Can deaf people obtain a driver's license?

Can deaf people obtain a driver’s license?

Yes

Absolutely!
There is no hearing test in any state, so far as I know.
I’ve got a few deaf friends; they drive. I presume that they’re licensed.

FWIW, many deaf use convex rear-view and side mirrors to give them a wider field of vision.

I was born with a severe to profound hearing loss due to my mother having rubella when pregnant with me. I had no trouble getting a driver’s license. The only notation made on my driver’s license for “restrictions” was to indicate that I wore glasses.

The two things I must do while driving:

(1) I must make more of an effort to be visually aware of what’s going on around me, since even with powerful hearing aids I will not have anything close to resembling normal hearing.

(2) I must minimize the amount of conversation I have with others while driving. I simply cannot lip-read safely while driving, for doing that will mean my taking my eyes off the road for an unacceptable length of time. My family has figured this out…except for my mother. She has to be reminded every time she’s a passenger in the car with me.

Why of course we can. In my opinion, when we aren’t drinking & driving, we are generally better drivers. Cuz aren’t holding a phone, listening to the stereo, etc.

One insurance agent wouldn’t insure me though. he was sweating pretty much when I talked to him so I got another agent.

Yes.
My brother is deaf & he got his license with no problem.

Phobos, its been years since I took the test but how do they do the driving part of the test if your brother can’t hear the instructor?

Yes, but it is illegal for a hearing driver to wear headphones. Go figure.

Because hearing drivers don’t compensate well for the loss of that sense, as far as traffic around them is concerned.

Two points:

1. A hearing person wearing headphones is getting sensory input unrelated to the task at hand, which may be distracting. A deaf person is not getting sensory input (that’s why they’re deaf) and is not going to be distracted by the lack of sound.

2. My experience with deaf acquaintances and friends is that they are far more attuned to subtle visual cues. They notice things better than the non-deaf. Also, the deaf kids I knew in high school went to a slightly different driver’s ed course, where there was considerable emphasis on checking rear and side mirrors and otherwise using vision to compensate for poor or absent hearing.

One more thing - it’s legal for a motorcycle wearer to have a helmet (which blocks sound) or an intercom system. At least in the states I’ve lived in. Then again, because of the air rush at freeway speeds, a biker isn’t going to hear much other than WOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH anyhow.

The reason why it is legal for motorcyclists to wear a helmet while driving is because in a crash situation, the person on the motorcycle tends to go flying.

I’m assuming you’re asking about the situation in America, but just to add - yes in Britain too. Both my parents are profoundly deaf and both have car and motorbike licences. Both have been driving for over 30 years and neither of them have ever been the cause of an accident. Having been deaf all their lives, they are quite used to compensating visually for the lack of aural input. It is not required that they state their deafness on their licenses.

As an addendum for a question that often follows the “can they drive?” question - they are as aware of emergency vehicles as any other drivers - the flashing lights are very, very noticeable to someone who is visually aware.

Fran

I was taught in my driver’s ed class that, on average, deaf/hearing impaired drivers have better driving records than hearing folks due to the above-stated reasons (increased alertness, less distraction).

Both my brother-in-law and his wife are deaf. They both have licenses. As do all their deaf friends.

So I would say, yes.

They seem to pay better attention to the road than non-hearing people, as well.

My apologies if this is seen as a hijack, but since the OP has been answered, I’ve got some doubts about some of your statements. This applies not only to SilkyThreat, but others who’ve made the same claim in this thread. Where is the evidence that hearing impaired drivers pay any better attention to the driving environment than hearing drivers? (with or without headphones or other auditory devices) This is not intended to be a snipe. I’ve heard this claim before but never been given any hard evidence to back it. Please provide some cites to back your claims.

evilhanz, come drive with me, you’ll see.

When I worked as an electrician, I worked with 2 deaf people, both of whom had Missouri driver’s licenses.

I won’t back up Silky’s claim though, because although Corey was a good driver, Shannon drove like a maniac and scared the hell out of me.

I (purposely) didn’t say that deaf people are better drivers at all. Both my (deaf) parents are excellent conscientous drivers, but I’ve been in cars with deaf people who drive like maniacs. I think the point is not that being deaf makes a person a better driver, it’s that being deaf does not limit one’s driving ability. There have been studies made - there’s one quoted here that apparently suggest that deaf drivers are better drivers, but being unable to find a link to the report itself, I remain sceptical of its veracity. My opinion is that there are good deaf drivers and bad deaf drivers and the deafness doesn’t have much to do with it.

Fran

Is “purposely” a word? If it isn’t, i meant to say “purposefully”. Carry on.

We have had a married couple come make repairs and do remodeling in our mobile home. They live a few miles away. Both are skilled carpenters and builders, and both are quite capable drivers. The woman is apparently deaf as a post and cannot speak articulately, but she knows ASL and reads lips–that’s how she communicates with her husband and with us. And she does drive.

But I never thought of this. I haven’t the slightest idea! :o