that part is being faked. You can’t help but to like those kids a little bit, they are kind of goofy, but very likable.