Quadrupling (or longer!) the Life of Razor Blades – a Shaving Thread: spend only $500, not $8,000

This is a little lengthy. The TLDR version is: this info will save me $7,500 over the course of my expected (God-willing) hopeful lifetime. Instead of spending $8,000 on razor blades in my life I will instead spend only $500.
This is mostly for razor blade users, not so much for electric shaver users. Mostly for men, but women can benefit too.

Frugality (value) and sentimentality are the main drivers for this post. Frugality has two aspects, making razor blades last longer, and changing what type of blade I use – it was the Gillette Fusion 5-blade, pretty much since it was released (in 2006 according to Wikipedia, sounds about right to me). I’ll get to sentimentality later.

I’m 53 and if God-willing I live to 90 then at $30 for an 8-pack and with Fusion blades lasting about a week, that’s almost $4 a week. I have to shave every day. You may not have to, and regardless, YMMV. But, that’s about $8,000 for the next 40 years. Yikes!

At $4 a week, am I being unreasonably cheap? I think not. I’m not afraid to spend money, so long as I get quality and most importantly value in return. But I can do better than $4 a week. A lot better.

Making Razor Blades Last Longer: for the last 3 years my blades have lasted at least four weeks and frequently longer. Here’s what I‘ve been doing, it’s a simple 3-step process:

1. Clean the razor using an old, worn out toothbrush and a dedicated cup to hold hot water (uses less water than a hot running tap). The bristles get between the blades and clean out the gunk there. Don’t forget the back side of the blades. Get it all clean.
  2. When done, with my mouth I carefully blow out the residual water and any residual gunk.
  3. After blowing dry, wipe dry using a towel. You want the blades to be clean and dry. Corrosion is the most significant contributor to blade wear. Store it dry.

That’s it. With that I’ve gone from $4 a week ($8,000 lifetime) to $4 a month and $2,000 lifetime. A $6,000 savings. That’s a new motorcycle, like a Kawasaki KLR-650: http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-KLR650. Just from my razor blades lasting longer. Not bad. But it gets better.

First, you may think a toothbrush would dull the blades. Maybe it does a little bit but the benefit of removing the shaving residue far outweighs the detriment of dulling the blade. Clearly it’s the corrosive effects of the water and shaving residue that harms blades the most. Again, I’ve done this for 3 years and blade life is significantly improved – 4 weeks and more, and some blades have lasted 8-10 weeks before I needed to replace them.

Changing the Type of Blade I Use: 2 weeks ago I started using a safety razor – specifically the Merkur Futur. Safety blades cost about $1 each, so compared to $4 above, a blade a week and 40 years expected (hoping!) years, and also figuring in the cleaning quadrupling blade life, that’s one blade per month ($1 per month) X 40 years = $500 for the rest of my anticipated life. A SAVINGS OF $7,500. $500 for my lifetime, instead of $8,000.

Significant savings, no doubt, and when considering the cost of the $100 Merkur Futur handle which may sound pricey, it’s really a no-brainer in the end. Here’s where the sentimentality comes in (also the not-afraid-to-spend-so-long-as-I-get-value part). The Merkur Futur cost $105 at my local mall’s shaving store. It is a nice tool and is something I can use my entire life and then pass down to my family. It’s really a work of art. Here’s a pic: http://www.fendrihan.com/images/MRK700.jpg. A work of art, and it is hefty too. I like its heft.

About Being a First-Time Safety Razor User: Thank goodness for the shaving store at my local mall. They explained the approach, the risks (yes you can easily cut yourself), the technique, and their recommendations. The razor I bought, the Futur, they did not recommend for first-time users. But asking careful questions and understanding the risks and potential issues, I went against their recommendation and bought it. I wanted to buy only one, and not end up with a collection of them like some guys do. I didn’t want to buy a starter and then “graduate” to the adjustable Futur. So far it is working out well. That’s why I bought it there for $105 versus looking online for a lower price – yeah I could’ve saved $30 online, but I wanted to support the advice I got, even though I didn’t take all of their advice. They helped me learn about shaving this way, it’s much more aggressive and you have to be much more careful.

The shaving store guys said, and I fully agree, that razors like the Gillette Fusion offer the best available technology - they really are the best way to shave today, they result in the closest, safest shave. It’s the 100+ years of improving on the old safety razor. You don’t have to be as careful, you can go much (much!) faster, and it shaves closer than a safety razor. But I’ll learn the new technique, get not quite as close a shave, and I’ll also save my $7,500, thank you.

The shaving store guys also recommended shaving in the shower with the hot water to open the pores. People on the razor and shaving boards I’ve seen do this too. I tried it once, but it’s mostly a big waste of water. If you do this, consider changing and saving some of that water for us dry folk in California. Thanks! Have you seen the Earth a New Wild episode on water and the Colorado River? Yeah.

At this point let me take a quick timeout to say I love the new www.dollarShaveClub.com commercials! Fun, entertaining. But about using disposable razors, I don’t like generating excessive trash. Trying to be a little more green, and all that.

A comment on my cleaning method – at the shaving store when I explained how I use the toothbrush, the guy winced. He of course said it’s not recommended because it’ll dull the blade. The key is to clean along the blade’s face, not across it, and when I told him I’m getting 4X and more blade life he just stuck to his guns. I have the data, 3 years of personal experience, and I can’t argue with that. He couldn’t comprehend.

When flying, TSA will not be let me take razor blades in my carry-ons. That’s another consideration. I’ll keep the old Fusion for when I fly.

I don’t think this information is new or revolutionary. I would think someone else has used this same or similar cleaning technique. I thought I’d share it here with my doper brethren (and sisteren, for their legs perhaps) in the hopes that someone else can find significant savings too.

I buy a 26 pack of some decent disposal razor two or three times year from Costco. I use each one for three or four days, and don’t spend any time thinking about how to care for the blades or how much I’m spending. I have no idea what I spend on razors. I don’t think it’s $4 per week, but perhaps it is. If your system is working for you, that’s great. I don’t mean to sound snarky, but (for me) if I were to make a list on ways to save money over the next 40 years, trying to get my blades to last longer would be pretty far down the list.

I use a Fusion razor and I only change the blade every couple of weeks or even once a month. (Gillette even seems to endorse the idea that the blades are good for a year. The twelve-pack says it has “a year of shaves.” This guy carefully dries his razor blade each day and uses the same one for a year.

And if you’re spending a buck each on safety razor blades, you’re buying really expensive ones; I see blades for about ten cents each. Finally, if you really want to save money, switch to a straight razor. (But those things scare me.)

That was my plan. I don’t find it scary so much as a real pain in the ass to get a good shave. I can take my mach 3 and get a good shave in 3 minutes while being 75% asleep. To get a good shave with a straight razor I need to be alert and it takes much longer. I guess I’m not patient enough to practice and shell out the money ever couple months instead of never buying a razor again.

I remembering hearing about this method on the Clark Howard show years ago and whoever was on the show with him said ‘that sounds like way too much work, maybe I’ll just blow the excess water off of it when I’m done.’ That’s what I started doing for a while. Just rinse it off really well and blow the water off. I’m not doing some 10 minute ritual each time I shave that involves more hot water and electricity and a complex drying process. However, knocking off some extra water didn’t seem like it could hurt and maybe it would help. Whether or not it actually did save the stainless steel blades from edge damaging corrosion, I don’t know. I never shaved every day to begin with and then I grew in a full beard so I didn’t do a very thorough job of testing it.

If you really just want to save money wouldn’t it be better to just buy a decent $150-$250 electric?

Well, save the money and retain your dignity, too.

Wow you spend a lot of time thinking about shaving.

I change the blade on my old Mach 3 maybe 4 times a year. I don’t do anything special to take care of it. Works fine for me.

How much time would you spend on this over the course of your life?

How long would it take to calculate that?

It’s one way to save, not the only.

I generally use an electric. I prefer a top notch Norelco. I’ve had about 5 shavers in the past 40ish years. They give me a closer shave, and I’m dexterous enough to be able to do it without looking. I have safety razors, but rarely use them. They just don’t work as well for me.

Your Fusion blades, that’s pretty good. Maybe my face is more corrosive than yours.

Maybe my blades are expensive, I’ll shop around. I only started with a small pack from the shaving shop.

I thought of a straight razor. That’s as far as that went. :smiley:

Yes and that was the shaving shop guy’s point. Those Mach 3s are about as good as you can get but they do come at a cost. Money vs. Time, the same old tradeoff. I’m getting faster with my safety razor as the days go. The first time it took maybe 10 minutes, now I’m down to 4 or 5.

I used to use one, thought about going back but I like the “back to basics” of the safety razor. But I don’t want to go way back to the straight razor.

My method is to grow facial hair like a 12 year old boy.

My blade lasts months.

Maybe that, but also when traveling it takes less space than an electric razor. And I don’t need power, or a plug converter for international travel.

Maybe. It was a slow morning today.

Cool, sounds like you are set then. My post was for those who might want to save a few thou$and over their lifetime.

About 30 seconds per day, X365 X40 years. About 120 hours, lifetime. That’s about $60 an hour to save that $7,500.

It took a few seconds, wasn’t bad.