How do I sell a vehicle in a private sale with no license plate?

I am buying a new car and selling my old car on my own. I’ll be transferring the license plate to the new car. How can I sell the old car (and let someone test drive it) if there is no plate on it?

I’m sure this is done frequently. Do folks just take their chances and drive around without a plate?

Thanks,
mmm

check your state department of motor vehicle.

in states where the plate stays with the seller then a piece of paper (registration) is transfered along with the vehicle. it’s up to the new owner to follow the law, like they may have a few days to get plates (temporary or not).

ianamv, ianac, ianat, ianalp

I’ve done it several times. No big deal as long as the buyer receives something from you documenting the sale.

If you wanted to do so you could get a temp tag from the dealer and use it on your new car until you sell the old one. Then take your old plate to the DMV and have it registered to your new car.

Thanks, but I’m asking about letting a potential buyer test drive the car when there are no plates.

Once the sale is complete it is up to the buyer to figure out how to get it home.
mmm

Counting DC, there’s 51 answers to this question, so you might want to let us know where you are.

In general in most “plates follow the owner” states, you’d need to buy a second set of plates. You might be able to buy a temporary tag or get a partial refund on the second registration, but if you’re still driving it (even just for test drives) you probably do need something to remain fully legal.

In some states (notably CA) the buyer can drive around without plates for 30 days so long as they have a (less than 30 day old) bill of sale in the car. But that would only be relevant after the car is sold, not while you’re trying to sell it.

Well, I’m not sure about your locale, but in TX, you’d need a private road or a big parking lot that you had trailered the car to. If it’s got an engine, and it’s on the road here, it needs valid tags and inspection. Without them, the police can (but not always will) issue a ticket.

Although that doesn’t count for the OP, as California license plates stay with the car (unless personalized?). And in states where they do stay with the owner, it’s not the seller’s responsibility.

Check smog requirements, if applicable, as well.

In Michigan the plates stay with the seller, not the vehicle. It is legal to drive an unregistered vehicle home or to “the first place of storage” within three days of sale as long as the new owner has the properly assigned title and proof of insurance. Not sure, but l am guessing this applies to test driving as well.

In Arizona, you can buy an inexpensive 3-day plate online, and print it out, and stick it in your window.