How is camphor a drug?

One of those my strange addiction reality shows had a woman who ate Vicks Vaporub, yea I was like :eek:

But googling I found a lengthy article from an Indian source saying that camphor is addictive, apparently well known in India, and replacement treatment involves anti-convulsive drugs. But nothing on wikipedia or elsewhere says anything like that about camphor, in fact they say consuming it orally causes seizures etc.

Im asking what is its action? What receptors is it effecting, I can find nothing on this online.

I don’t know about other types, but ‘brown camphor’ oil contains mostly safrole, a restricted substance in many places because of its use as a precursor to MDMA (ecstasy).

Camphor has a variety of effects. Its usual therapeutic action is on some of the ion channels found in sensory neurons (most notably TRPV3), but its toxicity at high dosages or chronic use are more likely due to one or more of its metabolic effects, such as accumulation of porphyrins.

This paper was useful, and you may find it interesting.

I remember coming across a recipe for some sort of drug around 20 years ago and one of the main ingredients were those (can’t remember the name) little nasal inhaler tubes, about the size of a lip balm applicator, the active ingredient in them was camphor. Seems to me they had a green motif and may actually have been a vicks product.