The warm fuzzy feeling

Do highly intelligent people experience this feeling less than average intelligence people. Do people of very low intelligence experience this less? Might be the dumbest question of the week but I am going somewhere with it possibly.

Which warm fuzzy feeling?

I’m sorry, do you mean amiable and having a flayed texture or a comfortably high temperature and indistinct?

The heroin one.

I feel like this is a hint-hint-wink-wink-cough-cough-ifyaknowwhatImean sort of thing, but I don’t know what “warm fuzzy feeling” is a euphemism for.

Is their any correlation between intelligence and sentimentality?

I don’t know what kind of emotion we’re talking about. How is “warm fuzzy” different from “happy” or “joy” or “contentment”?

Are smart people less likely to be happy? While I believe there is evidence that highly intelligent people are prone to depression, this doesn’t mean that dumb people are more likely to be happy. There’s a whole lot of emotions between sadness/apathy and absolute elation.

I guess one could argue that a less intelligent person is more likely to take pleasure in simple things, and that they are more likely be happy since simple things are more accessible and plentiful than less simple things. But someone could also argue that smart people are able to appreciate things on a deeper level, and in doing so enjoy a heightened sense of pleasure and reward. A smart and a not-so smart person may laugh at the same joke. But they will probably laugh for different reasons.

Well, we have one observation in The Fourteenth Book of Bokonon, which Vonnegut quotes in its entirety:

You might find this article interesting: High IQ appears to be related to residential mobility.

What I gather from this is that certain intelligent folks are less likely to become so attached to a particular place that they refuse to ever move. They are less likely to put sentimentality above their pursuit of economic or educational interests.

People who cleave to traditional rituals just because they are traditional are probably very sentimental, but not very analytical. People who are always questioning the need for traditional rituals are likely very analytical, but not very sentimental. I don’t think is earth-shattering revelation.

But I do have a problem inferring from this that intelligence is correlated with low sentimentality. Someone can be highly intelligent and not be analytical. A lot of religious folks are smart, but no doubt very sentimental.

Please expand, again, on what you’re looking for. Not sure that sentimentality really clears it up.

I would guess that intelligent people are likely to be sentimental or warm about some things, say children, at roughly the same rates as less intelligent people. Direction please?

This does seem consistent with my everyday observances. My facebook account is always being flooded with all these little feel good stories and pictures. I think they are nice but they tend to get old pretty quick. I feel like an grouch sometimes but I know I am not really, I just get my jollies from other aspects of life.

Examples might be stories of homeless turning their lives around or dogs making it home after being hopelessly lost for several months. The kind of things being posted on facebook about every 2 minutes.

Funny, I read (okay, skimmed) that article and gathered that if you are considerably more intelligent than average and are born in a rural area, you might tend to feel isolated, given the limited number of people and limited kinds of activities. Just like if you are gay, or possessed of a quite unusual talent, or taste. You simply aren’t going to find enough similar people to, say, run several flavors of leather bar, or tutor you in Tuvan throat singing, or who like reading philosophers in their original languages. Just like you won’t find a store that carries chocolate covered ants. There are things only big cities can manage to offer. Not to mention that highly intelligent people will tend to have an easier time relocating, in general.

Could have absolutely zip to do with “sentimentality”.

I’m rural, religious, and have been known to be sentimental. Does that make me stupid? Just asking.

I’d be inclined to agree with you, but they found that people who migrate out of urban areas tend to have higher IQs than those who stay. If smart people are simply more attracted to the diversity of urban areas, you wouldn’t expect this.

An alternative hypothesis to my original one (inverse relationship between intelligence and sentimentality) is that intelligence is correlated with restlessness and wanderlust. Perhaps the highly intelligent get bored by their environs more easily and are tend to switch things up by moving when their lives grow stale.

Who are you asking? And why would you take such a defensive posture, as no one has said anything about the rural, religious, or sentimental being “stupid”.

“Highly intelligent” is not a virtue or reflection of character. It’s just a trait. If you don’t have it, it just means you’re like most people. Big whoop.

I’ve always lived in the same type of residential area, and I’ve got a weak spot for cats. My ego has no problem accepting that I may share these qualities with not-so intelligent people. I’ve got other qualities that indicate high intelligence. As long as you can claim “smart” qualities as well, then you don’t need to feel especially offended by the conversation we’re having.

Well, but I’m rural, religious, sentimental, and also really cranky sometimes.

I’m of higher intelligence, and I have a warm, fuzzy feeling toward Ulfreida right now. I just melt when people make me laugh. :smiley:

Also, a picture of baby reindeer in the snow.

Quick Google-fu shows that Intelligence and Emotional Intelligence correlate.

One link: http://www.memory-key.com/research/news/correlation-between-emotional-intelligence-and-iq

The issue may be time spent on Facebook. :smiley: