The Hobbit: Thorin was Louis XVIII

Without insisting that the entire story be a allegory of the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars, I do see an analogy. Thorin was in the line of succession, spent years in exile nursing his bitterness and resentment, had a motly group of loyalists as his followers, when his throne is finally restored it goes to his head, and he dies after a comparatively brief time, the throne passing to his brother. For all that people complain that fantasy glorifies monarchy, at least in this case Tolkien presents a rather less than complementary picture.

Not a good comparison. Throrin was a competent leader who managed to put himself back in power. Louis was not a competent leader and was put back on the throne by the British and other Allied armies.

And didn’t Tolkien hate the French and other speakers of Romance Languages?

Not as I read it. Captured by trolls- asses saved by Gandalf. Captured by goblins- asses saved by Gandalf. Treed by wargs- asses saved by eagles. All supplies lost- asses saved by Beorn. Lost and starving in Mirkwood, then taken prisoner by elves- asses saved by Bilbo. Berefit of supplies and equipment yet again- asses saved by Lake Town. Trapped by rampaging dragon- asses saved by Bard. Army of goblins attacks- asses saved by coalition forces (although Thorin himself is mortally wounded). And for the brief time he was “king” his main accomplishment was to pridefully tell everyone to kiss his ass. In short, Thorin was an utterly unworthy tool of fate, who events happened around in spite of himself.

Thorin was competent as a warrior in a set battle he knew was coming, be it at Moria or at Erebor. Otherwise, not a leader.

He’s the typical Tolkien doomed semi-hero with a fatal flaw.

In the movie, he actually reminded me of Boromir, Jr. (or Senior, if you want to get chronological about it) - falling under a spell, turning into an asshole, then redeeming himself while dying in battle.

Nah, the Elves were French. Dwarves were German, Hobbits were English, Men were American, and they all teamed up to defeat the Communist menace from the East, although it would be the last hurrah of Old Europe, who would hand the reins over to the Americans.

I largely agree, except the Dwarves were clearly Scottish. Dain’s accent, and Gimli’s “laddie” comments. I know the Tooks also seemed a wee bit Scottish, but maybe they were just Irish?

Seriously (comical parallels, aside) I have read that Tolkien was, pretty well lifelong, not keen on the French, and French culture. (Don’t know about him and the other Romance-language nations.) For many centuries, many English folk have not been fans of the people on the other side of the Channel – and vice versa (“the universal law of neighbours” likely in play). I understand that Tolkien was bitterly regretful about the (Norman)-French invasion of England in 1066 – would have greatly preferred the continuation of an Anglo-Saxon England.

I wonder whether JRRT’s dislike of the French, was intensified by his service in WWI. From what I’ve read, many Brits who fought in that war found sub-optimal, the behaviour of many French people whom they encountered when they were in France – civilians, and military when the two countries’ armed forces abutted on each other. During and after the war, Francophobia bloomed among many Brits who had served in France, and who had previously had little or no problem with the French. I have no doubt that the reverse of the same phemomenon, also occurred.