Is the US pronunciation of "solder" unique to the US ?

I occasionally watch DIY/ home workshop videos on Youtube, and have always been intrigued by the way American artisans pronounce “solder” as “sodder”.

In the UK , anyone who said “I am going to sodder these terminals together” would be looked at askance (or worse). Over here we pronounce the “l”, so it sounds like “sold-her”.

I am sure that the multi-national membership of TSD will be able to elucidate one way or another whether the US pronunciation is accepted world-wide, or whether the Brit pronunciation is more common.

Maybe some countries follow the US example and others follow the UK … I will be interested to find out.

If anybody could explain WHY Americans don’t pronounce the “l” in solder, well, that would be a bonus …

Could, would, should, salmon…lots of words we don’t pronounce the “l” in.

Same in the UK, and same worldwide.

But “solder” is pronounced two different ways.

Sure, and lots where we do; older, bolder, shoulder, folder…

I guess the answer is the usual: language doesn’t always do what we expect.

It’s like aluminum. We say it/slur it quick and easy.

Yes, but you wouldn’t say “I’ve hurt my shodder”, would you ???

No.

ETA: Methinks you’re trying too hard to make sense of our American pronunciation. Do you enunciate every letter in Featherstonehaugh?

Because it’s not as funny when you call it the “Aluminium Falcon.” :slight_smile:

Well, not really. The pronunciation I usually hear in the US is more like “sauder”, which isn’t really any easier to say than “soul-dur”.

Things I learned from the SDMB today:

There is no such word as sauter (pronounced sotter), meaning to melt metal parts together.

OTOH, my Webster’s lists the pronounciation of solder with no “l”: (sädǝr).

I am hoping that some Canadian, Oz, African etc members will chip in and reveal what their preferred pronunciation is, as well as anyone for whom English is a second language.

No but the etymological history of shoulder vis-a-vis modern english has always retained an -l- sound there. Solder, on the other hand, was soudur in middle english for a long time and the -l- returned in a period of latinate fanaticism (latinaticism) during the 15th century.

edit: I say sawder or sodder as I have that particular vowel merger. I said solder with the L once as a sophomore in college and was promptly laughed out of the scene shop.

Australian here (living in California) - we say “solder.”

How did you solder things in the 14th century? :confused:

Don’t know exactly, but soldering apparently goes back 5000 years. (I mean, all you need is fire and a soldering metal and something to solder, right?)

No more than you would mention using Wor-ces-tir-shire sauce on your sal-is-bury steak while dining in Lei-ces-ter before boarding a train to Glou-ces-tir via Lan-cas-ter-shire.

I haven’t the foggiest. My interest in the subject is almost purely linguistic. Is there such a thing as a metallurgic historian? They might know.

At least in southern Ontario, it is “sodder,” as per the American pronounciation.

Anyone who speaks English really should not express surprise that English pronunciation and spelling are not consistent.

People in the UK pronounce garage as “garridge,” which I find funny and strange, but it’s not wrong, it’s just a regionalism.

Ah , THAT goes a long way to explaining the missing “l” . Thank you.

btw whereabouts is Lancastershire???

I said I was “intrigued”, I didn’t say I was surprised. And I am certainly not criticising (or “criticizing”, even) …