SDMB Weekly Bible Study (SDMBWBS)-Week 51 Exodus 32

Welcome to the SDMB weekly Bible Study (SDMBWBS). This week we will be discussing Exodus 32, which contains The Golden Calf. Since the discussion can turn into a very broad and hijackable thread, we would like the following rules to be adhered to:
[ol]
[li]These SDMBWBS threads are to deal with the books and stories in the Bible as literature. What we hope to achieve is an understanding of the stories, the time in which they were written, their context, and possibly their cultural relevance. [/li][li]While it is up to the individual to choose to believe or disbelieve any portion, that is not to be the discussion of the thread. If you must, please choose to witness/anti-witness in Great Debates. [/li][li]The intention is to go through the Bible from front to back in order. While different books are needed to be referred to in order to understand context, please try and keep the focus on the thread’s selected chapter(s)/verse(s).[/li][li]Since different religions have chosen which books to include or omit, the threads will use the Catholic version of 46 Old Testament Books and 27 New Testament Books. It’s encouraged to discuss why a book was included/omitted during the applicable threads only. BibleHub, as far as I know, is a good resource that compiles many different versions of the verses into one page. (The SDMB Staff Reports on “Who Wrote the Bible” are also a good overview). Please feel free to use whatever source you want, including–and even more helpfully–the original language.[/li][li]Hopefully, we can get through these threads with little to no moderation. As a gentle reminder, if a poster comes in and ignores these rules, please use the “report post” function instead of responding.[/li][/ol]

Links to previous threads:
[ul]
[li]Genesis Threads[/ul][/li]
[ul]
[li]Exodus 1[/li][li]Exodus 2[/li][li]Exodus 3[/li][li]Exodus 4[/li][li]Exodus 5-6[/li][li]Exodus 7-10[/li][li]Exodus 11-12[/li][li]Exodus 13[/li][li]Exodus 14-15[/li][li]Exodus 16-18[/li][li]Exodus 19-20[/li][li]Exodus 21-23[/li][li]Exodus 24[/li][li]Exodus 25-27[/li][li]Exodus 28-30[/li][li]Exodus 31[/li][/ul]

[Exodus 32](Exodus - The Israelites Oppressed - These are - Bible Gateway 32&version=NIV) – New International Version (NIV)

The Golden Calf

32 When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods[SUP][a][/SUP] who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.”

[SUP]2[/SUP]Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.” [SUP]3[/SUP]So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. [SUP]4[/SUP]He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods,[SUP]**[/SUP] Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.”

[SUP]5[/SUP]When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a festival to the LORD.” [SUP]6[/SUP]So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry.

[SUP]7[/SUP]Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. [SUP]8[/SUP]They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’

[SUP]9[/SUP]“I have seen these people,” the LORD said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people. [SUP]10[/SUP]Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation.”

[SUP]11[/SUP]But Moses sought the favor of the LORD his God. “LORD,” he said, “why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand? [SUP]12[/SUP]Why should the Egyptians say, ‘It was with evil intent that he brought them out, to kill them in the mountains and to wipe them off the face of the earth’? Turn from your fierce anger; relent and do not bring disaster on your people. [SUP]13[/SUP]Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.’” [SUP]14[/SUP]Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

[SUP]15[/SUP]Moses turned and went down the mountain with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands. They were inscribed on both sides, front and back. [SUP]16[/SUP]The tablets were the work of God; the writing was the writing of God, engraved on the tablets.

[SUP]17[/SUP]When Joshua heard the noise of the people shouting, he said to Moses, “There is the sound of war in the camp.”

[SUP]18[/SUP]Moses replied:“It is not the sound of victory,
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.”[SUP]19[/SUP]When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain. [SUP]20[/SUP]And he took the calf the people had made and burned it in the fire; then he ground it to powder, scattered it on the water and made the Israelites drink it.

[SUP]21[/SUP]He said to Aaron, “What did these people do to you, that you led them into such great sin?”

[SUP]22[/SUP]“Do not be angry, my lord,” Aaron answered. “You know how prone these people are to evil. [SUP]23[/SUP]They said to me, ‘Make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.’ [SUP]24[/SUP]So I told them, ‘Whoever has any gold jewelry, take it off.’ Then they gave me the gold, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf!”

[SUP]25[/SUP]Moses saw that the people were running wild and that Aaron had let them get out of control and so become a laughingstock to their enemies. [SUP]26[/SUP]So he stood at the entrance to the camp and said, “Whoever is for the LORD, come to me.” And all the Levites rallied to him.

[SUP]27[/SUP]Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.’” [SUP]28[/SUP]The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died. [SUP]29[/SUP]Then Moses said, “You have been set apart to the LORD today, for you were against your own sons and brothers, and he has blessed you this day.”

[SUP]30[/SUP]The next day Moses said to the people, “You have committed a great sin. But now I will go up to the LORD; perhaps I can make atonement for your sin.”

[SUP]31[/SUP]So Moses went back to the LORD and said, “Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. [SUP]32[/SUP]But now, please forgive their sin - but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.”

[SUP]33[/SUP]The LORD replied to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book. [SUP]34[/SUP]Now go, lead the people to the place I spoke of, and my angel will go before you. However, when the time comes for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin.”

[SUP]35[/SUP]And the LORD struck the people with a plague because of what they did with the calf Aaron had made.
Footnotes:

[LIST=a]
[li]Exodus 32:1 Or a god; also in verses 23 and 31[/li][li]Exodus 32:4 Or This is your god; also in verse 8[/li][/LIST]

THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

These Scriptures are copyrighted by the Biblica, Inc.® and have been made available on the Internet for your personal use only. Any other use including, but not limited to, copying or reposting on the Internet is prohibited. These Scriptures may not be altered or modified in any form and must remain in their original context. These Scriptures may not be sold or otherwise offered for sale.

Dex’s Notes:

CH 32 – The Golden Calf

META ANALYSIS: WHAT IS THE SIN?
The text here is deliciously ambiguous. Is the sin making a golden calf to be a god? Or making an image of the One God? (Note how Aaron in v 5 says, “This shall be a festival of the LORD” using the four-lettered Name of God.) The strongest argument is that Aaron made the calf as an image of God, or a throne for God, rather than as an alternative god. There are archaeological finds of Canaanite thrones in the shape of a bull or calf that the king would sit on. So, perhaps the calf is intended to be a visible representation, a pedestal for the invisible God to stand on. Consequently, in v 8, the accusation is not about worshipping “other gods” but about making the calf.

META-ANALYSIS: WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
In any case, the sin is a grievous one. The people Israel have been rescued from slavery and from the Egyptian army, seen signs and wonders, heard God’s voice speaking from the mountain. The symbolism/metaphor of Chapter 20 (Ten Commandments) is that of a wedding, God as groom and Israel as bride, and the instructions include building a house (the Tabernacle) to live in together in exclusive intimacy: the Israelites will have only God as their god, and God will be establish them as a holy people.

And the first thing that the people do is worship an idol, at the very foot of the mountain, on the eve of building their house together. The metaphor is that the bride has been unfaithful, on the very wedding night. It’s therefore not just a sin, but a “great sin.”
SOME SPECIFICS:
Verse 1: Up till now, Moses has been the only mediator between God and Israel, at the urgent request of the people in Ex 20:15-18, who could not stand to hear God’s voice. So, when he’s on the mountain for so long a time, this generates deep anxiety.

The term “this fellow Moses” is derogatory, and “who brought us up out of Egypt” implies “and has now abandoned us.”

The calf (verse 4) is a young ox or bull, a symbol in the Mideast of kings and gods and fertility. It was often deified, or served as the pedestal on which the god stood. So, again, presumably Aaron was building a pedestal for the invisible God of Israel.

Verse 5: The NIV translation “these are your gods” is literal, but makes no sense since there’s only one calf. “This is your god” is not grammatically correct, but the more common translation. The Hebrew word Elohim can mean God or gods, but “these” is clearly plural. I’ve never seen a real explanation.

The people could not have been so stupid as to believe this was actually the god that brought them out of Egypt, they just saw it newly made. The assumption is that they’re trying to worship God, but an unseen God is too difficult and they need a visible image or icon.

In verse 6, the verb “to dance” can mean simply dancing as in Judges 16:25, but in verse 19 here and earlier uses (Gen 26:8 as “caressing” and Gen 39:14-17 as “making sport”) imply sexual activity.

Note verse 7: When the people sin, God speaks of them as “your” people to Moses. When they do well, they’re “My” people. I like this little literary device. Isn’t that the way parents act? “Do you know what your kid did?” There’s also the implication that God may be disowning them, undoing the covenantal (“marriage”) contract.

Verse 8: God says, “They have been quick to turn away from what I have commanded.” He does NOT say, “… to turn away from Me.” They’ve adopted pagan forms of worship, but are still worshipping the God of Israel.

Verse 9: “Stiff-necked” is the common translation, but the literally translation is “turning one’s back” – it’s the opposite of “face-to-face.”

The scenario in verses 7- 14 is presumably God testing Moses. We’ve seen this before when God told Abraham that He was about to destroy Sodom, and Abraham pleaded with God to relent. The other prior example is Noah, who did NOT plead with God to relent. Here, Moses passes the test, he pleads with God to avert destruction (and he will be tested thus three times.)

The phrase “Leave me alone” (verse 10) is supportive of this interpretation, implying that Moses has a choice. He can indeed leave things alone and let the destruction ensue, or he can intervene (and God expects him to), and his intervention can be effective. As a philosophical/theological statement: God is open to human pleas, and prayer can be effective.

Moses makes two arguments for God to spare Israel: (1) What will the Egyptians say? and (2) remember your promises and the covenant. The theological purpose of the Exodus would be undone if God destroys Israel; the whole point was for Egypt (and Israel) to “know” God. Sarna says, “This sensitivity concerning God’s reputation is a recurrent motif in the Bible.”

The poetry of Moses’ arguments echo God’s anger. God says, “your people, whom you brought out of Egypt” and Moses counters, “Your people, whom you brought out of Egypt.” God says, “my anger will burn against them,” and Moses says “Why should your anger burn against them?”

Moses prevails, God relents and punishment is averted, but there is no sign (yet) of God forgiving.

Verse 17 is the third mention of Joshua, who will take over leadership after Moses. He was partway up the mountain (as described in 24:13) so could hear the noise but not see what was happening.

Verses 19ff: Moses, having been an intermediary, now must be a leader. His actions are a series of ten verbs in quick succession in these two verses. He’s taking action himself, being weaned from depending only on God. Community affairs must be handled in this world, not from heaven. (Also compare this to the burning bush, where Moses was reluctant to act against Pharaoh.)

Shattering the tablets is a symbolic act. In Akkadian legal terminology, “breaking the tablet” means invalidating a contract.

V 20: Sarna says

Some think the burning implies the calf was made of wood, overlaid with gold.

The water on which the bits of calf are scattered is described (in the retelling of the story in Deut 9) as “a stream that flowed down the mountain.” The idea is that there was a single source for water, so no one could avoid drinking it. The term “made the Israelites drink it” implies there was some sort of trial by ordeal, as per Numb 5:12ff, where drinking bitter water mingled with dust is a trial by ordeal for a suspected adulteress.

Despite several incidents already of grumbling, Moses never describes the people as “bad.” Aaron, however, in v 22, says the people “are prone to evil.” Aaron offers the silliest excuse in the bible (or perhaps in all of literature): “I just threw this gold in the fire, and out came a calf!” Later, in Deut 9, when Moses recounts the story to the next generation, he doesn’t even mention Aaron’s excuse, it’s too absurd to repeat.

V 25: It appears that there was a riot going on. Aaron is blamed, so his lame excuse is clearly ignored and he is held guilty. The NIV translates “laughingstock” but JPS translates as “menace.” The Levites (Moses’ tribe) remain faithful, and are rewarded by becoming the assistants in rituals, to stand beside and help the priests. The slaughter of the sinners is clearly a unique situation (the order preceded by a direct “This is what the LORD says”) and not a precedent for future human law courts. And, presumably, the ordeal by water distinguished the guilty from the innocent.

Verse 30: The next day, after the slaughter, Moses asks for forgiveness for the people. The line “blot me out of the book” reflects the belief in heavenly (metaphorical) “books” There is a book of life (Psalm 69), a book of divine decrees (mentioned in Ezekiel, Zachariah, and a few psalms), and a book of remembrance (Malachai 3.) Moses is asking to die if Israel is not forgiven.

However, God doesn’t actually forgive at this point, but responds to Moses that there is both individual accountability and collective responsibility. In verse 34, no longer is God leading them directly, but “My angel.”

The plague in verse 35 presumably happened earlier, striking those who failed the ordeal by water. And both the people and Aaron share guilt – the people, for demanding a visible god, and Aaron for giving in to them.
MULTIPLE AUTHORS (Documentary Theory):
For those that believe in multiple authors, Chs 32 and 33 are almost entirely the E-author, from the Northern Kingdom. The E-author tends to oppose the Aaronic priests, so Aaron is made to look quite foolish in this version of the story.

Bull worship was common in many cultures. In Egypt the Apis Bull was a comparable object of worship, which some believe the Hebrews were reviving in the wilderness; alternatively, some believe the God of Israel was associated with or pictured as a calf/bull deity through the process of religious assimilation and syncretism. Among the Egyptians’ and Hebrews’ neighbors in the Ancient Near East and in the Aegean, the Aurochs, the wild bull, was widely worshiped, often as the Lunar Bull and as the creature of El.

From www.jewishencyclopedia.com:

—In Rabbinical Literature:

Next to the fall of man, the worship of the golden calf is, in rabbinical theology, regarded as the sin fraught with the direst consequences to the people of Israel. “There is not a misfortune that Israel has suffered which is not partly a retribution for the sinof the calf” (Sanh. 102a). The very seriousness of the offense leads the Rabbis to find circumstances extenuating the guilt of the people, and to apologize for Aaron’s part in the disgraceful affair. The initiative was taken not by the Israelites, but by the Egyptians who had joined them at the time of the Exodus (Ex. xii. 38), and who were the source of a great deal of trouble to Moses and the Israelites (Num. xi. 4); for the Egyptians, when the time fixed for Moses’ descent from the mountain had expired, came in a body—forty thousand of them, accompanied by two Egyptian magicians, Yanos and Yambros, the same who imitated Moses in producing the signs and the plagues in Egypt—to Aaron, and told him that it was the sixth hour of the fortieth day since Moses left, the hour he named for his return (a play upon the word , Ex. xxxii. 1= , “the six [hours] have come”), and that Moses had not yet returned: he would never come. Satan took advantage of the opportunity, and brought gloom and confusion into the world to alarm the people. Then he told them Moses was dead, as the sixth hour had come and he had not arrived. Seeing he was not believed, he showed them a bed in the mountain with Moses in it. This convinced them that Moses was really dead; and they demanded that Aaron make them a god (Shab. 89a; Tan., Ki Tissa, 19). Hereupon Hur stepped in and rebuked them for their ingratitude to the God who had performed so many miracles for them. He was at once put to death, and Aaron was threatened with the same fate. The latter saw that he must accede to their request, but he sought a device whereby the execution of their demand would either be made impossible or at least be delayed until Moses came; for he was not ensnared by the wiles of Satan. So he ordered them to bring the golden ornaments of their wives; knowing that the women would be more grateful to God, and would refuse to part with their jewels for idolatrous purposes. His expectation was realized. Their jewels could not be obtained; and the men had to give their own. Aaron had no choice but to put the gold into the fire. A calf came out alive and skipping!

One explanation is that this was due to the magical manipulation of the Egyptian sorcerers. Another is more ingenious: On the night of the Exodus, Moses searched all Egypt for Joseph’s remains, but could not find them. At last Serah, the daughter of Asher, pointed out to him the place in the Nile where the Egyptians had sunk an iron chest containing Joseph’s bones (Tan., l.c.; Ex. R. xli. 7). Moses took a splinter, wrote on it the words (“Come up, ox”; Joseph being compared to an ox; see Deut. xxxiii. 17), and threw it into the water, whereupon the chest rose to the surface (Tan., Beshallaḥ, ii.; Tosef., Soṭah, iv. 7; Soṭah 13a). This splinter was secured by Micah, and when Aaron cast the gold into the fire, he threw the splinter after the gold, and as a result a calf came out (compare Micah).

Another reason given for this aberration of the people is that when God came down on Mount Sinai to give the Law, he appeared in the chariot with the four beasts of Ezekiel. These the people saw; and it was one of them, the ox (Ezek. i. 10), that they made an image of and worshiped. This was one of the pleas Moses made to palliate the offense of the people (Ex. R. xliii. 8).

The tribe of Levi did not join in the worship of the calf (Yoma 66b). If all the people had abstained from worshiping it, the tables of stone would not have been broken, and as a result the Law would never have been forgotten in Israel, and no nation could have had any power over the Hebrews ('Er. 54a).

The mysterious way in which Aaron described the origin of the golden calf gave rise to superstitious beliefs; and it was ordained by the Rabbis that this part of the account of the golden calf (Ex. xxxii. 21-25, 35) should be read at public worship in the original, but should not be translated by the “meturgeman” (Meg. iv. 10; Tosef. Meg. iv. [iii.] 36; Yer. ib. iv. 75c; Bab. ib. 25b).
In the Koran. —In Mohammedan Literature:

The story of the golden calf is mentioned in the Koran (suras xx. 88 et seq., vii. 149 et seq.) as follows: “Thereupon [after he had received the Law on the mountain] Moses returned to his people, angry and afflicted, and said: ‘. . . Did the time [of my absence] seem too long to you, or did you desire that wrath from your Lord should fall upon you because you have broken the promise given to me?’ They answered: ‘We have not broken our promise given to you of our own authority, but we were made to bring loads of the ornaments of the people, and we cast them [into the fire], and Al-Samiri did likewise.’ And he brought forth unto them a living, bellowing calf. And they said: ‘This is your God and the God of Moses, but he hath forgotten him.’ . . . Moses said: ‘O Aaron, what hindered you, when you saw them do wrong, from following me [to the mountain]; have you been disobedient to my order?’ Aaron answered: ‘Oh, son of my mother, do not lay hold of my beard or my head—behold the people made me weak and almost murdered me.’ And Moses said: ‘How about you, O Samiri?’ He answered: ‘I saw what they did not see, and I took a handful [of dust] from the footsteps of the messenger and cast it. Thus did my mind guide me.’ Moses said: ‘Go away, and this shall be your punishment in life that you say [to every one you meet]: “Touch me not”; and a threat is awaiting you which you shall not escape. And see, your idol which you have worshiped, we shall burn and throw the ashes into the sea’” (compare also suras ii. 48-51, 86, 87; iv. 152).

When Moses departed for Sinai he made Aaron his deputy. During the absence of Moses, Aaron reminded the people that the ornaments which they had were stolen booty, and told them that they must bury them in a common hole until Moses should decide what was to be done with them. This they did. Samiri threw a clod of the earth, which the horse of the messenger Gabriel had thrown up, on the spot where they had hidden their ornaments; and thereupon God brought forth the calf (Tabari).
Samiri’s Identity with Samael.

This Arabic legend, in describing the fate of Samiri as that of a man compelled to wander, barred from all intercourse with his fellow-men, whom hehimself is bound to warn by his pitiful cry, “Touch me not,” to come not near him, seems to be one of the earliest forms into which was cast the later story of the Wandering Jew current among Christians. Yet on the whole this assumption is inadmissible. Samiri according to Geiger, is identical with Samael. According to the Arabic commentators, however, and, lately, according to Fränkel (“Z. D. M. G.” lvi. 73, with especial reference to Hosea viii. 5), Samiri is indebted for his name to the fact that he belonged to the Samaritan sect. Mohammed knew, perhaps, how much this sect was hated, and (according to the report of an old but evidently lost Midrash) made the seducer a Samaritan in spite of all chronology. So Baidawi (also Palmer’s translation of this sura) holds him to have been “the Samaritan.” This accounts at once both for the rôle here ascribed to him and the fate meted out to him. Mohammed carried in his mind many rabbinical conceits, but in a much confused form. He had an indistinct impression of the rabbinical prejudices against the Samaritans, among which the fact that they worshiped an animal idol and poured out libations to it on their holy mountain was not the least (Yer. 'Ab. Zarah v. 44d, at foot; Ḥul. 6a). But the fact that the idol imputed to the Samaritans was a dove and not a calf became confused in his recollection of hearsay rabbinical stories. It was enough for him to know that the Samaritans were looked upon by the Jews as idolaters or even worse (Yer. Ta’anit iv. 66b; Yer. M. Ḳ. iii. 83b, middle), to make the Samaritan the arch-seducer, and artificer, by “magic,” of the idol. That the Jews would hold no intercourse with the Samaritans may also have been among the disjointed fragments of Mohammed’s Biblical and rabbinical lore. Hence under the decree his “Samaritan” was condemned to wander and never to permit another to defile himself by close contact.

That not Aaron, but another, was the real culprit in the making of the calf is also reported in a rabbinical account (Sanh. 102, 2), according to which Micah (Judges xvii. et seq.) was its maker. The threatening of Aaron and the bleating of the calf are likewise founded on rabbinical sources (Sanh. 5; Pirḳe R. El. 45).

Before the expulsion of Samiri, Moses (in accordance with Ex. xxxii. 20 et seq.) ordered the calf to be reduced to dust and the powder mixed with their drinking-water (sura ii. 87). When they drank the water it caused them great pain, and they called upon Moses for help. Then Moses told them to slay one another (sura ii. 51). Thus 70,000 were killed. The Lord sent an intense darkness to prevent their seeing one another, so that recognition of the corpses should not induce them to forbear (“jalal al-din”). Finally, the crying of the women and children moved the heart of Moses, who prayed to God to stop the murdering; and his prayer was answered immediately.
Bibliography:

Geiger, Was Hat Mohammed aus dem Judenthume Aufgenommen? pp. 165-168;
Weil, Biblische Legenden der Muselmänner, pp. 169, 172;
M. Grünbaum, Neue Beiträge zur Semitischen Sagenkunde, p. 169.

—Critical View:

As the Exodus narrative stands, it is clearly composite. For example, in verse 7 Moses is warned that the people have sinned; and in verses 9 to 12 he seems to understand clearly what their sin is, and yet in verses 16 to 19 he is greatly surprised at what has occurred. Again, verses 7 to 12 represent Moses as praying for the sinners before he came down from the mount, while verses 30 to 34 represent him as praying practically the same prayer the day after the destruction of the image was over. Palpably the two are of different authorship. Again, verses 25 to 29 describe the vengeance that was executed on the sinners, while verse 34 regards it as still future. Critics therefore regard the narrative as made up of strata from two documents (Jahvist and Elohist), though they do not altogether agree as to the points of division. The main stratum of the story is, however, thought to come from the Ephraimitish writer (Elohist), though there are a sufficient number of points in the story taken from the Jahvist to show that his work also contained the narrative.

The purpose of the original story seems to have been, as Budde thinks, to account for the selection of the tribe of Levi for the priesthood. A great crisis in the worship had arisen in which the Levites had stood for Yhwh, and punished all that opposed themselves, so that they were consecrated to the service of the priesthood (see Levi and the literature cited below). Many critics see in it a polemic against the calf-worship of Beth-el and Dan, and no doubt an Ephraimitish writer of the prophetic circles of the time of Hosea would shape the tale with a view to the religious reforms in which he was interested. It is probable that at this time there was introduced into the story the view that the offense punished by the Levites was the making of a calf; but it also seems likely that there underlies the present narrative a much earlier form of the tale, a form that pictured some other crisis in which the Levites distinguished themselves and thus were elected as the priestly tribe.
Bibliography:

Kuenen, Hexateuch, p. 251, London, 1886;
Kittel, History of the Hebrews, i. 199 et seq., London, 1895;
Bacon, Triple Tradition of the Exodus, pp. 127-138, Hartford, 1894;
Budde, Religion of Israel to the Exile, pp. 85 et seq., New York, 1899;
Carpenter and Harford-Battersby, Hexateuch, ii. 130-132, London, 1900;
and the commentaries on Exodus, especially those of Dillmann and Holzinger.

I’m not certain I quite agree with the “bride being unfaithful on the wedding night” analogy, since the point is also made that the people seem to be worshipping God, just not in the way he prefers. I don’t know that there’s a more accurate analogy… the one that springs to mind is that it’s as if the bride speaks self-chosen vows rather than the ones her husband prepared for her. In that it’s respectful in the sense of the intended meaning, but not in the sense of taking the other person’s preferences into account. I’m not sure that entirely works either, though.

I’m far from a Bible scholar, this isn’t news. So the whole “You’ve committed a great sin! Hold on a mo, we’re just going to go kill thousands of our own people for a bit. Right, now, back to the great sin you committed which you deserve punishment for!” is new to me. I can’t see a way to agree with Dex’s interpretation of a riot being put down; the “running wild” seems much more along the lines of whatever loose inhibitions are being described by “dancing”. I don’t see any indication that violence is occurring; perhaps it’s different in translation. If we use the interpretation of them drinking the gold dust from the calf as a trial of ordeal, even more so; they’re clearly calmed down or in hands by that point, not rioting. Though there would seem to be the potential alternative that what’s being described is just a result; there’s gold dust in the water, so now when they drink it they’re going to be drinking it.

Wow. Some really good stuff here. I might have read it once but then I’m sure I “relied” on the Ten Commandments movie to remind me of it. Obviously, it’s missing a few things here and there.

I do find it interesting that the people need to be taught how to worship this “new” god that doesn’t have or want a physical presence. The idea is just that he is with them at all times and doesn’t need a specific “focus” for lack of a better word.

Also, I don’t know why, but I was suddenly struck with the thought of Mt. Sinai = Mt. Olympus? It’s probably not true but I had never noticed it before or connected it! :smack: (Even if there is no correlation between the two, I had never made that connection before.)

I did take it to be that Aaron feared for his life as I read the passage, so he did something that he thought might work. Assumably, though, he should have had more faith in the lord?

Good stuff here! Thanks!

vislor

The authors of the E passages may have been Levites in the Northern Kingdom of Israel. They were rivals with the Aaronoid priests in Judah for religious authority and expected to be the religious leaders of Israel. They had been scandalized when King Jeroboam, who established the northern kingdom, allowed golden calves to be built and worshiped. The story of the golden calf may have been a simultaneous swipe at their rivals to the south and pagan practices in the north.

I agree it doesn’t work. The wedding has already happened. The vows have already been given. Israel agreed to these vows. Then she breaks them.

As for why it’s a problem, I point out what they actually said. The calf is the god “who brought them up out of Egypt.” A man-made image is the one responsible for what happened. God is not a man-made image. If God is man-made, then man is ultimately responsible for the wonders God does. You cannot worship your own creation, even as an indirect way to worship God himself.

If you keep the wedding metaphor, the whole thing sounds insane. The wife and husband get married, and the husband goes off for a few days. The wife gets lonely, and worries that the husband isn’t coming back. But, rather than go out and cheat with another guy (worshiping a false god), she instead crafts a doll that she says is actually her husband. The doll did all those loving things for her that led to them getting married.

Just because the wife pretends the doll is her husband doesn’t mean she’s actually having marriage relations with her husband. The calf is not God, so they aren’t actually worshiping God, even if that’s what they were trying to do.

There was a discussion last week about whether the skills granted to the craftsmen to make the ark referred to a direct bestowal of knowledge, or whether it just referred to the idea that even skills honed through experience and graft could be attributed to and worthy of thanks to God. That kind of, I guess, second-level attribution seems like it might be applicable here.

I agree with your husband-doll analogy, though, that’s much better.

Clearly both Yahweh and Moses had anger management problems.

BigT:

Not so. G-d is unique and singular. The worshipers of the Golden Calf referred to it in the plural, implying a plurality. “These,” i.e., this one and others like it. (notwithstanding the footnote in your first post that amends the language to singular; I do not know the provenance of that footnote)

Also, since there is only one G-d, any analogy to cheating is inherently imperfect, because it is not possible for the Israelites to actually find “another guy.” But that’s the nature of the prohibition of idolatry in a monotheistic religion - the worshipping of some other entity as if it had some genuine power over them, instead of addressing worship to the source of all power.

It sounds more like you have a problem with Dex’s interpretation, rather than my attempt to complete his analogy. You disagree with the interpretation that they were not turning to other gods.

I don’t disagree with you. By creating an idol, they were, in effect, creating a new god. In a monotheistic religion, all false gods are just man-made idols. What I found interesting in Dex’s interpretation is the idea that they may not have been aware they were creating a new god or gods.

As for the singular/plural issue: as Dex says, that’s been a hot debate for some time. It’s translated differently in different versions. Not even all Christian or all Jewish versions agree. I just noticed that the JPS translates it as singular.

It’s the pesky fact that the Hebrew word for God (Elohim) is actually plural. It is usually distinguished from an actual plural by use of singular adjectives and verbs. And, yes, in this case, it does use a plural adjective (these). But the antecedent is clearly a singular item.

Plus, the subsequent verse has Aaron set up an altar in front of the idol and say they will have a feast celebrating “the LORD.” So it really does seem he is saying that the calf is the LORD.

Finally, when Nehemiah refers back to the incident in chapter 9, the statement is singular. This at least implies that a singular interpretation is possible.

Interesting interpretations. I always thought the folks got bored (or had serious ADD issues) with Moses being gone, were ungrateful and decided to do some serious Idol worship as a big F-U to having left Egypt behind and be in the desert for awhile. I had never seen any interpretations before that the people were just trying to worship God in a visible way, so it’s a very interesting discussion. However, if it was simply about different ways of worshipping in a monotheistic faith, killing a bunch of the people seemed like a serious over-reaction (but I think that a lot of times with the Old Testament)

Yeah, the Sunday School version usually leaves out the people being killed.

I think it does seem a bit less extreme when you realize God had already told them specifically not to do what they did. Still extreme, but at least it doesn’t come out of nowhere. It’s not just ignorance, but disobedience.

It almost comes off as them having trouble trusting a God they couldn’t see.

BigT:

I don’t think it comes across as a matter of trust - it’s a fear of the undiluted power of G-d.

Remember that immediately after the Ten Commandments were spoken, the Israelites begged Moses to act as their sole conduit for communication with G-d, because they were afraid that they wouldn’t be able to handle it (Exodus 20:18-19). Now, seeing that Moses didn’t appear to be coming down the mountain when they expected him to, they were afraid Moses died from the experience himself.

So their reaction was to revert to idolatry as a means of having an intermediary between them and G-d, which, according to Rabbinic sources, was the origin of idolatry in the first place (before it got out of hand and people started worshiping the idols themselves). However, as you noted (in the non-quoted portion of your post), that’s exactly what G-d told them not to do. Even if they could maintain the idea of the idol just being an intermediary between man and G-d, it was wrong of the Israelites to do that, because it represented a repudiation of the special relationship that G-d had granted them.

And don’t lose sight of the fact that it was only a tiny minority of the people who gave in to that fear - only 3,000 out of over 600,000 were killed for the sin. However, on a national level, this is still reckoned as a blemish on their record.

The thing is though, it seems the Israelites were always complaining about stuff once they were led out of Egypt. It seems like either the people were ungrateful little snots or it’s a series of lessons on how seriously hard it is to worship one god without using idols and to be the Chosen People, or God made a mistake and had to work hard to whip these people into line. It’s strange because the people don’t come off as heroes in these passages. You would expect that in most mythologies, but the Israelites don’t come off looking to good as a people and their descendents were the ones who wrote this stuff.

New thread on Chapter 33 (which continues the story.)