The Legend of Zelda, A live action Netflix original based on the game. Welcome to Cafe Society Link

A more family-friendly Game of Thrones?

So the question now is; Will my childhood be ruined?

I’m pretty skeptical that this will satisfy ALL of the ‘Legend of Zelda’ fan base, even if the reception is generally good. No matter what, there will be fans of the game who wont like it, because it wont match their individual standards.

I mean, it could be epic.

Will it patronize fans of the game? Would my father, (a GoT fan), watch it since he’s not familiar with the game? Will there be death? Blood?

Most importantly… Who plays Link???

I loved Zelda, so I don’t think I can watch this. If they make a Metroid movie I don’t think I could watch it, either.

Cue the epic wailing when Link is shown using the Master Sword right-handed…

The comparison to Game of Thrones makes me think the producers are just going to grab a few Legend of Zelda concepts – the setting, the weapons – and use them to create a generic fantasy show. I did love the IGN mock trailer from a few years ago though, so I’m not opposed to the idea of a properly done live-action LoZ show.

He uses his blade right handed as long as you are looking at him from the right-hand side. Which would be really hilarious if they actually did that in the show.

I asked a friend about this… which timeline will they be using? I think I saw a website a while back trying to put all the games in chronological order, and I think they even had to add alternate universes to make them all fit. Which one will they use?

There isn’t much to Zelda other than a vaguely medieval fairy tale setting and a guy in a green costume that would look extremely goofy in live-action. They can throw in a couple of the McGuffins from the game, I guess. But I’d think trying to shoehorn in the Zelda IP would be more trouble than it worth if they wanted to just make a fairy-tale type show.

Anyhoo, the actual source for this is pretty shaky. I doubt it’ll actually happen.

Well excuuuuse me, princess.

The timeline is an official thing from Nintendo. That said, the games play heavily on the “legend” part and more or less tell the same story using different art styles and slightly different character beats.

Netflix could use concepts from all of them and it would all feel sufficiently “Zelda” to most fans.

If they make a fantasy series with a left-handed hero who uses a sword, bow, bombs, and boomerang, that’s close enough for me. And I’m sure there’s some way to make a green costume not look dorky.

Link’s costume is really not all that different from some concepts that have already been used for Robin Hood. I don’t see too much of a challenge there.

Certainly less of a challenge than putting a real-life person in the place of a computer character who doesn’t really have human proportions.

As for the story… I wonder how many people will be in the same boat as me: aware of the names and the characters, but not so much the stories. I played the first Zelda on NES, but none of the games that followed. I’m not even sure I could tell you the plot of the first Zelda except that you had to kill a series of bad guys to save a princess. Have him push some rocks around, throw some bombs, discover some secret passages… I’ll feel right at home.

Like I said, that’s the plot of all of them. A few names might get changed, but the basic plot of every Zelda game involves Link rescuing Zelda from Ganon because he wants to use her to get the Triforce which will allow him to [grumble grumble fantasy stuff].

I hate to be a curmudgeon, but I’m not optimistic. Zelda games are all about letting you BE Link and explore Hyrule. You get to feel like a hero, because you kill the big monsters and solve the tough puzzles. The strengths of these games aren’t the deep character development or intricate storytelling. It’s all about engaging aesthetics, varied locations, and challenging-but-“fair” puzzles.

I think most game-to-film adaptations are questionable, but I think there’s something about LoZ that really does make it seem particularly ill-suited.

That said, it will likely be lovely to look at.

I think it needs to be a quiet, introspective show. A lot like Samurai Jack, really. A show where 90% of most episodes is just scenic exploration, traversal, and sometimes combat. It can be broken up with dialogue, but it should be rare. A more live action comparison would be like Castaway, I guess.

The Game of Thrones comparison doesn’t seem to make me optimistic on this front, but the thing is we have no idea if this is even going to get off the ground. Absolutely everything is baseless speculation.

Voluntary reading ahead, (don’t let musings of mine derail the thread)

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how they could turn Mario into a TV series over the years. Though I would MUCH prefer it to be CG than live action. I always enjoyed watching people play Mario, as well as playing it myself. I would dream of a show that’s “adventurous”, (not unlike Ducktales and Indiana Jones), with a thread linking most Mario games together chronologically. Each episode would be a tale told by someone in the Mario universe, and have a different “look” to it. For example; when it came time to tell Mario’s origin story, (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island), it would be narrated or introduced by a Yoshi. Due to Yoshi’s child-like persona, the episode could look like it was created with pastel crayons, just like the game.

The Mario 64 episode would be told by a Lakitu. A reporter in the Mushroom Kingdom who was filming Mario and/or Princess Peach for a story, and wound up in the middle of Bowser capturing the Princess and Mario going to save her. The episode ark would be uncut… as in, everything, from beginning to end, would be recorded with Lakitu’s camera. Something that would be difficult if it were live action.

Another thing would be physics. Unlike ‘Ducktails’, for example, Mario can only jump so high and so far. Sure, he would have special shoes that make him jump better than your usual pudgy man with short legs, (developed by Professor Egad), but there’s a limit… just like there is in the game. I would want the show to be grounded in some ways, because it’s more intense when you know the character’s not ‘invincible’… unless you get a Super Star Power Up. lol. Basically, The more vulnerable the characters are, the more suspenseful I think it would be.

I’ve worked out in my head how to incorporate many of Mario’s games into the story, including Donkey Kong and the original Mario Bros. Though some of the games would be less of a focus of the series and wouldn’t require a full episode dedicated to it. There’s also the question of where Mario comes from, (Today, he’s got an Italian accent, but it would said that he came from Brooklyn, while Yoshi’s Island had him delivered by a stork to his supposed parents). Also, are they twins, or is Mario older.

I wouldn’t stick with EVERYTHING in the video games, (Super Mario Bros. 2 [USA] would have a surprise ending that acknowledges the game’s ending, but takes a different turn.) Also, Toad, (of the Toadstools), would have a surprising characteristic that’s not in the games… a somewhat humorous nod to his persona in the games.

End of my idea for a Mario TV Series.

I think making LoZ a live action show would be a pretty big risk. Jragon has an interesting idea of making it an adventure show with little dialogue and interaction. Thanks for sharing that… it would be interesting to see a show go that way.

I agree with this but I don’t think there is much basis for a show there, even the most memorable SJ shows are memorable because of the characters Jack encounters.

I think a LOZ adaptation suffers from two things, which ironically are also what a Metroid adaptation would suffer from.

1.Very little actual plot, I suppose they could expand Ganon’s backstory but other than that…

2.The games are mostly about solo exploration, just you on your lonesome solving puzzles in a dungeon with no one to interact with. That is cool to play, boring to watch.

Whatever they produce, I doubt it will be as funny as The Legend of Neil, which was a brilliant little adaptation of the game produced on a shoe string budget. I’d highly recommend it, it’s one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever watched.

To some extent, you could say the same about the Tomb Raider/Lara Croft games. When they made it into a movie, they went with a mixture of James Bond and Indiana Jones and stuck the title character into it.

And don’t make me bring up the movie version of the Battleship game. :slight_smile:

Ganon’s backstory became ridiculously detailed after Ocarina of Time. And it only built out from there. An adaptation could take all or part of it and tell a few seasons worth of story.

Have you played Hyrule Warriors? It adds a variety of companions that accompany Link the entire time. This band of warriors approach could definitely work.